• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi guys and girls,

A bit of an opinion poll for an isolated Sunday afternoon:

Do you have any "must haves" when buying a new watch? 

Complications? Colours? Calibres?

Mechanical or Quartz? Swiss or Japanese?

Big boy 50mm or the more classic 40mm?

I realise this is a very open question, but let's be honest, we all have a little extra time at the moment.

Dive, dress or pilots, what makes a killer watch for you?

Not overlooking cost of course, I set filters on size. The ideal range for my wrists is between 36 & 40mm. I don’t rule out timepieces outside that range such the Tudor Pelagos but couldn’t gel with the blue dial and it’s 42mm. Hope we see more smaller watches like the Tudor BB58 and IWC Spitfire 

1 hour ago, Pompeak said:

Hi guys and girls,

A bit of an opinion poll for an isolated Sunday afternoon:

Do you have any "must haves" when buying a new watch? 

Complications? Colours? Calibres?

Mechanical or Quartz? Swiss or Japanese?

Big boy 50mm or the more classic 40mm?

I realise this is a very open question, but let's be honest, we all have a little extra time at the moment.

Dive, dress or pilots, what makes a killer watch for you?

No not really but I do tend to lean towards divers watches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugsoriental said:

Not overlooking cost of course, I set filters on size. The ideal range for my wrists is between 36 & 40mm. I don’t rule out timepieces outside that range such the Tudor Pelagos but couldn’t gel with the blue dial and it’s 42mm. Hope we see more smaller watches like the Tudor BB58 and IWC Spitfire 

Of course size would depend on the individual wrist. Referring to your references you tend to go for dive and pilot watches?

48 minutes ago, mrzee said:

No not really but I do tend to lean towards divers watches.

Solid choice, is there anything in particular about the divers watches or purely a fan of the aesthetic?  

@Pompeak

Come on, time to be honest & let all know who you really represent!

Before answering it would be courteous to approach the forum owner first. :yes:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I normally tend to go for divers or sporty looking watches,  watches that are unmistakably mens watches, im not overly keen on watches with loads of sub dials which im never going to use.

• Like 1

My tastes have changed as I learn more about watches and brands. 

I love chronographs, and  dive watches, but my favourite watches that I currently own are not dive watches or chronographs, they are simple well designed watches.

One or two years ago my grail watch would have been a Rolex Daytona, now I would be happier to have a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso on my wrist or a Audemars Piguet Millenary.

Time and knowledge has a way of changing your view on what is good and what is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will not have:

A bezel that looks like it should move but doesn't. erm, except my Timex grab and go, but that's different.

No photo description available.

A 24 hr sub-dial - because I don't work on a submarine.  erm, except my Citizen AT world timer, but that's different.

A chrono with running centre seconds, instead of on the sub-dial.  erm, except my Breil desk flyer, but that's different.

A 'diver' that does not have a lume pip on the bezel.  erm, except my Vostok space-watch, but that's different.

Anything your average WIS would consider 'Mickey Mouse'.

Erm ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Between 36mm and 42mm max for my little girl wrists and automatic movement but beyond that I don't have a particular fetish for complications etc. I see so many WRUW posts on the forum that make me want to spend my children's inheritance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grand Old Duke said:

. . . . . make me want to spend my children's inheritance

If you don’t, they will.

All of the following diatribe is just my perverted personal taste . . . .

I lean away from “themed watches”, although I have one “diver” and one “Flieger” (inverted commas because neither has ever been wet or in the cockpit of an (even virtual) aircraft).

Chronos cost a lot to service, have fussy faces, and functionality which I never use (but I have one).

190mm wrist, so 38mm to (absolute max) 43mm.

Less is more. Simplicity and elegance do it for me.

Mechanical only (though I admit to having one quartz).

Display case back is sine qua non. I like to see the watchmakers art.

Manual movements are generally sexier looking than autos  —  and, if you wear in some form of rotation, no more of a hassle to wind and set.

I find watches which are “all face” significantly more attractive than watches with acres of metal around the face. The porthole look (M. Genta) doeth it not for me.

