• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Regular wearing of high value watches

sparrow

On 01/04/2020 at 19:16, yokel said:

Bad guys generally buy the Rolex hype.

I have little concern wearing a Moser, GO, Grossmann, Zenith or Dornblüth out   --   simply because so few (perhaps only Scott, Paul and Alan) would recognize them.

Depends on your taste in watches really.

I totally agree with yokel on this topic.

I wear my Rolex loads and loads, for the following reasons...

1. I bought it so I'm going to wear it.

2. Nobody knows it's a Rolex. (Air-King)

I own a number of watches that are valued at £1000 plus, but if would mourn the loss of my Seiko 5 DX made in September 1967 the most if it was lost/stolen.

High value isn't always about how much it cost, my opinion is that you buy a watch for you, not for other people to look at, if you are concerned about where you are going don't wear it or roll down that cuff.

Enjoy every watch you you bought, if you don't feel you should wear it, maybe you shouldn't have bought it. The watches that yokel has mentioned go under the radar and are stunning watches to own and enjoy.

So many fantastic brands out there with a great history, sometimes it is great knowing that the watch on your wrist is known by virtually nobody.

• Like 2

I tend to think that leaving the AD is a critical point.

I bought one of my pieces through a Bond Street dealer. They gave me the (enormous) box and papers safely cocooned in a sturdy anonymous bag, but strongly suggested that I carry the watch itself in a pouch in an inside pocket of my jacket.

"We can get replacement box and papers for you if necessary, Sir".

I assume they have had experience :(

• Like 2

Mine just get worn one after another without much thought to be honest. I'll take it off my wrist if I'm doing man jobs in the garage or something but other than that I don't see the point of having something you're worried about owning. Even if they get bashed up a bit a service will sort the vast majority of it when the time comes.

4 hours ago, relaxer7 said:

Mine just get worn one after another without much thought to be honest. I'll take it off my wrist if I'm doing man jobs in the garage or something but other than that I don't see the point of having something you're worried about owning. Even if they get bashed up a bit a service will sort the vast majority of it when the time comes.

London

:rolleyes:

I used to wear my LV or GMT every Friday and Saturday night some times on a Thursday night as well in The Royal, the odd run up to the Clari and then the Helena

:huh:

Doesn’t get more dangerous than that and I survived, these southern softies have no idea

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

Never really thought about it and the only time this has ever been raised is on watch forums.  As for the Rolex thing I have worn mine plenty of times I cant recall anybody paying the remotest interest in it perhaps in areas of high crime its an issue but then if I was going out on the ale I probably wouldn't wear an expensive watch though I probably wouldn't wear an expensive bit of jewellery either but then I am going out for a drink not a nice meal with the missus.

Seems odd people would be worried about someone looking at their watch I would imagine it would be far easier for someone dodgy to spot what expensive car you are driving than trying to see whats on your wrist.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

Never really thought about it and the only time this has ever been raised is on watch forums.  As for the Rolex thing I have worn mine plenty of times I cant recall anybody paying the remotest interest in it perhaps in areas of high crime its an issue but then if I was going out on the ale I probably wouldn't wear an expensive watch though I probably wouldn't wear an expensive bit of jewellery either but then I am going out for a drink not a nice meal with the missus.

Seems odd people would be worried about someone looking at their watch I would imagine it would be far easier for someone dodgy to spot what expensive car you are driving than trying to see whats on your wrist.

Seriously wrong, chap. My boss had his trousers pulled to his knees and his jacket pulled down to his elbows by a gang while visiting the loo at Ascot races...result...Rolex Datejust gone. Thats why I won't wear my more valuable GMT outside the house.

For me it’s the living thing on my wrist. Ok, my football team edition Sekonda keeps better time than my 2 ‘luxury watches’ but wearing said ‘luxury watches’ makes me feel good. I’ve worked hard and went through some tough times to get them so I’m wearing them for ME. My Casio Mudmster gets more attention because of it’s size (Ok, It’s a FANTASTIC watch) but there’s something about Swiss horology (and German and Japanese etc) that gets my heart racing. Sad? Probably, but it makes me happy. 

• Like 1

I don't generally wear anything worth more than a thousand dollars while I'm out and about. Depending on where I'm going, I might slip on something a little more expensive. I've never had a probem and I don't even try to hide it. I guess it just depends on where a feller congregates. 

