• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Watches You Have Bought 'Accidentally'.

My madness on this forum really got going when I accidentally bought a Gucci Eta 7750 chronograph - really nice but as soon as I put it on I realised that legibility was not its strong point, but only after I had bought 3 spare links, to make the bracelet complete (I only needed one lol) did I decide to 'flip' it. 

I say this was an accidental purchase as I was looking for a watch with the ETA 7750 chrono movement, and I put a cheeky bid on the Gucci without any real intent or expectation, and ended up being the only bidder.

Anyway, lesson learned (NOT), I have now accidentally bought a Pierce monopusher chronograph (in working order) after making a pretty low offer to the seller - I was expecting a counter offer, and that way you get a day or so extra to think about it before turning it down lol.  Fortunately it was not over expensive - I have been looking for a mono-pusher chrono for some time - but what is your most memorable 'shopping accident' when it comes to watches.

• Like 2

Not really accidently, but i`ve bought watches i later knew i really shouldn`t have, thing is im not a collector so when i buy a watch i intend to wear the living daylights out of it, but because i already had a watch i really liked this particular new acquisition never got the attention it should, it was a nice rotary i`d been eyeing up in the argos catalogue for ages, in black with a tan strap. I ended up selling it to mate for less than a quarter of what it cost, he wears it regularly so its getting used, alls good.:thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The same thing has happened to me, putting in an offer and being shocked it was accepted. Can't remember which watch that was, though. Possibly one of the pin pallet Allenbys I bought purely from curiosity. Having my hand bitten off made me think my low offer was actually too high and it probably was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bought this by accident on Ebay, I was the only person to bid as it was 'not working'.

I got a real shock when I got a message saying I had won an auction, I had forgotten that I had even bid on it. The upshot is that I replaced the movement and I now own a watch that is a keeper as it punches well above it's cost.

a2a25373-45e0-4040-ba3e-02f17f339264.jpg

thanks to catawiki, they have better pics than I can take.

Edited by tick-tock-tittle-tattle
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Bought this by accident on Ebay, I was the only person to bid as it was 'not working'.

I got a real shock when I got a message saying I had won an auction, I had forgotten that I had even bid on it. The upshot is that I replaced the movement and I now own a watch that is a keeper as it punches well above it's cost.

a2a25373-45e0-4040-ba3e-02f17f339264.jpg

thanks to catawiki, they have better pics than I can take.

I love that.

Here's my latest shopping accident.

s-l400.jpg.7c53f9f112e7c7f9476c6809cbed6832.jpg

1944595854_s-l400(2).jpg.95fa48352aa63e9db69432bd6c304290.jpg

• Like 1

I very rarely have a bottle of spirits in the house these days , so not really a problem.

Accidental :beer::drinks:

:whistling:

:laughing2dw:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

we've all done it

I haven't. I've bought all my mistakes stone cold sober. :toot:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

ditto!

Under the heading "Seemed like a good idea at the time". :laughing2dw:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Under the heading "Seemed like a good idea at the time". :laughing2dw:

I do this a lot. I have a box for "why on earth did I buy that?" mistakes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

what is your most memorable 'shopping accident' when it comes to watches.

Oh, I've got a cracking example that might give some of you lot a giggle...  It's fairly common knowledge that I have got a mini collection of Fat Face watches going on. They're all from ebay, and used, (mostly NOS).  Whenever I see one I haven't got I often chuck in a bid, then forget about it.  Some I win, some I don't, and I don't usually give it a 2nd thought, but I saw one last year that looked awesome in the photos and I had to have it. The auction was close to completion, so I quickly put in a fairly high bid to make sure I won it, and sure enough I did - woohoo! :yahoo:

When the watch arrived it was indeed a beauty, in absolutely perfect unmarked NOS condition, and a really nice design on it's original bracelet.  However............ :whistling:....... it was bloody tiny! :laughing2dw:  Clearly a woman's watch, although the bracelet was huge, and would fit at least an 8" wrist.  In my defence, it looked much bigger in the photos, and there were no clues in the description either, it simply said "Fat Face Watch".

Ruthie didn't want it because she's got enough watches already, but I haven't got the heart to flip it - How sad is that? 

I haven't even got any photos of it, but I'll take one tomorrow and post it on here.