East Germany for preference, followed by Switzerland and Japan (GS are very worthy indeed, but my collection is only Germans and Swiss).

Here endeth  . . . . :Snore:

• Like 4

Mine are all Swiss, mainly divers, and favourite colour blue.The biggest is 41mm, smallest 34mm.

I prefer autos to quartz but still have the latter.

I'd prefer to buy British but I can't afford the ones I've liked, which is the same with German watches.

I wouldn't ever buy Japanese and would've preferred to have not bought a fake:fyou:but that's what happened.

Edited by Turpinr
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, yokel said:

If you don’t, they will.

I concur. :yes:

Let the blighters work longer & harder!

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

I must like it. Quartz, manual, auto, German,Swiss, Russian, Japanese, Chinese I've got them all. Around 36mm is the optimum size.

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I must like it. Quartz, manual, auto, German,Swiss, Russian, Japanese, Chinese I've got them all. Around 36mm is the optimum size.

That's the main criteria for me too, doesn't really matter style, where it's made etc, as long as I like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do I like it?  Can I afford it?  Is it interesting?  Do I already have one?

If I get three out of four yes's then the likelyhood is a new watch is coming my way!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Pompeak said:

what makes a killer watch for you?

Definitely this Poljot, it's "sick".

• Like 2

I usually have a next watch 'type' - currently this is an automatic chronograph, as this is the obvious gaping hole in my current collection but there are various other backup 'wants', such as an office GMT, a teal diver or a cheap tourbillon. 

Then I have a 'watch fund account', once this has filled up enough to buy the main watch 'want' it gets bought, however if a backup comes along at a bargain price or one off deal that is within current budget then that get got instead.

For example my last purchase was from the backup pile - a California dial Spinnaker Hull, but only because I found it at an incredibly good price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Do I like it?  Can I afford it?  Is it interesting?  Do I already have one?

If I get three out of four yes's then the likelyhood is a new watch is coming my way!

This ^ is pretty much the correct answer :laughing2dw:

In my case, I go for quartz only (Philistine! :tongue:), large (40mm minimum), clearly readable (so no hands the same colour as the dial...), and no NATO straps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

oh go on

Go on!  Go on!

They are lovely watches mate... but the straps belong in the bin :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Davey P said:

They are lovely watches mate... but the straps belong in the bin :laughing2dw:

How the hell will you fasten your strap over your space suit? :wacko:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

How the hell will you fasten your strap over your space suit? :wacko:

:swoon:

• Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 20:48, Karrusel said:

@Pompeak

Come on, time to be honest & let all know who you really represent!

This is in no way intended to be a marketing post but in the interest of full transparency - Dave here, co-founder of Pompeak watches. I'll let you do the research if you want but as I say, no way intended to be a marketing post, just some innocent community research as we're currently brain storming the next collection and I've been stuck inside for too long :) Admin - please let me know if there are any issues :) 

On 05/04/2020 at 21:20, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

My tastes have changed as I learn more about watches and brands...

Time and knowledge has a way of changing your view on what is good and what is great.

That is something I think we can all agree on there!

On 05/04/2020 at 21:33, Jet Jetski said:

I will not have:

Anything your average WIS would consider 'Mickey Mouse'.

Quite possibly my favourite response :laugh: And that sir, is a solid collection.

12 hours ago, yokel said:

If you don’t, they will.

Never a truer phrase. And thank you for the detailed response.

12 hours ago, Turpinr said:

I'd prefer to buy British but I can't afford the ones I've liked, which is the same with German watches.

At what point would you personally class the watch as British? Design, movement (?), assembly? You will definitely struggle to find all of those in an affordable watch.

9 hours ago, julian2002 said:

I usually have a next watch 'type' - currently this is an automatic chronograph, as this is the obvious gaping hole in my current collection...

One thing for sure is that its rare for watch folk to have just one watch, although I do know people who trade in watches often rather than building a large collection. 

Where do we draw the line at "too many watches"?

• Like 1