• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
KAS118

Day and Date Complications

Well with this lockdown - and one day 'feeling' very much like another, I've never been so pleased to have a few watches with both a Day and Date Complication :yes:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KAS118 said:

Well with this lockdown - and one day 'feeling' very much like another, I've never been so pleased to have a few watches with both a Day and Date Complication :yes:

I just bought this ...

s-l1600.jpg

I have no idea why.  Just liked it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I just bought this ...

s-l1600.jpg

I have no idea why.  Just liked it.

It looks very interesting :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

I do like that watch, Jet, and although I do not yet know who produced Lebem branded watches, it is evident that there enough examples out there to make for some interesting research. The brand name appears on watches from the 1950s and 1960s, including chronographs and dive watches, and the name, "LEBEM" on the dial is sometimes accompanied by a variety of simple logos such as a trianle or a "hat." I have noted a 1950s Lebem chronograph with the word mark, "EB. SUISSE" beneath the name "LEBEM," but unfortunately the initials "EB" were used by many watch-related companies.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Always"watching" said:

I do like that watch, Jet, and although I do not yet know who produced Lebem branded watches, it is evident that there enough examples out there to make for some interesting research. The brand name appears on watches from the 1950s and 1960s, including chronographs and dive watches, and the name, "LEBEM" on the dial is sometimes accompanied by a variety of simple logos such as a trianle or a "hat." I have noted a 1950s Lebem chronograph with the word mark, "EB. SUISSE" beneath the name "LEBEM," but unfortunately the initials "EB" were used by many watch-related companies.:)

Found this too - always wonder around anagrams with weird names, interesting that STEM and LEBEM both end in EM, so perhaps a clue there?

Stem Calendograph pointer date NOS - Calibre lorsa 237 - circa 1960 (36 mm / 18 mm)

Stem Calendograph pointer date NOS - Calibre lorsa 237 - circa 1960 (36 mm / 18 mm) [E]  #montresvintage #montrevintage #vintagewatch #vintagewatches #watch #watchcollection #watchcollector #watches #watchescollection #watchesforsale #watchesofinstagram #watchforsale #watchoftheday #watchphotography  #wristwatch #wristwatches #instawatch  #horlogy #wristenthusiast  #dailywatch #lebrocantheure #stemwatch #stemwatches  #calendograph #calendographe #calendograf #noswatch  #noswatchforsale  #noswatches

Have you come across watches described as Lebem (Difor)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-swiss-diver-watch-Lebem-difor/392297313659 

Calendographe Pointer model from the French brand Difor de Besançon. 

b1ff8b8f-c89c-4639-9540-cc9d0f23791d.jpg

EB was often used to denote ebauche, which is the term for a base watch movement.

‘EB Suisse’ was also used to state the movements origin of manufacture, but not necessarily the watch case or where it was assembled.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IAmATeaf said:

What does the LMMJVSD denote?

Days of the week, in French...?

• Like 1

Thanks Alan for that clarification. I did notice the link with the Difor brand, Jet, and I am pretty sure that Stem and Lebem are also not Swiss brands/brand names - possibly French but also possibly from elsewhere. The word, "lebem", is actually a variation of the word, "leben", the German for "life", which may be the derivation for the brand name; it is also a rare surname. As for the upper case letters around the bezel of the watch, Davey is correct in that they are the initial letters for the days of the week in French. In terms of identification, I believe that the section of small upper case letters on the bezel is an anagram prefaced by the shortened BTE letter group which probably is the shortening of "Breveté" referring to a patent for the days of the week bezel. The identity of the patentee(s) could assist with the identification of these watches.

This group of calendar watches is a most intriguing puzzle and further research is needed to uncover the story of the brand names found on them. Ton the Forum.hanks so much @Jet Jetski for introducing them on the Forum - I reckon you made a good purchase there.:)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

@Jet Jetski I reckon you made a good purchase there.:)

Thanks - I started collecting watches with various complications, usually quartz, and I am now flipping the quartz versions and replacing them with mechanical.  I can get a great deal right now on an Oris pointer day, but in the current uncertainties I will refrain - it would still be a big chunk for a watch I would seldom wear.

• Like 1

“Breveté SGDG was a French type of patent that ceased to exist in 1968. The name was a common abbreviation for "Breveté Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement“ (patent without government guarantees).”

33 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

"Breveté" referring to a patent

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Thanks Alan for that clarification. I did notice the link with the Difor brand, Jet, and I am pretty sure that Stem and Lebem are also not Swiss brands/brand names - possibly French but also possibly from elsewhere. The word, "lebem", is actually a variation of the word, "leben", the German for "life", which may be the derivation for the brand name; it is also a rare surname. As for the upper case letters around the bezel of the watch, Davey is correct in that they are the initial letters for the days of the week in French. In terms of identification, I believe that the section of small upper case letters on the bezel is an anagram prefaced by the shortened BTE letter group which probably is the shortening of "Breveté" referring to a patent for the days of the week bezel. The identity of the patentee(s) could assist with the identification of these watches.

This group of calendar watches is a most intriguing puzzle and further research is needed to uncover the story of the brand names found on them. Ton the Forum.hanks so much @Jet Jetski for introducing them on the Forum - I reckon you made a good purchase there.:)

Really interesting, thanks for this.  Will be curious to see what people find out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been looking on  the forum of our French counterparts.  A chap found records of Lebem in part of the same group of matchmaking companies as Difor, situated in Besancon, which is a French town not too far from the Swiss border. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mart said:

I've been looking on  the forum of our French counterparts.  A chap found records of Lebem in part of the same group of matchmaking companies as Difor, situated in Besancon, which is a French town not too far from the Swiss border. 

thanks - googled 'difor lebem besancon' and found this - includes the name of the founder of Difor

23 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

possibly French

:  

https://montrecachee.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/difor/

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?68515-Prim-amp-Lebem-from-Prague

"From what I am able to find out from some French forums Lebem was a small manufacturer in Besançon using imported swiss movements. They were taken over by Difor in the '60s."

and a bit more here:

http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/t43312-montre-lebem

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1