"What a Muppet!" :mad0218:

• Haha 2

Perhaps not bought accidentally, but just being in the right place at the right time. I had long admired the 'Pepsi' GMT by Rolex, but all that I looked at were just too pricey. I had eventually decided to go for a Steinhart copy, when one day (in June 2012) I looked at the SC and there was a Rolex 'Pepsi' GMT, at a price I could just about afford, complete with everything...box, papers, service certificate, etc. It's turned out to be one of the best investments I ever made (not that it was ever bought as an investment...it was bought purely because I wanted it). It has done me well... although I rarely wear it these days. If I ever did consider selling, I would find, like @BondandBigM with his LV,  that it has accumulated nicely, collectors favouring the older, aluminium bezels rather than the newer ceramic ones. As I write this, the watch has, at a conservative estimate, and bearing in mind that new ones just aren't available, and older ones are very hard to come by, at least trebled in value, maybe even more.  I have to thank @JoT for giving me the opportunity to have acquired the watch of a lifetime.

large.20170910_131426.jpg.7b04e7cbc3cf638dad8a20c1e11d4c8c.jpg

• Like 6

Mine was a Bulova Spaceview.  Not really sure if I'd can call it an accident I had seen them on line and coveted one for some time before taking the plunge.  Won a nice one and it arrived in near mint condition ticking away nicely.  I thought it looked awesome till I put it on my wrist.  Took one look and removed it, sold it a week later as I knew it would never see wrist time.  It just looked too small.  Now Roger the Dodger 's Rolex Pepsi wud be seeing wrist time for sure if she were mine! :yes:

• Like 2

My first "tiny" mistake. I saw "Sir John Bennett Ltd 1916 silver cased trench watch". The dimensions were there in the listing, but I didn't bother about those. Until it arrived. 26mm. :biggrin:

2020-03-25_11-55-48

• Like 1

Following on from my previous post yesterday, this is the watch in question, starting with an overall shot where it looks like a reasonable size:

20200325_124819

But put it next to one of my other Fat Face watches (admittedly this one is a whopper) and....oh dear....:

20200325_124917

:laughing2dw:

It fits my 7.5" wrist with an extra half inch to spare on the bracelet, but at 32mm wide it just looks a bit lost on my podgy, bloated wrist:

20200325_124954

Shame, because it's a lovely looking design, the condition is near perfect, and I really like it :(

Still, the main thing is that you lot can have a giggle at my expense, that's all that matters :laughing2dw:

• Like 4

Probably this one. Put in a couple of bids on Ebay and thought it would sell for more but how wrong can one be? 

Having said that, I quite like the quirkiness of the watch with its lack of running seconds etc. 

IMG_20191128_090645.jpg

• Like 2

I would t say accidentally but certainly unintentionally...

Had a bad day whilst working in Manchester

Decided I needed a watch

Went to Trafford centre

Walked into Fraser Hart

Walked out with...

IMG_20191221_120853

Edited by Jonesinamillion
  • Like 2

Never accidentally bought a watch. Or anything else. Most of my actions with planning require a degree of intention. Accidental watch purchases are not a defence. You did it on purpose...like the hgv driver who killed @mcb2007 s ferrari. Which was an accident....

10 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Never accidentally bought a watch. Or anything else. Most of my actions with planning require a degree of intention. Accidental watch purchases are not a defence. You did it on purpose...like the hgv driver who killed @mcb2007 s ferrari. Which was an accident....

It was no accident it was cold blooded murder , I could not believe he carried on reversing when I was shouting him to stop . I was stood 100 ft away and saw it all happen in slow motion . 

I gave him a mouthful of abuse until he stood at the side of me and I hurt my neck looking up at him , I then told him it was all my fault for parking in a safe place and apologised for marking his trailer with the front end of my vehicle  ooooh we did laugh .

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mcb2007 said:

It was no accident it was cold blooded murder , I could not believe he carried on reversing when I was shouting him to stop . I was stood 100 ft away and saw it all happen in slow motion . 

I gave him a mouthful of abuse until he stood at the side of me and I hurt my neck looking up at him , I then told him it was all my fault for parking in a safe place and apologised for marking his trailer with the front end of my vehicle  ooooh we did laugh .

rob...click click bang bang....i once took out a datsun in nelson in my Jag years ago. Bloke wanted 2000 quid so me and a few mates went round his shop and he was happy to take 100. Which was fair. 

:drinks:

next time pack a gun. 

You're a pro mate. And youze knows it bruv. 

Image result for kray twins

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

rob...click click bang bang....i once took out a datsun in nelson in my Jag years ago. Bloke wanted 2000 quid so me and a few mates went round his shop and he was happy to take 100. Which was fair. 

:drinks:

next time pack a gun. 

You're a pro mate. And youze knows it bruv. 

Image result for kray twins

Sounds like you’ve been digging way back in my history ,or was that a good guess:oops:

• Like 1