• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
sparrow

Regular wearing of high value watches

Lads,

Interested to get your views and opinions on this - background - as we're all stuck in for the foreseeable, I thought it was a good time to start really hitting the saving towards a grail - for me, a really nice looking Rolex.

I've chatted this through with the missus, and she raised a valid point of how concious would i become of wearing something that's 3 to 4k in value out and about, and would it and up just stuck at home and only taken out on special occasions.

So I ask you guys, does the same thought go through your heads? 

I get there's insurance, but is that enough peace of mind?

• Like 1

Your post seems to have appeared twice so perhaps the Mods can merge them in due course.

I've been collecting and wearing some fairly expensive pieces for a few years now and at first did shy away from wearing the more expensive out and about.  However I soon got over this and found that very few people appear to notice at all.   

Buy and wear what you want, after all they're your watches. 

• Like 1

I knew someone who got beaten up and mugged for his Rolex.  Served him right - it was a fake :biggrin: He always said how realistic it was...

Rolex are the number one target for thieves I would imagine.  But would anyone get mugged for a Grand Seiko, or a Zenith El Primero?  I am fortunate that I live in a rural area, with few bad guys around, and I myself am a fairly big unit (not a hard nut, but there are easier targets out there).  

When I have visited very poor countries I usually wear a Timex.  But that is partly out of respect for the people and how crass wearing a £1,000 watch would be if they were living on a dollar a day.  

So it depends on where you are wearing it.  Nothing wrong with having a watch to wear only in the house either.  It is a watch for you to enjoy, not for others.

• Like 4

When I kicked the watch habit a few years back,my only watch was a non date sub,wore it everywhere.

• Like 1

Bad guys generally buy the Rolex hype.

I have little concern wearing a Moser, GO, Grossmann, Zenith or Dornblüth out   --   simply because so few (perhaps only Scott, Paul and Alan) would recognize them.

Depends on your taste in watches really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, yokel said:

Bad guys generally buy the Rolex hype.

I have little concern wearing a Moser, GO, Grossmann, Zenith or Dornblüth out   --   simply because so few (perhaps only Scott, Paul and Alan) would recognize them.

Depends on your taste in watches really.

Still good for bingo at the Embassy on Friday, David ?

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Still good for bingo at the Embassy on Friday, David ?

:thumbsup:

Definitely Alan :yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My only two expensive watches were a Grand Seiko about 2.3k and an Omega Aqua Terra 3k. Ended up selling both, paranoid about damage or mugging if they were on my wrist, paranoid about burglary if they were at home. A couple of 400 quid Seiko turtle limited editions and my 47 quid g-shock are my financial limit now.

Tudor BB 41 €2,800

I wear it every where. Last summer, I went from rural Ireland to New York and drove down to the Gulf of Mexico and then back up via Florida and Virginia; no bother. Most people don't care about watches, and as for muggers, use your senses and don't go to places which make you feel uncomfortable. I sent the first 50 years of my life living in a city and trust me when I say a mugger can always spot a viticm.  It's how you act and carry yourself, not the watch, which makes you a target.

Also, you soon forget the value of your watch if you wear it everyday. Enjoy your watch and wear it in good health.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

Tudor BB 41 €2,800

I wear it every where. Last summer, I went from rural Ireland to New York and drove down to the Gulf of Mexico and then back up via Florida and Virginia; no bother. Most people don't care about watches, and as for muggers, use your senses and don't go to places which make you feel uncomfortable. I sent the first 50 years of my life living in a city and trust me when I say a mugger can always spot a viticm.  It's how you act and carry yourself, not the watch, which makes you a target.

Also, you soon forget the value of your watch if you wear it everyday. Enjoy your watch and wear it in good health.

Completely agree with this. Under the cuff, nobody knows what's on your wrist. Short sleeves = Casio/timex.

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Completely agree with this. Under the cuff, nobody knows what's on your wrist. Short sleeves = Casio/timex.

