• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watchbox has one space...suggestions please

I was due to send off the Navitimer for a service and the Aerospace for a battery. Instead I got the watchbox out and did the battery change myself - seems to be running with the new battery just fine!!! The service will have to wait.

In the meantime I realised I have one slot in the box being taken up by my wife's Oris Big Crown diver (which she never wears). Now this got me thinking, assuming I sell on the Oris what watch do you guys think I should get to fill that remaining cushion? She tells me she doesn't want "another bloody watch" which I guess means I can get what I want for myself! :clap:

49753548388_ab7b141e8e_k.jpgWatchbox by dougal74, on Flickr

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Or something common but very wearable like a Datejust?  If you like the SARB you will love the DJ

Both the Hamilton and the SARB tick the everyday wear box, plus their size/value means I'll give them to my kids in a few years (my daughter already loves display backs and movements). A DJ has never really spoken to me - nor has any Rolex for that matter. A GS, Railmaster, IWC Mark might tick the everyday box when they go.

2 hours ago, yokel said:

Something from Germany?

Doesn't come much more exclusive than a Dornblüth  --  they manufacture around 200 pieces per year :thumbsup:

I've never held a German watch. and therefore I am only going on videos/photos, but they always come across as wearing a bit large on the wrist...beautifully designed and engineered though they are.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dougal74 said:

Both the Hamilton and the SARB tick the everyday wear box, plus their size/value means I'll give them to my kids in a few years (my daughter already loves display backs and movements). A DJ has never really spoken to me - nor has any Rolex for that matter. A GS, Railmaster, IWC Mark might tick the everyday box when they go.

I've never held a German watch. and therefore I am only going on videos/photos, but they always come across as wearing a bit large on the wrist...beautifully designed and engineered though they are.

Try a Sinn 556 ,a tad smaller around 38 .5 mm.Wears a little small on my 20cm wrist ,but a great watch imho.

based on what you have , one of the GS range , spring drive , autos some nice stuff in there , or a tudor of some type they are not all black bays , like to type a only a manufacturer into chrono24 and select location/uk and see what comes up :yes:

deano

Edited by deano1956
2 hours ago, Rotundus said:

Globemaster, blue would be best. :thumbsup:

Thank you, tried one at an airport and thought the dial proportions didn’t work on my wrist, lovely thing though.

3 hours ago, deano1956 said:

based on what you have , one of the GS range , spring drive , autos some nice stuff in there , or a tudor of some type they are not all black bays , like to type a only a manufacturer into chrono24 and select location/uk and see what comes up :yes:

deano

Was looking at a GS GMT with the white etched face, not sure I could live with no lume on a GMT.

5 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

Something with corners since they all seem to be round...a reverso perhaps?

Nice idea, a Reverso with a moonphase maybe...

• Like 1
22 hours ago, dougal74 said:

Maybe you should, if we ever get out of lock down, take the opportunity to fondle a few. The only (nominally) German watch I own which I feel wears large is my Meistersinger. (Nominally, because they are Swiss made to German design). And, in general, you are right about the design and engineering.

@relaxer7 mentioned a Zenith. Another very good brand which flies (at least for its non-chronos) under the radar. The Captain range (my example below) are very elegant . . .

RYc0HLe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, really useful to narrow things down a bit. I think I'm looking at one of the following, any further advice most welcome: -

49777303658_1806a8c096_k.jpgJLC Master Geo by dougal74, on Flickr

49777837326_c950895935_b.jpggp_5790586 by dougal74, on Flickr

49778182772_1db8ef999a_h.jpgJLC UTM by dougal74, on Flickr

49778165662_e15db55d97_h.jpgGO PanamaticLunar by dougal74, on Flickr

49778182792_0fb1fe69d0_h.jpgJLC Master World by dougal74, on Flickr

49777837606_f96b286277_h.jpgdjrhodium by dougal74, on Flickr

49777304083_bd89773b90_b.jpgJLC Master Geo 3 by dougal74, on Flickr

27 minutes ago, dougal74 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, really useful to narrow things down a bit. I think I'm looking at one of the following, any further advice most welcome: -

49777303658_1806a8c096_k.jpg

I had one of these briefly.  They are quite complex to read, and a pain to set up if you are not wearing them daily.  Plus it was quite bulky (so is the GO)

I can admire the Girard-Perregaux, but would constantly be thinking it is a Royal Oak / Nautilaus mash up.

How about looking at Zenith for alternatives to JLC too?  Both are nice watches

22 minutes ago, Speedy112 said:

Time to buy another Watch Box.

That would end in divorce!

44 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I had one of these briefly.  They are quite complex to read, and a pain to set up if you are not wearing them daily.  Plus it was quite bulky (so is the GO)

I can admire the Girard-Perregaux, but would constantly be thinking it is a Royal Oak / Nautilaus mash up.

How about looking at Zenith for alternatives to JLC too?  Both are nice watches

I'm probably only fixated on the Master Geo idea due to all the Zoom conference calls going on!! The timezone functions of my two quartz are far better anyway!

I actually prefer the GP, don't like the screws on the AP or the hatch look of the PP.

If I got a Zenith it would be an El Primero and I am happy with the chronos I have.

• Like 1