• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Bonzodog

Future purchases

What if anything have you plans to buy in the near future,I’ve decided to sit pat untill this virus has passed.If I survive I’m thinking something from the H2o stable will be a nice addition.Hope the post doesn’t seem flippant under the present lockdown.

• Like 2

No purchases planned at present, in fact I'm quite happy with my collection and no disposal plans either. 

Watch Nirvana perhaps? 

IMG_20200228_172926.jpg

Edited by ong
  • Like 11

Two planned trips, with a view to purchasing timepieces, have been postponed due to the current health crisis.

No big disappointment in all honesty, your health & those around you take priority...obviously!

I’m sure many here will take our current confinement as an opportunity to gather more knowledge, along with doing our own due diligence on any future purchases.

Certainly not a flippant topic, IMO:thumbsup:

One can never have enough timepieces.

:biggrin:

• Like 3

I seem to be an infrequent spur of the moment buyer. So no plans but that doesn't mean much. Another purchase would put a couple of cheapies up for sale though. 

• Like 1

I'm waiting till over too, think there will be a lot of sales on then, except I might go for the Smith's Everest Expedition, which might be back in stock in April, but other than that no plans, unless a real bargain pops up.:whistle:

• Like 1

Trawling eBay the other night, I was seeing a lot of watches in the four figure bracket and wondered if people were trying to cash in rainy day investment pieces. That was just a perception, though, no science involved.

I'm not looking for anything specific. If I saw something interesting that didn't break the bank, I might buy it.

It's time to shake up the collection, so I've just sold 4 watches in the sales corner on here.  I think we all know what that means.......... :whistling:  I've got my eye on a lovely Casio Edifice which will be ordered soon :laughing2dw:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nothing on my list. Quite happy with my latest sub £50 Vostok.

I remember speaking to a friend who worked in a Rolex AD during the 2007/8 recession, who showed me 8, of the then current must have models, they'd bought back cheap, mainly off owners in the construction industry.

22 minutes ago, Davey P said:

It's time to shake up the collection, so I've just sold 4 watches in the sales corner on here.  I think we all know what that means.......... :whistling:  I've got my eye on a lovely Casio Edifice which will be ordered soon :laughing2dw:

Fess up mate,that still leaves your mighty collection intact:biggrin:

• Haha 1

I was about £100 short of pulling the trigger on a new Hydroconquest in Grey with the Grey band, love that watch... just sitting back and waiting for now. Threw my spare watch money into BP shares when they tanked last week, figure I might have enough for that Rolex Explorer by the time curfew is lifted :biggrin:

• Like 3

well as I was about to retire ( april) and get a lump sum and a watch was high on my priority list and a good un, now my pensions have gone to crap the pay out & income will be a hell of a lot less if I take them now ( stock market linked), my IFA has gone MIA, so its not looking good for any purchase of anything other than bog roll :(, still could be worse :)

deano 

• Sad 3

Two weeks ago, I picked up a new Sub (black dial with date) from an AD. This was just a day or two before they closed the doors due to Corona V. It was not on display, but they produced it from the safe. They wern't supposed to have any, or so they wanted me to believe from an earlier visit.

I have just ordered an Oris Aquis / Clean Ocean & got in 25% off. I got the Rolex less tha MSRP too. Now is a very good time to buy imo.

My own pic, not from the web.

OtuIMSF.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ong said:

No purchases planned at present, in fact I'm quite happy with my collection and no disposal plans either. 

Watch Nirvana perhaps? 

IMG_20200228_172926.jpg

Awesome collection!

• Thanks 1

Just bought a Seiko Prospex Marinemaster (SLA023J1) and intend buying a Rolex Deepsea Dweller 116660 :)

large.20200324_121652.jpg.1e9236418332615a875501e6a7755de2.jpglarge.20200324_121645.jpg.6563087aeceb871d50b688ad4b7826ea.jpg

Edited by odyseus10
  • Like 3

On 26/03/2020 at 09:10, ong said:

Watch Nirvana perhaps? 

