• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

10 minutes ago, Pompeak said:

Where do we draw the line at "too many watches"?

Well, I don't think 'too many watches' should ever be uttered,....but I rely heavily on a spreadsheet so I can keep track of what I own, it's condition, cost, approx. value, repairs needed, et, etc

Once you need a spreadsheet I think you could probably safely say that you don'r have too many watches, but it would be sensible to own less.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pompeak said:

Where do we draw the line at "too many watches"?

If I contemplate selling a watch, I determine to sell it, because there must be something about it that irritates and there is no need to hoard those - sometimes a watch is a place holder until you find a better example.  Also, buying online makes it more likely that you have not fully assessed the watch, especially if it is a genuine bargain and you feel under time pressure to buy at that price.  I have only sold half a dozen watches, but they were all ill-judged 'bargains' when I bought them.  Luckily you don't lose your shirt if you bought cheap.

A collector cannot have too many, really - people collect thimbles and teaspoons and all sorts.  How many do you need?  It is for me an issue of economics - I do wear all my watches, if I spend 5k now on one watch, I couldn't justify the wrist time (getting on, lol), if it got an equal go on the wrist, that would be about 20 weeks' wear if I last another 20 years - that's £250.00 per week!

Even if I spend £500.00, that's £25.00 per week's wear.  Wow.

Hello £50.00 watches! :laugh:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pompeak said:

At what point would you personally class the watch as British? Design, movement (?), assembly? You will definitely struggle to find all of those in an affordable watch.

Personally, as with any product it has to be at least assembled here ie Mini, Rolls Rolls, Bentley, but preferably manufactured here to be termed British.

One of my mountain bikes was designed in Britian, which means nothing to me.The Hope brakes, BB's and hubs are designed and manufactured here.

I definitely would struggle to find a British watch that's affordable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I definitely would struggle to find a British watch that's affordable.

Totally agree with you, I looked at a Bremont S2000, but I got nervous about buying their first in-house movement, and the bracelet looks like it was designed for King Kong.

I own some watches that have a relatively high cost, but I really enjoy getting a bargain, and I especially enjoy getting a watch described on Ebay as 'Not Working/ Non-Runner' and then with a little TLC get the thing running again.

I would buy British if there was a brand that were more affordable and it wasn't too much of a leap of faith.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Totally agree with you, I looked at a Bremont S2000, but I got nervous about buying their first in-house movement, and the bracelet looks like it was designed for King Kong.

I own some watches that have a relatively high cost, but I really enjoy getting a bargain, and I especially enjoy getting a watch described on Ebay as 'Not Working/ Non-Runner' and then with a little TLC get the thing running again.

I would buy British if there was a brand that were more affordable and it wasn't too much of a leap of faith.

Are all the Bremont's movement components made in this country?

I've worked on gear cutting and grinding m/c's and ground gear and pinnion faces to get the correct back lash so I admire the work that's gone into making these watches.

What sort of watches have you brought back to life ?

The S2000 is an in-house movement, I tried one on in a AD's in Edinburgh, but a couple of things got me nervous when I was in there. They offered a discount before I'd even asked, the bracelet is over-engineered and crazy big, the in-house movement is there first.

I have repaired Seiko 7T32 and 7T62 movements, old Seiko automatics 7625, 6205, and I have repaired some old Rolex 'trench' watches, and old pocket watches, etc, etc

I like to tinker, there is just one watch that I repair, it works for a while then needs tinkering with again, I guess it just misses me :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

The S2000 is an in-house movement, I tried one on in a AD's in Edinburgh, but a couple of things got me nervous when I was in there. They offered a discount before I'd even asked, the bracelet is over-engineered and crazy big, the in-house movement is there first.

I have repaired Seiko 7T32 and 7T62 movements, old Seiko automatics 7625, 6205, and I have repaired some old Rolex 'trench' watches, and old pocket watches, etc, etc

I like to tinker, there is just one watch that I repair, it works for a while then needs tinkering with again, I guess it just misses me :biggrin:

Thanks very much for tickling my 'I haven't enough watches' vulnerable spot :laugh: I've just been to talking to Cameron over at Bremont after seeing their CNC's at work machining the cases.

So now I want one:fyou: how much of a discount did they offer?

3 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

how much of a discount did they offer?

They didn't get down to offering an amount, but I was sort of hoping for around 10% ish. The S2000 is a beast of a watch, I had two Omega's on the table and the Bremont, and I think there may have been a Seiko Marinemaster also, the Bremont was stunning, but the bracelet put me off a little bit.

I will probably take another look at it when the AD's are open again as I want something a little different when I buy my next watch.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

They didn't get down to offering an amount, but I was sort of hoping for around 10% ish. The S2000 is a beast of a watch, I had two Omega's on the table and the Bremont, and I think there may have been a Seiko Marinemaster also, the Bremont was stunning, but the bracelet put me off a little bit.

I will probably take another look at it when the AD's are open again as I want something a little different when I buy my next watch.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/bremont-watches/products/bremont-watch-supermarine-s301-bk-leather

I like this one but I think it's because it looks like my BB58 and I'm not keen on bracelets.

And 41mm is my maximum.What were the Omegas?

• Like 1

I have a few things I look for in a watch, and have been using my lockdown time this morning sourcing my next purcahse. However, in the end it comes down to one thing - am I able to smuggle it past my missus without arousing suspicion...

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

I have a few things I look for in a watch, and have been using my lockdown time this morning sourcing my next purcahse. However, in the end it comes down to one thing - am I able to smuggle it past my missus without arousing suspicion...

