• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Having recently clocked up 25 years with my current employer, I was offered a "celebration page" on the internal equivalent of Facebook. :sign_wtf:

After 10 years with the same company I got a set of Schmidt pens.

Schmidt pen set

In 1954 my great uncle got a gold Rolex for 25 years with Empire Dairies.

Rolex 1954

So, awards for long years of suffering - what have you got? :)

• Like 2

I think these days long service tends to get discouraged rather than encouraged with nice gifts. Otherwise workers might get rights and they don't want that do they. Take @BondandBigM for example hes got a long service award for being on here and he still had to cough up for his own rolex. Though @Roger the Dodger was offering a sekonda a bit back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 years isn't very long! 25 years is a bit different. I did the former at two employers and got nowt nor expected anything. I never made it with 25 years with anyone, yet alone an employer!

• Like 2

i did 13 years with the nhs and got nowt. Rightly so really. They paid me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Caller. said:

10 years isn't very long! 25 years is a bit different. I did the former at two employers and got nowt nor expected anything. I never made it with 25 years with anyone, yet alone an employer!

One place I worked the service awards started at 5 years and I got a pewter butter dish, something I'd always wanted:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

One place I worked the service awards started at 5 years and I got a pewter butter dish, something I'd always wanted:laugh:

In use every day since, no doubt. :)

• Like 1

Just now, spinynorman said:

In use every day since, no doubt. :)

Oh aye, wherever it is :hmmm9uh:I thought at the time 5 years isn't very long for a sevice award.

Wasn't a bad firm to work for, within 2 miles away, wages were good, plenty of overtime and we used to go running at lunchtime.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Caller. said:

I didn't expect or want the pens TBH, they're too heavy to carry in a suit pocket and the fountain pen needs a new cartridge every few days, if I use it. It was part of a disappearing corporate culture I suppose.

23 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

i did 13 years with the nhs and got nowt. Rightly so really. They paid me. 

If things carry on like this they'll want you back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Caller. said:

16 years is my most then 2 @ 7 years, 1 @ 6 years, 5 years, 18 months and a few that lasted 6 months or less.

Some of the bods who took redundancy when I did had done over 45 years :( I couldn't imagine that.

• Like 1

I've been with Kristina for nigh on 37 years but haven't received my gold Rolex, nor even a set of nice pens. What have I been doing wrong?:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I've been with Kristina for nigh on 37 years but haven't received my gold Rolex, nor even a set of nice pens. What have I been doing wrong?:laugh:

Have been wedded to DC for 46 years...

My knighthood will be before yours, Honour.

:tongue:

Or should that be a VC (& bar) ?

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Have been wedded to DC for 46 years...

My knighthood will be before yours, Honour.

:tongue:

Or should that be a VC (& bar) ?

:thumbsup:

46 years could be a winner:thumbsup: I feel like a newly wed with just 34 years :biggrin:

I've done worse things though:inlove:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I didn't expect or want the pens TBH, they're too heavy to carry in a suit pocket and the fountain pen needs a new cartridge every few days, if I use it. It was part of a disappearing corporate culture I suppose.

If things carry on like this they'll want you back.

They dont need many directors of finance and audit at the moment...lawyers maybe. :thumbsup:

Should i go back to law like fletch????? Ive fancied redefining human rights. The current climate may enable that. In order to in future protect people more sensibly...me a lawyer? I cant see it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turpinr said:

46 years could be a winner:thumbsup: I feel like a newly wed with just 34 years :biggrin:

I've done worse things though:inlove:

I've only done 42 years, so @Karrusel's way out in front. :biggrin:

So nobody else got or inherited anything to mark long years of toil? I thought there'd at least be one set of engraved silver teaspoons. :)

• Like 2

Long term employment isn't very common in my industry but I do have some leaving gifts; a miner's lamp and a tie, mostly on leaving we just went out and got pissed :drinks:

11 years with the employer. I've not expected much. I get paid, have a good pension and a good benefits package. It'd be nicer if they recognised hard graft rather than length of service. I'd likely have a collection of gold watches for the significant contributions I've made.

3 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

11 years with the employer. I've not expected much. I get paid, have a good pension and a good benefits package. It'd be nicer if they recognised hard graft rather than length of service. I'd likely have a collection of gold watches for the significant contributions I've made.

A good pension is better than a gold watch, clock or butter dish:laugh: but back then I didn't have a clue what a final salary was 

• Like 1

I'm one of those lucky ones who is on a final salary pension scheme, that said it could all change with the time I have till retirement.

I kinda think of it this way, they pay me and I buy the stainless watches I want rather than gold that I wouldn't wear!

• Like 2

After 10 years with my lot, I got a £100 voucher to spend with a choice of various vendors, Amazon, Dixons etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

I'm one of those lucky ones who is on a final salary pension scheme, that said it could all change with the time I have till retirement.

I kinda think of it this way, they pay me and I buy the stainless watches I want rather than gold that I wouldn't wear!

You're lucky. Haven't had a final salary pension since the late 1980s.

2 minutes ago, Biker said:

After 10 years with my lot, I got a £100 voucher to spend with a choice of various vendors, Amazon, Dixons etc.

That seems unusually generous and sensible. Which watch did you buy? :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

A final salary is especially good in the current climate.

My small stakeholder pension has taken a hit but my workmates who finished with me and worked there man and boy have lost around 40k :(

18 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

@Turpinr, @spinynorman & other retirees (Yokel)...

Due to the current confinement to barracks just consider all the pensions we are not otherwise spending. :yes:

Every cloud & all that.

:thumbs_up:

Oh aye I'll drink to that.:drinks:

I've 4 years and a week or so till the SP and not actually drawing anything significant at the moment.

I was going to leave making a decision till June or later which now seems to have been a good idea.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

You're lucky. Haven't had a final salary pension since the late 1980s.

That seems unusually generous and sensible. Which watch did you buy? :biggrin:

Actually one of those Timex compass/tide watches

See the source imageOnly ever worn it once

Edited by Biker
sit shpelling
  • Thanks 1