• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Morthin

Grandfather clock spring

Which is the best position for the spring to be on the clock, i think that my spring has gone a bit weak, so does not pull the rack back.Any one has any suggestions to correct this 

IMG_20200324_204519.jpg?width=1920&heigh

Providing when the rack drops to 12 on the snail there is still pressure on the tail of the rack, then all should be fine.

hope this helps. If not shout.

Thanks for your reply,

perhaps it does not quite do that, the spring seems a bit weak to me, so i have ordered a new one on line. I cant take it to the clock maker to repair for obvious reasons, so is there any hints or tips i can have to install the spring in a proper manner?

Thanks in advance

There was no need to replace the spring. If You take it out, then You can reshape it in manner to aply more pressure and then return it in place. But most important here is to ensure that the rack moves easily and smooth and no hardened oil or rust are in the bearing to bother the movement.

I am not sure if the new spring will fit without need of reshapening too...