• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Watches going up as the pound sinks.

My email has received several alerts recently with price drop announcements, but the pound having dropped seems like 10%  in the past few weeks, where these are priced in dollars or euros it's not so tempting ...

• Like 1

With lockdowns all over the place and many more to come, I doubt there will be much opportunity to import any watches for the duration. I'm presuming that even ebay stuff from outside the UK is going to get problematic.  I think we will have to enjoy what we have already...:sadwalk:

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

With lockdowns all over the place and many more to come, I doubt there will be much opportunity to import any watches for the duration. I'm presuming that even ebay stuff from outside the UK is going to get problematic.  I think we will have to enjoy what we have already...:sadwalk:

Agreed - there is a nice Lip 24hr 'marinier' on sale, but not being shipped until after the 'crisis' and the Lille based operation opens again.

48 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Unless you can eat one, watches are at the bottom of my current list of priorities. Cherish what you've got. :yes:

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

It is also possible that there will be some good discounts available if stores want to shift as much stock as possible before any stricter controls on people's movements or when the situation improves and they want a quick cash injection into the business.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, richy176 said:

It is also possible that there will be some good discounts available if stores want to shift as much stock as possible before any stricter controls on people's movements or when the situation improves and they want a quick cash injection into the business.

Yeah, I agree that once the worst is over, can see many retailers trying to get back on the feet as quick as possible, can see a lot of discounts for not only quick cash flow but to get foot fall back (especially the high street), loads of folk will be nervous of going back to their old shopping habits in a hurry, retailers will need to make offers to entice them.  

• Like 2

Lots of passed lots at an auction today, but I focussed on cheaper watches.  Addicts still have needs, and watches under £100 might fill the need more than Franck Mullers for the next six months.

Couldn't resist a Tissot Seastar with box and papers as well though!

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

.  Addicts still have needs, and watches under £100 might fill the need more than Franck Mullers for the next six months.

What a  dealer ! :laugh:

• Haha 3

the watches I have been watching have shot up in value due to weak pound so a rethink may be in order , or a complete re think and buy lots of copies of the financial times as I believe the pink paper is softer on the bum :laugh:

deano

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, deano1956 said:

or a complete re think and buy lots of copies of the financial times as I believe the pink paper is softer on the bum :laugh:

deano

I've found a job lot of a politician's autobiography for less than the cost of a single bog roll :yes:;

619hFaMSSDL.jpg

It's printed on paper that soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent.  It's quite a long book, so should last a while. :laugh::laugh:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

As an Amazon-watcher, I have noticed quite a few bargains still being offered, but this is in the lower reaches of the market.

I just wonder, dear deano, whether it will soon be cheaper to buy the Financial Times than toilet roll. At least with newspaper one gets two toilet uses in one - reading matter while sitting on the loo plus the necessary...:laugh:

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I've found a job lot of a politician's autobiography for less than the cost of a single bog roll :yes:;

619hFaMSSDL.jpg

It's printed on paper that soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent.  It's quite a long book, so should last a while. :laugh::laugh:

The pages are a perfect size too. Practice a swift tearing action to remove each individual page whole. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

The pages are a perfect size too. Practice a swift tearing action to remove each individual page whole. :thumbsup:

It's all in the wrist action you know :laugh:

And afterwards you know you've washed your hands for the right length of time by listening to this song; # "Here we go, 2, 3, 4...";  :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

The jewellers shops near me are empty of customers, as is just about anything else that doesn't sell food or bog roll.

• Like 1

If they issue more money in order to float the economies then the good watches will go up relative to currency (and should keep those gains) 

If not pressumably currency will bounce back after this crisis and presumably much of such gains will be lost? 

It might well be a buyers market where the less desirable stock is concerned. I like many others find themselves bereft of work and are tightening the belt though. 

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

If they issue more money in order to float the economies then the good watches will go up relative to currency (and should keep those gains) 

If not pressumably currency will bounce back after this crisis and presumably much of such gains will be lost? 

It might well be a buyers market where the less desirable stock is concerned. I like many others find themselves bereft of work and are tightening the belt though. 

Nobody knows what is going to happen. I have two letters three weeks apart from the "money men". One saying how wonderful everything is, the next, how the $h!t has hit the fan. Don't presume anything. Today's normal is different to yesterday, and tomorrow's will be different to today's. Stay well.

• Like 3

On 19/03/2020 at 12:32, WRENCH said:

Unless you can eat one, watches are at the bottom of my current list of priorities. Cherish what you've got. :yes:

:thumbsup:

I used to eat chocolate watches, do they count.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sabailand said:

I used to eat chocolate watches, do they count.

Only  Cadbury.

• Like 3

Well I shortened my Ebay auctions by accepting cr@p  offers just to shift a couple of watches I don't love or have two of (bought as donors) and one I didn't buy at all from an eBay deal that went wrong ie 5 watches (about 10%).  Only one waiting for payment & to go in the post, but we both said 'it's only a watch' so very amicably it can wait.  It's all bagged up and ready to go when safe.  And a nice chap from Germany accepted my cr@p offer on his watch, so all square.

I am thinking because of this thing a good many people are going to have to liquidate assets like Rolex watches and gold because they need currency to pay mortgages and other costs.   This might mean short term such assets will actually drop though they would remain a reasonable store of wealth long term. 

My hope is a resurgent pound once the crisis lifts, relative to a sluggish euro.  That plus a pressing need on the part of dealers to kickstart turnover.  I'm thinking there are going to be bargains to be had at some point.

10 minutes ago, Jari37 said:

My hope is a resurgent pound once the crisis lifts, relative to a sluggish euro.  That plus a pressing need on the part of dealers to kickstart turnover.  I'm thinking there are going to be bargains to be had at some point.

Hold, hold, hold... Fire! Give it another 12 weeks and I agree that there will be some deals to be had from retail. Looks like the ebay sales are on already.