• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
John_D

Something of an heirloom.....

I can remember this clock as I was growing up in North London in the 1950's......It was hanging on the wall in the entrance hall of an aunt's Georgian Town House in Canonbury, and I always admired it. When my aunt died about 50 years ago she bequeathed it to me and it has had pride of place on the wall in our lounge ever since......

JbaQAT9.jpg

I was told that it dated to around 1860, though as yet have not been able to confirm that.

It has an eight day fusee movement as can be just about seen here:-

LnELKQP.jpg

R39ZoDH.jpg

This is the original key that to my knowledge has always been with it......

AsYFeFJ.jpg?1

It has been running non stop, in my possession, for at least the last 38 years in it's current position and get religiously wound every week.

Does anyone on here have any information on Edwards of Dudley and when he was trading?

• Like 2

There's four columns of Edwards in Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World. :) However, James Thompson Edwards, born 1823 in Stourbridge, working Dudley 1850-98, is the only one I can see that fits.

• Like 1

Just now, spinynorman said:

There's four columns of Edwards in Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World. :) However, James Thompson Edwards, born 1823 in Stourbridge, working Dudley 1850-98, is the only one I can see that fits.

Thanks Norman, I had found James T Edwards but had no access to any definitive information on him other than he was in Dudley. The dates that you ascribe to him do seem to fit, so 1860 is still a possibility. I suppose that I'm going to have to remove the clock from the drop box (four wooden pegs) and get some more pictures of the movement to see if there are any clues on it.....I think the last time the movement was out of the case was when I sent the case down to Somerset, to a cabinet maker, the father of a friend, in about 1977, to have it cleaned and french polished....:blush:

• Like 1