UK Watch Forum banner

Irrational Things About This Hobby That Annoy You.

785 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jet Jetski 
#1 ·
I just scuffed my 'distressed' leather watch strap: I pretended to be blasé about that for a while, but now the extra and unpaid-for scuff is getting on my nerves.

But if I give it a clean or a rub or a bit of emollient, I might remove some of the 'real' scuffs too. Dilemma.

Anyway, it is obviously OCD to worry about scuffing a distressed leather strap.

Do you have any irrational goat-getters, when it comes to watches?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Two things

18 or 20mm straps on 19mm lugs

19mm straps at five times the price of 18 or 20 mm straps
Took me ages to find a vintage style 19mm strap for the Timex I bought from you! And as you say, not a bargain.

[IMG alt="No photo description available." data-ratio="105.84"]https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/58441305_132346461169933_3388237946774618112_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=0be424&_nc_ohc=EvgRx5h-6mQAX9RbCwK&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=2a78be99376b0031df76881fa3b10c08&oe=5E93AFCD[/IMG]

If the watch suits it (and my Timex woudn't), you can use a 19mm curved bar and it will take a 20mm strap : My Citizen AT is 22mm lug width but the OEM deployant strap is 23mm on a curved bar too. I just had to put plain bars on it for my 22mm leather RAF NATO to suit.

And floating keepers that float too much!
I put them in the position I need and then moisten slightly the inside of the keeper and then a spot - I mean a spot - of superglue gel on the back of the strap in the appropriate place!

#8 ·
I just scuffed my 'distressed' leather watch strap: I pretended to be blasé about that for a while, but now the extra and unpaid-for scuff is getting on my nerves.

But if I give it a clean or a rub or a bit of emollient, I might remove some of the 'real' scuffs too. Dilemma.

Anyway, it is obviously OCD to worry about scuffing a distressed leather strap.

Do you have any irrational goat-getters, when it comes to watches?
Its been covered before but when we buy a brand new watch (and spent a fair amount) many of us are constantly looking for scratches, holding it at different angles etc, and when we see the first scratch we forlornly give it an half hearted rub hoping its going to magic it away :laughing2dw: , this wears off after a few weeks!

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
My pet obsession at the moment is continually finding a misty bloom on the underside of the crystal on older quartz watches that shows up in certain angles of light, especially noticeable on watches with black dials. The solution is simple, I know - just remove the movement and clean the crystal from underneath - but I am just too clumsy to risk doing this on watches I really like. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.