• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Lucas955

Rolex factory and Corona

Hello. Do you know if Rolex watches are now in production, production and sales or is everything suspended due to corona? Do you think it will affect the price of your watch? The price might go down.

13 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/rolex-shuts-plants-as-watchmakers-prepare-for-worst-year-ever

With regards to price, perhaps when it is discovered you can't eat them or use them as part of your personal hygiene regime, the price may fluctuate. :)

A Rolex can be traded anywhere in the world for loo paper or hand sanitizer or food for that matter so no need to eat them , making them more valuable than ever :whistle:

this is tongue in cheek humour on my part of course :tongue:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, andyclient said:

A Rolex can be traded anywhere in the world for loo paper or hand sanitizer or food for that matter so no need to eat them , making them more valuable than ever :whistle:

this is tongue in cheek humour on my part of course :tongue:

I hear the current exchange rate for a Comex is two packs of new old stock IZAL complete with period porcelain dispenser, and a 1972 bottle of Harpic. (With patina and provenance)

Izal+and+Jayes.JPG

EO5R0OtX0AY3RKb.jpg

• Haha 5

Here's my thoughts on this...

Factory closing = less supply

People self-isolating for what currently feels like it's going to be 12 weeks minimum = when people aren't self-isolating they will want to 'treat themselves' = more demand.

Less supply + more demand = retail prices remaining unchanged, grey market could see price drops as people want to quickly sell to buy essentials - toilet roll and pasta!

What happened during 2008?

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant what happened to Rolex prices during the 2008 financial crisis... Anything we can learn there?

6 minutes ago, zapot said:

Anything we can learn there?

No. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

it'll only go up...

Where ? :laughing2dw:

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Where ? :laughing2dw:

Mine's still accumulating nicely...at the last count, about 4 x the original buying price from an esteemed member and mod on this very site. Around the 12k mark now if you were interested...:naughty:

Edited by Roger the Dodger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Mine's still accumulating nicely...at the last count, about 4 x the original buying price from an esteemed member and mod on this very site. Around the 12k mark now if you were interested...:naughty:

Swap.

s-l300.jpg

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, zapot said:

Sorry, I meant what happened to Rolex prices during the 2008 financial crisis... Anything we can learn there?

In the 2008 crisis prices of Rolex stayed consistent and did not suffer any noticeable falls in prices.

That said we live in very different times where fools are paying way above RRP something unheard of in 2008 when you could pick up most pieces at a discount with maybe the Daytona being the exception.

The world of Rolex has gone crazy in recent years the overheated pieces have seen steady falls from the highs for the past 6 months despite the Speculators/Flippers/Dealers trying their best to keep prices high and maintaining the Hype.

If you need to sell your piece in today's market you may be in for a surprise if you paid above RRP but i would question if you should be buying perceived luxury items that you clearly cannot afford

For me a high value timepiece is something that you should only consider when you're own personal circumstances are in order and a high value timepiece is pretty low in that priority list .

Those who have helped created the overheated market IMO deserve all they get and maybe just maybe a lesson will be learnt,but i very much doubt that will ever happen.

The majority of people who can afford a new Rolex aren't going to be affected by this crisis to the extent that they can no longer afford one.  They've got wealth stashed in the bank and in property as well as the depressed stock market.  Empty shops may lead to a slight increase in availability but possibly only for people already on the waiting list.  Overall very little impact.  Move along people, there's nothing to see here.

4 hours ago, GASHEAD said:

The majority of people who can afford a new Rolex aren't going to be affected by this crisis to the extent that they can no longer afford one.  They've got wealth stashed in the bank and in property as well as the depressed stock market.  Empty shops may lead to a slight increase in availability but possibly only for people already on the waiting list.  Overall very little impact.  Move along people, there's nothing to see here.

Still plenty of people around with a few quid and a phone or a personal shopper :laughing2dw: and like in any crisis there will be some making money, the only minor problem will be if the Rolex facility shuts down due to the current goings on and production is stopped, it is unlikely prices will tank, if anything it could push up second hand prices.

You only need to look at the price of bog rolls on the black market to see how it works

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Still plenty of people around with a few quid and a phone or a personal shopper :laughing2dw: and like in any crisis there will be some making money, the only minor problem will be if the Rolex facility shuts down due to the current goings on and production is stopped, it is unlikely prices will tank, if anything it could push up second hand prices.

You only need to look at the price of bog rolls on the black market to see how it works

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

They have shut down all plants a couple of days ago I believe 

https://www.theday.com/business/20200322/rolex-shuts-all-plants-and-prepares-for-its-worst-year

• Thanks 1

All interesting replies and agree with everyone. 

I'm still going to purchase my OP - just waiting for lockdown to be lifted so I can take a trip to London and collect the piece I've reserved.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 23:07, Roger the Dodger said:

I have been watching the price jumping on the Rolex watches I own. The factory stopping production means that anyone looking at buying a Rolex rather than toilet roll or hand sanitizer will be hard pushed to get what they want any time soon. Wait lists are only going to get longer.

In the last couple of weeks my watches (Rolex and some others) have gone up by around 20% and sometimes by more.

Nobody owns a completely accurate crystal ball so nobody can tell you what is going to happen in the short term, medium term, or short term with Rolex or any other brand. I just hope that the coronavirus crisis is not like the quartz crisis and does not 'kill off' some much loved watch brands.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 13:02, GASHEAD said:

I think you are also right and wrong.

They are a lot of "People living nextdoor" who aren't rich without wealth stashed in the Bank and they own a Rolex.