• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

One detail about your watch that makes you go Hmmmm ...

It could be in a good way, or a bad way.

The Good:

First up (and you heard it first here) 'future classic' Holton Professional.  Love the way the hobnailing on the bezel is scaled down for the crown.

IMG_20200412_130002240(1).thumb.jpg.9e6f6825c2ebda931774293f39ca0f8f.jpg

IMG_20200412_130002240(1)(1).thumb.jpg.468ed3d8e8d03c35d141b1035874be35.jpg

And the logo is upright too, I'm going away now to check all my other 'screw-in' crowns!

Anyway, Holton Professional - Hmmmm ... - who needs Sally James?!

Any detail about your watch that makes you go Hmmmm .... ?

• Like 3
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a bit of Knurling when I was a boy  

It could be in a good way, or a bad way. The Good: First up (and you heard it first here) 'future classic' Holton Professional.  Love the way the hobnailing on the bezel is scaled down for t

Me too, but my mother said it would make me go blind. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Think about it. :yes:

p01hgc5f.jpg

Now amazingly I did recognise Deryck - I am terrible at confusing people, especially actors and especially actors who all look the same like Cary Grant and Dean Martin and Clark Gable.

And I presume your hand shot up when I asked 'Who needs Sally James'? 

@Roger the Dodger would of course have italicized the word hand.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Now amazingly I did recognise Deryck - I am terrible at confusing people, especially actors and especially actors who all look the same like Cary Grant and Dean Martin and Clark Gable.

And I presume your hand shot up when I asked 'Who needs Sally James'? 

@Roger the Dodger would of course have italicized the word hand.

I was wondering if Elliot Brown was a relation of Lennox Brown. 

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

I was wondering if Elliot Brown was a relation of Lennox Brown. 

OK that's too deep for me, lol

Alex Brown might be, Ian Elliot less likely.

Brands are interesting - a 'Brown Elliot' watch might have been less appealing somehow.

Right now I am looking at a watch with a fabric watch strap that fastens by means of a long velcro strip, and going, "hmmmm!" Why, you may ask? Well, the velcro fastening attracts all sorts of fluff from my jumpers when the watch is on the wrist and I have to keep pulling this unsightly debris from the velcro's clutches.:)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jet Jetski said:

It could be in a good way, or a bad way.

The Good:

First up (and you heard it first here) 'future classic' Holton Professional.  Love the way the hobnailing on the bezel is scaled down for the crown.

IMG_20200412_130002240(1)(1).thumb.jpg.468ed3d8e8d03c35d141b1035874be35.jpg

:biggrin:

Knurling-Tools-workpiece_top-1.jpg

ldo9u1l6yzn5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Right now I am looking at a watch with a fabric watch strap that fastens by means of a long velcro strip, and going, "hmmmm!" Why, you may ask? Well, the velcro fastening attracts all sorts of fluff from my jumpers when the watch is on the wrist and I have to keep pulling this unsightly debris from the velcro's clutches.:)

Fun Fact: The first space suit was knitted by Yuri Gagarin's grandma from Angora wool, but was rejected because it kept snagging on his watch strap when he grabbed for the booster magnetos!  

I have a couple of different patterns, the one on the left is known as a 'fast wrap' and is presumably designed to be used in zero gravity, because here on earth you drop your watch at least once while trying to put it on.  That is why cosmonauts went from the 3017 non-shock resisting chrono to the 3133, because they were constantly smashing their watches during training, on account of the velcro straps .  True story.

IMG_20200412_144930557(1)(1).thumb.jpg.4512832ed402a620ba90f626e0ba275f.jpg

IMG_20200412_144632121(1).thumb.jpg.06345ef69898d62b098836ae5df8eec2.jpg

:biggrin:

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 2

The Bad:

This is a very nice watch, quite classy, based on a higher grade 2824-2, with a DD big-date (which I really like) small seconds (which is OK, but wait ... ) module.

About those small seconds.  The watch looks good, I like the engine turning on the dial and the embossed tracks for the tips of the seconds, minute and hour hands; but although aesthetically I enjoy the chapter ring - the whiff of accuracy from all those graduations (and the watch is my most accurate mechanical) - they are a bit superfluous without a sweep seconds hand, no?  I mean, they are superfluous even WITH a sweep seconds hand, but these are super superfluous!

