• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Morthin

American drop dial case clock

American drop dial case clock. 

My clock is running a bit erratic, slight adjustment to the pendulum will cause it to gain time a lot. 

, if I adjust it a minute turn it looses big time. Basically it's very difficult to get it right. Any ideas how can I overcome this, its annoying to say the least 

What condition is the movement in. Has it been serviced, recently. Are the mainsprings strong I.e will it run for a week?

It was serviced about 15 months ago, I have five  clocks a room,so I tend to give each of them a run for about a month each. It does by the 6th day slow down and probably could do with a wind, but it's time keeping before the 6th day does as explained.

I take it that these are 7 day clocks, we're they good time keepers? 

I restored one of these that was housed in a church belfry and hadn't run  for years.  Compared with most UK and European clocks it was very poor quality.  The plates were thin and looked rather like brass versions of a windup  tinplate toy mechanism.  I re-bushed quite a lot of it and it does run for nearly 2 weeks as it has open springs.  The timekeeping over a week is fair but nothing special.  They seem to be more ornamental than a serious timekeeper.

As a matter of interest we couldn't get it to run at all accurately when it was put back in the bell tower and eventually it turned out that the wall wasn't quite vertical and the pendulum was catching on the case very slightly.