IMG_20200228_172926.jpg

No, don't think so, second from the left, top row, white hands on white dial, not very legible, trade up to a speedy.

• Haha 1

On 26/03/2020 at 20:20, Roarry said:

Two weeks ago, I picked up a new Sub (black dial with date) from an AD. This was just a day or two before they closed the doors due to Corona V. It was not on display, but they produced it from the safe. They wern't supposed to have any, or so they wanted me to believe from an earlier visit.

I have just ordered an Oris Aquis / Clean Ocean & got in 25% off. I got the Rolex less tha MSRP too. Now is a very good time to buy imo.

My own pic, not from the web.

OtuIMSF.jpg

Awesome shot

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, odyseus10 said:

Just bought a Seiko Prospex Marinemaster (SLA023J1) and intend buying a Rolex Deepsea Dweller 116660 :)

large.20200324_121652.jpg.1e9236418332615a875501e6a7755de2.jpglarge.20200324_121645.jpg.6563087aeceb871d50b688ad4b7826ea.jpg

you need a Zenith Rainbow

On 26/03/2020 at 19:09, horologicallyChallenged said:

I just pulled the trigger on my first g-shock if that counts?

Unfortunately im looking to relocate which has put all shopping plans for the immediate future on hold.

some G-shocks count as watches

Currently have no pot to P!!s in so Watches on hold, however I am a fighter so servicing a few with view to sales in the future and looking after some family and forum friends as best I can with contact and banter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

several watches I was looking at have dropped - a nice Bulova Curv, the Bulova lunar pilot, and a Junkers mecaquartz chrono, but I just bought a 'real' chrono (Pierce monopusher) and Bulova are nice watches, but I need a bit more story to them - I already have lots of nice watches.

Oh, and a half price Oris ....  oh and a '64 Smiths from Wales

But I am going to carry on clearing my overdraft instead (nearly there!) ...

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

No, don't think so, second from the left, top row, white hands on white dial, not very legible, trade up to a speedy.

Good idea but a Speedy is not a trade up to an IWC Fliegeruhr 3717 in the less common dial colour.  The dual is totally legible in use and in any case I've had several Speedys.. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ong said:

a Speedy is not a trade up to an IWC Fliegeruhr 3717 in the less common dial colour

c'mon, that depends on the speedy ...

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1179374/Antiques-Roadshow-1968-Omega-speech-watch-valuation-BBC-video

and you can liquidate a speedy much quicker too!  After all, who wants a 'flea-in-your-ear'?  Wait till you start needing glasses, you'll trade it in ... :yes::laugh:

p.s. 'uncommon' means unpopular - if they could'a sold 'em, they would'a made more.  Brown Aston Martins are uncommon.  Listen to your Uncle Jet.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2020 at 18:41, deano1956 said:

well as I was about to retire ( april) and get a lump sum and a watch was high on my priority list and a good un, now my pensions have gone to crap the pay out & income will be a hell of a lot less if I take them now ( stock market linked), my IFA has gone MIA, so its not looking good for any purchase of anything other than bog roll :(, still could be worse :)

deano 

FFS don't retire now!  Sit it out for six months or a year or you are screwed.

I expect prices of watches might be short term deflated, but for every person unemployed another person sells toilet roll, and some people could be inheriting sadly sooner rather than later.  Money is like energy, it can not be created nor destroyed just transferred into something new.  I do know of one major dealer who borrowed a lot of money to rapidily increase stock that have already started a fire sale, as their overheads monthly haven't changed yet no one can come into their stores.  Their prices are good, but delivery is at least five weeks and maybe more.  And if they declare bankruptcy in the meantime good luck getting your money back!  They have not been negligent in splashing the cash BTW, just unlucky.

I'm lucky.  I have no business loans, and if I close the doors for 3 months I can manage.  But I recognise this is luck in the current circumstances and not a brainwave from me.  

• Like 2