• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
tick-tock-tittle-tattle

1916 Rolex 'Trench Watch' Service Advice Required

I have a beautiful 1916 Rolex 'Trench Watch' which could really do with a professional service, and I would love to know where I could get it serviced.

It has one slight issue that I know of which is the mainspring. It could do with  going on a mainspring winder to tighten it up, but I did not see the point of buying one just to fix this watch only.

13e1f31cd751ea36e25fa2bd65f24a04.jpg

The one on the left is the Rolex needing the service. (Rolex, Elgin, Rolex)

Any advice regarding servicing, watch repairers that could do this, or cheap mainspring winders would be really appreciated.

I will service them foe you. If you need me, just shout. What do you mean by" tightening up your mainspring?

• Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 14:47, simon2 said:

I will service them foe you. If you need me, just shout. What do you mean by" tightening up your mainspring?

Hi Simon

Sorry for the delayed reply on this, for some reason I didn't get a notification of a reply.

I have decided to sell all my WW1 watches, 1916 Rolex, 1916 Gallet Electa, and a 1926 W&D and I would prefer to sell them knowing they have been serviced.

The mainspring on the Rolex could do with a clean, it occasionally slips, I don't think it has had a service for many years.

Gallet is in a Borgel case, the W&D appears to be a Revue Thommen movement.

The watch have had, and have a degree of vintage Lume on the dials, the W&D has quite a bit of lume present. I don't know if this would be something that would be a concern for you, I am aware it something that require a greater level of care when handling.

Once again sorry for the slow reply.

All the best

Paul

Hi Paul. If you would like me to service them for you. I will give you my address details.

Regards Simon.

11 hours ago, simon2 said:

Hi Paul. If you would like me to service them for you. I will give you my address details.

Regards Simon.

Hi @simon2 for some reason I am not being notified of your replies, so I am sorry for the slow response time.

I have you on my followed list now so I will pm you with further details.

Do you do case repairs also?

I have an old Australian Handley cased Rolex which I would like to restore. I was given the details of someone who restores old nickel cases, but he has had cancer and is not really taking on new business until he recovers.

I'll send you some images and you can let me know what you think.

Regards

Paul

Hi , Paul. I will await the pictures and pass judgement once i've seen the case. 

Regards simon.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

I have included some pictures of the case, the front is fine (not pictured) the back however has a bit of 'woodworm'

I am thinking of getting a list together of watches that require some work (not cosmetic stuff) I would love to get all the 'project' watches completed

I would like the Handley Rolex completed and ready to sell, it's a little small for me so I'd like to let someone else enjoy it.

Here's the Handley case...

598134c920c955ace3fe9f0bf0b6540e.jpg

3c25f045dd42357ce024b3ca9463e2ea.jpg

pwEuJ4aAbqeK1g8golql8DVR2-f8RbR42vVgv4KV

I am not a fan of this type of case, but I guess it was the only way that Rolex were able to get into Australia after the war.

I also have an Elgin watch that needs a new balance staff.

I will put a lis together and get back to you, but I would love to hear what you think about the Handley case.

Regards

Paul

Excuse me for butting in...

Nickel plated cases can problematic when considering restoration, particularly when an important part of it’s provenance is in the factory case markings.

These can be lost in the re-plating process.

These ‘Handley Watch Case Co’ along with the earlier ‘Handley & Tilley’ cases are associated with imported quality Swiss movements of the time.  Therefore making them desirable (IMO) to collectors.

Have you considered an adhesive case back pad/film ?

Your call...

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Excuse me for butting in...

Nickel plated cases can problematic when considering restoration, particularly when an important part of it’s provenance is in the factory case markings.

These can be lost in the re-plating process.

These ‘Handley Watch Case Co’ along with the earlier ‘Handley & Tilley’ cases are associated with imported quality Swiss movements of the time.  Therefore making them desirable (IMO) to collectors.

Have you considered an adhesive case back pad/film ?

Your call...

:thumbsup:

You are correct, this Handley was bought with a Rolex Rebberg movement, the front of the case is in good condition, and my guess is the heat and subsequent sweat have taken there toll on this case.

I prefer a watch to show it's age, but I honestly thought that this was probably a little 'too far gone' for someone to be interested in.

Having seen some case repairs done by Adam Phillips I thought it was a possible candidate for a full restoration. When I purchased the watch the back was not pictured on any of the images on the listing, I was a little shocked when it arrived.

It did take a little while to arrive from Australia which I think heightened the disappointment when I discovered the condition of the back.

The case back pad/film is something I had not considered, and it might be a suitable alternative.

Looks like I'm back to the drawingboard.

• Like 1