Hahaha you may be able to get away with it once or twice but in the end, no. 

I've bought them, worn them and thought 'I've got away with it, then it's.....

"is that a new watch ??"

Then I look at her guiltily like a naughty dog:laugh:

Edited by Turpinr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I tried on a Bremont Martin Baker in Reid & Sons in January, they were offering me 30% discount because they were losing the stocking rights to Rox Jewellers. If I'd liked the watch enough it was a steal, however, they offered me the "heavy discount" before I'd even tried it on, which was weirdly off-putting.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

What were the Omegas?

Seamaster blue and black. I have looked at the Speedmaster previously and didn't get the 'fizz' from the Speedmaster so I thought I would look at the Seamaster thinking that I might get the 'fizz' from that model.

Sadly what it proved is that Omega is not a brand that is for me, it makes me sad really as I know there is some real history and innovation, but not a brand that makes me 'tingle'

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Seamaster blue and black. I have looked at the Speedmaster previously and didn't get the 'fizz' from the Speedmaster so I thought I would look at the Seamaster thinking that I might get the 'fizz' from that model.

Sadly what it proved is that Omega is not a brand that is for me, it makes me sad really as I know there is some real history and innovation, but not a brand that makes me 'tingle'

I love the Seamaster range, new and old but I know what you mean about that 'fizz' I don't get it from the Speedmaster :thumbsup:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I don't get it from the Speedmaster

I remember walking into the shop ready to buy, and I was genuinely disappointed as I felt absolutely nothing. My wrist just appears to know what I like, I have really tried hard to like anything from the Tudor range even though I have tried really hard. The only model I like is the Heritage BB with the ETA movement.

MOOD_nwd_tudor_heritage_black_bay_79110R

Thanks to chronext for the image :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I remember walking into the shop ready to buy, and I was genuinely disappointed as I felt absolutely nothing. My wrist just appears to know what I like, I have really tried hard to like anything from the Tudor range even though I have tried really hard. The only model I like is the Heritage BB with the ETA movement.

MOOD_nwd_tudor_heritage_black_bay_79110R

Thanks to chronext for the image :thumbs_up:

I love the Harrods green but I know if I put it on it'd be too thick:(but I knew I'd like the thinner BB58 before I saw it.

I think the Bremont is one I want to like because of the British connection 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I think the Bremont is one I want to like because of the British connection 

I totally agree, I am going to do the same as I am looking to support British businesses in any way I can after the dust settles from the Coronavirus situation.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I totally agree, I am going to do the same as I am looking to support British businesses in any way I can after the dust settles from the Coronavirus situation.

I've always tried to buy British and even manage to buy clothing made here.

To me wearing an England shirt or flying a flag with a red cross on it, when both are made in China means nothing.

• Like 2

Have had a look at the website of the OP. All the usual claims, but not a lot (at least for me) to get excited about.

All quartz.

Pompeak may claim it's deliberate styling, but to me having the date wheel and subdials clustered around the centre of the face . . . .

vAucLRl.jpg

. . . . . simply looks like someone has used an available ladies' movement in a large case.

Sorry.

7 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

This isn't an in-house movement, it's a modified movement. The in-house movement was planned for later this year and will primarily be used in LE's and special editions, at least initially. But God knows what is happening to their plans with all the virus issues. They offered to help make ventilators with their special machining equipment, some of it unique to the UK. They make all their own cases and an increasing amount of movement parts. It's all on their website. 

Automatic 

39mm-42mm diameter

max 13mm depth

ETA, Seiko in house or in house movement

Dive, Racer or GMT (I tend to love watch with bezel ring of sorts)

No chronograph function (chrono tend to be too fat, and also I don't like second hand not moving at 12)

I love good quality, super clean finishing raised marker and logo on the dial, like on Omega Seamaster or De Ville watches.  I tend to stay away from painted dials with exceptions like Max Bill or Speedmaster.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2020 at 16:09, yokel said:

Have had a look at the website of the OP. All the usual claims, but not a lot (at least for me) to get excited about.

All quartz.

Thanks for taking the time to check out the site. Yes our debut collection is indeed quartz, and we are halfway through our second Kickstarter campaign introducing our first automatic watch! Again, very conscious to not let this turn into a marketing post or even a post about us so feel free to check that out if you so wish.

Thank you to everyone else for the responses! I can only say I am slightly jealous of your collections, and very impressed by the variety.

There are tons of discussions on the matter but what are your thoughts on movement origins?

There's been mention in this thread of supporting British, which is great, and I totally agree, but the British selection of movements is limited to say the least. Swiss vs Japanese vs? In-house movement or favourite brands?

As @yokel alluded to, not much to get excited about, I’m afraid.

The price you are pitching at the competition from established brands is huge.  
My personal preference would be mechanical, manual or automatic.  Have you considered models with manual movements, this would reduce costs considerably....Sellita ?  

It may be worthwhile contacting watch review site’s such as WIAA, or even attending one of their roadshows.  The feedback from potential watch savvy buyers would be invaluable for you, IMHO.

Be warned, like here the cognoscenti can be a harsh, critical, but generally honest bunch.

Wish you well, but feel you have a lot more to do if you are to succeed in this fiercely competitive marketplace.

:thumbsup:

@Karrusel

Thank you for the feedback, as I have always said and with our Automatic collection firmly in the pipeline - this is just the beginning for us.

But I really do want to keep this thread on topic :biggrin:

In order to be classed as British made, are their similar laws in place as to be "swiss made"? And what are the requirements? Just assembled? Or parts made there and assembled?