56191394_128354264902486_8781977062433882112_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=uceuJvsGo6sAX_ICc2d&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=ecad84dc64fe5399056d073b6a72a95b&oe=5EB801A8

There is even a watch I would love, but the seconds track is graduated in 5ths, while the mecaquartz only jumps 4 times per second.  There are 5 hz quartz movements, so that is quite annoying - here is that culprit:

image_21836_19_v1.jpeg

Watch designers :  Don't play with your references!

Edited by Jet Jetski

I only did chequered knurling.

I started work at a factory in 1999 with another bloke and we were both told

'don't touch anything on this knurling m/c' 

:laugh:Which is what he did and it took ages to get it knurling in a straight line again 

Edited by Turpinr
2 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I only did chequered knurl.I started work at a factory in 1999 with another bloke and we were both told

'don't touch anything on this knurling m/c' 

:laugh:Which is what he did and it took ages to get it knurling in a straight line again 

I used tohave jobs in the summer holidays with building services contractors, thanks Dad, and one of my safety inductions went thus.  "Hold that!" [I hold it]      *click*    Me:"owwwwwww!" - It was the high voltage solenoid to spark the boiler and he pressed the ignition switch!.  And the message?  "Don't touch anything!"    But it was OK for me to work 15 feet up a ladder swinging a hammer and bolster chisel, to smash a hole through a mill wall for a flue pipe ....

Starting to sound like one of The Four Yorkshiremen.  RIP Tim Brooke-Taylor, also.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Here's a riveting video,

Sorry, this is the riveting one,

Thanks for that :thumbsup: I had very mixed results with those indexing heads.

They didn't always index enough times:(

We used to make rivet guns at Ingersoll Rand but they were only a conly ish air tool

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Here's a riveting video,

Sorry, this is the riveting one,

That boy has it easy with a press, imagine doing a shift of riveting like this must have been like. 

https://youtu.be/CVjS1DsqYvo

I just found the full video 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-visit-to-a-shipbuilding-yard-1951-online

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, tixntox said:

Not if you stand on your head and squint!

… but then the straight knuuuuurling is upside down 

2 hours ago, Boots said:

Which is left again... is it the spoon or the fork hand?

… cutlery - theres posh !

• Haha 2
On 12/04/2020 at 14:43, BondandBigM said:

On 12/04/2020 at 14:58, Turpinr said:

Me too

8 hours ago, Rotundus said:

the left hand and right hand knurling are the wrong way round

I have to confess to having never knurled, however, I have cut and screwed pipe, with none of those fancy screwing machines.  We threaded the tube with stocks and dies, I say 'we' - the chaps used to cut a rake of pipework, and leave me to thread it, but they did have jolly japes and stories all the while, interspersed with the occasional chorus of 'Work till you're muscle-bound!'.  One chap went off for a nap while I threaded a load of tube, and of course the boss turned up, and I had to make up a story about how he had gone to look for a nozzle, fit to leg it to the van and bang on the window!  If it was red-band steel I used to cheat sometimes and slide a scaffold tube over the stocks, and when we ran out out of cutting oil (in fact I don't remember having any ever lol - maybe they did but just didn't give the new boy any ha ha ha) I had to pour coffee over the die or spit on it.

Coffee?  You were LUCKY!

JJ

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, WickerBill said:

The movement in my Speedmaster Racing. A little off putting at how ‘unbalanced’ it felt to begin with...but apparently perfectly normal and a quirk of the model...one which I’ve grown to enjoy, it makes the watch feel more alive to me

OK, the Eta 7750 auto had a famous wobble - I believe some Speedies are heavily related.  I had a lovely Gucci with an Eta 7750 chrono movement, but as soon as I got it home the legibility just wasn't there for me at the angle I glanced at it - luckily someone on here bought it and I didn't lose much on it.  If you took a picture straight on it was amazing, but on the wrist just not the same.  I would love a Speedy one day though.

• Like 1

Speedys are a great watch. I have to admit not all of them are my cup of tea. I find the standard black model a little boring for my taste...although the sapphire sandwich is lovely on the rear (problem is you don’t get to see that bit while wearing it!) I like the racing models...a bit of colour really makes the dial pop and makes them a lot more interesting 

• Like 1