I've just been wearing one of my '88 Timex beaters lately, though, with one of Carl's straps on it. It works for what I need. I've got three of em, so I wear the one with the most scratches on it. I've been mainly in the garage wrenching on stuff anyway. 

ldnZKbF.jpg

15 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Seriously wrong, chap. My boss had his trousers pulled to his knees and his jacket pulled down to his elbows by a gang while visiting the loo at Ascot races...result...Rolex Datejust gone. Thats why I won't wear my more valuable GMT outside the house.

How many car thefts are there compared to watch thefts?  Seems odd to me folk are happy to park a 20K car outside their property but are terrified to wear a 5 or 6K watch on their wrist.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

London

:rolleyes:

I used to wear my LV or GMT every Friday and Saturday night some times on a Thursday night as well in The Royal, the odd run up to the Clari and then the Helena

:huh:

Doesn’t get more dangerous than that and I survived, these southern softies have no idea

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

The only comment I’ve had is “is that a fake mate?”

Being a bit streetwise always helps. "Good" thieves aren't stupid, they'll stalk their prey. Some of it is opportunist, some isn't. Appearing in an unknown area in a flash motor wearing a bi-metal Daytona with a T shirt is never a good idea, but I see it regularly. I got asked for the time last week by someone dodgy standing right next to a parking meter, with a clearly visible digital clock on it, so a few options apply there, stupid, "blind", after my phone (which I don't have) or after my watch (which I doubt). Or maybe he was looking for a good time. :laughing2dw:

2 hours ago, Igerswis said:

It’s easier to steal a wristwatch and sell it on than it is to steal a car of value. Most stolen cars are either used in robberies or stripped for parts. Stolen watches can be sold for any amount as anything they receive from the seller is a bonus or traded for other commodities through gangs.

ANPR cameras and potentially having a tracker fitted makes hiding a stolen car harder than hiding a small item of value.

I was actually more worried about my cars being damaged in the UK than actually stolen. But I knew my watch could make me a target for theft.

Btw £20k car is nothing these days. About the price of a basic VW Golf or Ford Focus or Audi A3 or Mercedes A class I guess. Basically 20 years ago it would get you into a 3 series saloon or Mercedes C class. Nowadays it gets you into a hatchback. Many people lease their cars too which makes getting into a £40k+ car much more attainable.

I am not sure what your experience with law is but I can assure you car theft is a lot higher than theft of watches the overwhelming majority going in burglaries rather than robberies which leads back to the point I was making about vehicles.  As for identification, you would have a much better chance identifying a suspect in a robbery than the theft of a vehicle.

You may have misunderstood the point I was making about the price of a car, indeed the average car in the UK is about 15k new which was the point I was making.  People are happy to put 15k on their driveway without a second thought yet have sleepless nights over wearing a watch in public the vast majority of people would not even look twice at and is not even worth half the price of the car.   I do think watch enthusiasts have an over inflated view of their watches, as popular as a brand Rolex is it would draw a blank expression to most of the general public.  Its much the same as classic cars, the driver may think they have something special but I can honestly say as someone who has little interest in cars yes it may look nice but it could be worth a grand or fifty grand for all I know or care, thats pretty much how most people feel about the watches we wear.

Thats of course not to say that thefts dont happen but they are hardly common.  If you were really worried about someone stealing your watch and you thought Rolex would be the most identifiable then you could really cheese off the thief by wearing a Steinhart or Invicta:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Like many classic car owners do with their cars. :yes:

And modern, middle aged bikers, toys:thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, ZenArcade said:

I do think watch enthusiasts have an over inflated view of their watches, as popular as a brand Rolex is it would draw a blank expression to most of the general public.  

I agree with this 100%.Only a couple of my mates are interested in watches, the rest couldn't give a ****.

Even though I bought my missus a Tudor 1926 when I got my 58 for a similar price, she couldn't care less either.

Thanks for the replies guys - as I'd hoped, most of your comments are just suggesting some common sense.

I'd expected as much, and if I'm honest, in the wrong area, behaving the wrong way - I think I'm just as likely to get attention with a shiny Seiko midsize on a bracelet strap as I am with a Rolex (which is why I tend to go with the CWC when out and about :) )

We'll see how long the lockdown lasts for, and how many pennies I can save - I'm finding the cash already hard to keep a hold of - I had an email from Olight earlier about some cracking sales - oh dear :laugh:

• Like 1