• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
johnbaz

New (S/H) camera!

Hi all

I've a couple of Nikon D40 and a Nikon Coolpix S-8200 compact for convenience, It's getting a bit long in the tooth now though and after I dropped it a couple of times, Bits have come away and there seems to be dust in or under the screen!

I looked at revues for the Panasonic Lumix range of compacts and took a shine to the TZ60, Found loads on fleabay and settled on one that I put a £70 offer on, It was accepted and arrived today..

It's in very good condition but upon turning the camera on, I get a warning that says 'This card was formatted by and externa device and is not suitable for recording', It's a brand new Sandisk Micro SDHC UHS-I card in an adaptor, The manual says SDHC is fine with the camera, I couldn't find out how to reformat the card online, Eventually I found a reformat button in the 'Motion picture' setting in the menu, I pressed it and it started accepting the images but still gives the warning even though it works!!

I tried five different SD cards in and got the same message with every one, Two were new from the packets!! I'm wondering now if there's something wrong with the camera even though it is actually working, I've never had this message with any camera that i've had!

The camera

AJBhp5v.jpg Lznq6nf.jpg

The camera has a 30x zoom and image stabilistation which works quite well!, The old Nikon only had 14x zoom but at full zoom was useless hand held!! I really like the viewfinder too as it helps steady the camera at the high zoom when it's pressed against the cheek!

Lznq6nf.jpg MiGnb9W.jpg

It has WiFi and can be fired from a smartphone or tablet, It even has GPS and told me where I was!! :yes:

It has more gimmicks than I know what to do with including all kinds of filters, I'm going to have to take a few hours to go through the manual as there's stuff on it that i've no clue what they do! :hmmm9uh:

Some pics I took this aft from my patio!

This pigeon was up the Oak tree at the bottom of the garden, Around 100 feet away

bhhOE4D.jpg

Our Daisy! I cropped this pic to fill the space a bit better..

u0bOksW.jpg

A plant that the daughter in law got me in the conservatory! 

wzlDxKy.jpg

A couple of li'l trees..

abBm2QF.jpg

At full zoom, I took the pic of the chimney and never noticed the Maggie!, I straightened this pic as I had the camera on a cant!, I must have cropped it too as the date is missing!!

M83Uchx.jpg

The Oak tree is the furthest one on the right..

Yb3y9bR.jpg

And a Citizen 8200 auto/manual Citizen on the wrist in Macro mode (Cropped this too!)

AZBDRsb.jpg

Love getting new toys!! :yes:

john :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on getting your new camera - good luck with it.

I don't have this camera, but I found a copy of the manual online, and it looks like the format option is off the Setup menu.

• Thanks 1

Some great pictures John! 

Not sure about the memory card though...

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Very good photos John 

I have fancied getting into photography I used to be good at it 20 years ago but now I would not know where to start with buying a digital camera. 

• Like 1

Great work for a small camera with a big zoom!

Need to dig my camera back out. I remembered yesterday that the shutter release button came loose on my last trip which is why its not been out. The decision now is repair or replace (upgrade) to the next model up. Given I've got a chunk of money in lenses, I'm not keen to get shut of the system yet.

Edited by al_kaholik

On 27/03/2020 at 06:54, al_kaholik said:

Great work for a small camera with a big zoom!

Need to dig my camera back out. I remembered yesterday that the shutter release button came loose on my last trip which is why its not been out. The decision now is repair or replace (upgrade) to the next model up. Given I've got a chunk of money in lenses, I'm not keen to get shut of the system yet.

Sounds like it's worth getting repaired if you have heaps of money in lenses!

I have a couple of D40's too and chanced upon a 500mm old lens with a 42mm thread, I bought a 42mm to Nikon type adaptor and although it can only be used in manual mode, It takes some good pics, The lens was cheap from the bootsale (It came with an old 35mm Pentax P30 camera!)

AWjAyWB.jpg

This a pic with the standard 18-55mm DX lens that came with the camera..

yWSBJkl.jpg

And this is a pic with the long lens (+ a 2x multiplier fitted I think!)

jz18S2e.jpg

I was quite happy with the result as on manual focus I struggle to get clear pics since I started wearing specs!, It looks clear through the viewfinder but the pics are always blurry normally!! :D 

John :thumbsup:

• Like 1