• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Tazmo61

The New Swatch Sistem51 Petite Secondes

I like it. I also agree with the comments about its size, why not 38mm?The original got a lot of unfair criticism regarding its  "unserviceable " status, which I thought was made particularly clear at its release.

I like it too and would certainly consider buying one.

I used to love my swatch watch back in the eighties!

I too like the design of the small seconds Sistem51 watch, and I also like having a steel case instead of the usual plastic affair. The current UK price for the small seconds model is £170 from Swatch, and although it is probably not rational, something old-fashioned in my psyche wants a relatively uncomplicated mechanical watch at that price to be servicable/repairable. As for the case size, I agree with WRENCH that 38 mm would have been a good size, preferably with an alternative available at 42 mm.

I prefer the blue one, but I am drawn to blue faced watches for some reason so maybe thats the reason. Has a touch of Skagan to it I think.

I’ve got a swatch irony auto that i’ve had for about 25 years. It doesn’t get any wear time these days. I keep seeing pics of new swatch watches that appeal to me but when I see them in the flesh and handle them I always think ‘Nah’.

Edited by Wheelnut69

I'm wondering if it's still 51 components, now that they've changed to small seconds. Call me odd, but that sort of thing bothers me.

I bought a couple of the very first Sistem51s, back when they were all plastic. I was really disappointed when they just stopped working after a few years. I guess that was to be expected, given their price point, fully sealed nature and the fact that they are designed to be the mechanical equivalent of Swatch's quartz staples. But still, whilst I am kinda ok with chucking a cheap plastic quartz that has given up the ghost, there's a part of me that still feels wrong doing this with a mechanical watch.

9 minutes ago, Tom-HK said:

there's a part of me that still feels wrong doing this with a mechanical watch.

In life a lot of mechanical units are sealed "for life" automobile gearboxes and differentials for example, and some of them don't last any longer than a Swatch either.

• Like 1