• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

3 hours ago, Cyclops930 said:

Morning chap's emoji12.png

This for the morning until going to work. emoji16.png

1599bed0416094a3734a8f3fb1efd932.jpg

What a watch! Would love to find one of these in an AD - just missed out one by a matter of days, it was available in Harrods.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Snap, but without the telemeter ring

DSC_0174

I'M sure i have some spare hands for these and a spare glass with the chrome ring attached somewhere,have put them safe but cant remember were at the minute 

4 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Snap, but without the telemeter ring

DSC_0174

I'M sure i have some spare hands for these and a spare glass with the chrome ring attached somewhere,have put them safe but cant remember were at the minute 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Circa 1930 Cushion cased.

Cal: Swiss (Aegler?). 15 Jewel.

Cased in Staybrite Steel (SS) by the 'Handley Watch Case Company', Australia.

I own a Handley cased Rolex from the 1920's-1930's which sadly is not in as good condition as yours.

The cartouche on the movement, is that an Aegler cartouche?

I'm no expert on movement markings, but I did have a look and found nothing that matches the one on the train bridge.

It is a beautiful watch. Mine didn't fair so well in the hot, moisture laden air of Australia, the back of the case has started to disappear due to contact with skin for many years. Another project watch.

• Thanks 1

Afternoon change over to this vintage Zenith Pilot, manual wind Blancpain cal, circa 1945. Photos taken just now. It has radium burn of the dial but it is all original. 

More information here :thumbsup:

20200328_143349-rotated.jpg

20200328_143926.jpg

20200328_143526.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I own a Handley cased Rolex from the 1920's-1930's which sadly is not in as good condition as yours.

The cartouche on the movement, is that an Aegler cartouche?

I’m no expert on movement markings.

Neither am I.

My assertion (?) is based on that of a highly regarded retired master watchmaker (over 60 years at the bench), who has worked on countless Aegler movements, museum quality timepieces, amongst many others.  He’s a valued, close friend & colleague.

He also informed me that Aegler produced individual movements alongside their current production, these at times carrying individual markings for manufacturers & retailers.

Many Swiss manufacturers produced movements for other watch companies, retailers, at this time & before, often carrying different markings, particularly the American market.

Likewise, many Coventry produced pocket watch movements were often devoid of their true origins but carried alternate marks.

But the ‘tells’ are still there to those that know ?

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

He also informed me that Aegler produced individual movements alongside their current production, these at times carrying individual markings for manufacturers & retailers.

Gruen would have been one of these other companies, and others...

I wonder if there is anything under the dial, Aegler usually have more information under the dial than on the bridges (other than when they were plastering 'Rolex' everywhere for Mr Wilsdorf)

Stay safe :)

13 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Gruen would have been one of these other companies, and others..

Principal movement suppliers to Gruen at this time, along with Hamilton & Elgin, were Blancpain!

Again no markings of origin on the movements, as per American import legislation.

Edited by Karrusel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, martinzx said:

Afternoon change over to this vintage Zenith Pilot, manual wind Blancpain cal, circa 1945. Photos taken just now. It has radium burn of the dial but it is all original. 

More information here :thumbsup:

20200328_143349-rotated.jpg

Always a joy when you post this one, Martin.

A lovely unadulterated beauty, IMO:yes:

• Thanks 1

49708301571_1b524fc8d5_b.jpg

Been thinking about getting a Mondaine for some time, got a sale offer come through the other day so finally succumbed. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bowie said:

I'M sure i have some spare hands for these

they are still available on the bay, but prices are going up up up lol

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Another day. Another strap change.

large.IMG_20200328_151846929_HDR.jpg.c431d401e80c884db7a15dac0d805d54.jpg

It is one of the best feelings though, when you eventually find the strap that makes the watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boots said:

From 1977, Seiko "Jumbo" 6138-3002 (sadly showing the wrong day - oops)

large._N8Y6540.JPG.e3dfa4a97e09652f66da2f71612506bf.JPG

owff thats nice 

still the sarb and likely to be forever so i'll just contribute a song for me and my mate @mcb2007

my astons stuck in a garage thats shut, my jensen has a carb set in a garage thats shut and im down to a bmw and audi...oh and a maserati qp that no one wants to  work on even when everywhere is open. At least my Seikos fine. But you don't wanna see that boring thing. 

looks like i will be walking when its allowed. 

Given the state of things ive no need for the time either, but that aint the point is it @Cassie-O i might get a golden panda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and one for @BondandBigM

bond you might not be keen on abba,,,but that blonde lass eh ;-) 

Edited by Nigelp
self induced automatism
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

49709256432_6cbdb3f721_c.jpg

Is it gen. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nigelp said:

but that aint the point is it @Cassie-O i might get a golden panda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You poor kitten, Nige.  I'll give you a cuddle from 2 metres away.  :clap:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

My last pair until midnight...

NEWGATE  LIBERTY  Watches  (Miyota Quartz movements)

Ok, I was wrong, I swapped over to these a couple of hours ago...

TISSOT  Le Locle POWERMATIC 80, Cal. C07.111 23 Jewels ( ETA 2824-2 based) SWISS MADE

TISSOT-DSC_0101.thumb.gif.8eb6e49e3329be374e95240ac9611128.gif

J.Springs NPEA003,  Cal. Y675C 21 Jewels.

J.SPRINGS-DSC_0102.thumb.gif.0921b3658ec8dd2dfd1cf6812435bb0d.gif

:biggrin:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cassie-O said:

You poor kitten, Nige.  I'll give you a cuddle from 2 metres away.  :clap:

Thank you im hurting the bullies are picking on me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, badgersdad said:

This is new in this week. I'm very pleased with it. Really simple. Great size. :thumbsup:

IMG_20200328_121720.jpg

Seeing as you are out of work at the moment Andy. I might have a spot of teaching for you. My Aunt who was Head Mistress woman at a nice private school has just said im radical via whatsapp. On the basis that when i was 12 at said school i both refused to be confirmed a Catholic (the first in the history of the school - on the basis it was a fairy tale). And also refused to learn either...French, German or Spanish (on the basis they could all speak English i was 11). How would you describe me as one of your pupils bearing in mind...i still went on to be head boy inspite of these 'radicalisms'. And won the school prizes for English and RE but not cookery or french.