Been all over the world, including the unsavoury parts, and never had a problem with the watch I was wearing. Mind you I was carrying this as well!  :whistle:

3-F0-D8-D25-BCFB-44-FE-BE5-A-F4-E6-D578-

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I read somewhere that wearing a Rolex gave you bargaining power in those undesirable places. You've got something that can be bartered.

I would agree that 90% of the time when you wear a watch nobody notices.

I have been wearing what is considered high value watches some 30 years plus and never had any problems or concerns whatsoever

You will just as likely get mugged for wearing a watch pretending to be something else. 

Humm... I am afraid to say that most of mine are staying in their boxes most of the time.... Wearing them only for Christmas and New Year on rotation, so not much in total... My bad :(

The thing about Rolex are though they are recognized as high value among thieves they are the worst choice of watch to steal because of the serial registration system. 

Now I don't know what circles you mix in and where you hang out but I walked around with a Royal Oak on my wrist 24 hours a day for ten years and was hardly conscious of it... they say familiarity breeds contempt and that was just normal to me despite hanging around poker clubs in Clarkenwell, taking night buses home drunk through some dodgy areas and having no insurance.    That watch has not only risen heavily in value but has enormous sentimental value to me. 

Now there are four watches in my box I am hyper aware of which only come out on special occasion,  AP, VC, PP and JLC, for the most part I wear my speedmaster or polar explorer and don't worry too much.   I do have insurance now too BTW.  

Edited by Daveyboyz
  • Like 2

Over the years I’ve been all over the world with both work and holidays wearing whatever I’ve had but mostly a Rolex of sorts and never thought twice about it.

If you worried about that sort of thing you’d just wear a Timex and never leave the house. There are plenty more in your face watches that will attract attention than a Rolex. 

Wear it and wear it with pride, if i bought a watch costing a few thou i wouldnt have it in a box out of sight, whats the point, watches are meant to be worn.

I accept the fact some areas might be dodgy,and if i was the victim of a mugging (not neccessarily for a watch) i dare say my thinking would change,but until that day comes (god forbid) my lifestyle wont change....only covid-19 has temporarily done that.:(

• Like 1

Well, I don’t own any watches in that kind of price bracket but speaking from my own experience of wearing watches ranging in value from £10 to £1000. The only watch that ever got a comment was this one that cost me less than £50.

Claro Beach Star Watch

I don’t think I’d ever want to own a watch I was scared to wear. Mind you I’m paranoid about banging/scratching the watches I have now so who knows what I’d actually be like if I owned anything fancy.

• Like 1

while i have worn my higher priced watches on nights out in town( wakefiled ) and have never had a concern, but on a recent visit to london i took one of my least expensive and was very concious as being everywere were you would expect a tourist to be , inc in and out of watch shops , bond st etc but had no fear but that may have been more in my mind that reality thinking no one would want what i was wearing, it gave me peice of mind on the trip. so i  chose a watch based on were i am or am going and what i am doing rather than worry about acually using/ wearing them.

deano

I am afraid all the herberts look out for Rolex and PP, probably the only 2 brands they consider robbing, thy probably wouldn't recognise a £15k Omega or any other brand for that matter.

I wear my Speedy on rotation to wherever I am going, apart from India, where i agree, wearing a £4k watch in one of the poorest countries seems a little inconsiderate.

• Like 1

I wore a £4k watch as a daily from 2007 to 2017 and the only time I actively avoided wearing it out was when we as a family visited Scavii Pompeii near Napoli which is a Den of thrives and villainy ....  That said I agree with the comments on Rolex. Sink Estate Gangstas can smell one of those like a Shark smells a wounded Tuna from 10 miles away.

I wear my Bremont alt-1 pretty much daily. Thankfully few know what it is so I've grown comfortable wearing it,as you absolutely should. Live in a rural area,but its nice to sit at a bar and no one know,  or care what I'm wearing. Not sure what the case would be with a Rolex?  If its under a cuff should be ok.

I have 3 Rolex watches. No one has ever commented on them. I prefer it this way. I wear them almost everywhere, but not a great deal because I have a large collection.

Only my activity dictates what, or if, I'll wear a watch. Same goes for my Omegas, IWCs, Breitlings etc.

• Like 1