• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Fantastic Friday WRUW?

Jet Jetski

After decades of not owning denim jeans, I have become something of a regular, in my new 'waist-up' working life. Thanks Zoom, for the excuse to buy a fashion watch.

IMG_20200417_122824145(1).thumb.jpg.4fc0beaac1c97358523c62853e650067.jpg

Sapphire crystal, Miyota auto, solid stainless bracelet, solid end links, and screw down crown.  Display back. WR not great, but you are talking to a man careful never to get water in his ears, so it's 48.5 metres more than I need!  Finish looks to be a mixture of satin and brushed, except for the sides of the bracelet links, which are polished.

HAGD

• Like 9

3 hours ago, scottswatches said:

so frustrating!  I have just had a parcel with three nice watches arrive, but I am leaving them a few days to make sure any virus is dead before touching them

UV kills it. Put them in the sun for an hour or two then spray them lightly with gin. Cheers. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, badgersdad said:

UV kills it. Put them in the sun for an hour or two then spray them lightly with gin. Cheers. 

That's a good shout, although UVC is the killer wavelength, and not a lot of that reaches the ground - I used to make class 1 biological safety cabinets with UVC lighting to sterilise them between procedures,and a special glass was used for the lamps so as not to absorb that wavelength, and then someone said we should put a plastic sleeve over the tube as a safet precaution in case it broke = I did some research and the plstic film would have absorbed it too.  Anyway, gin is a gooder shout - or aftershave with an astringent base.  I heard talk about you need 70% (not 70o) alcohol but that is almost certainly not true.  After gladiators got disembowelled, they would stuff the guts back in and sew them up, good to go in a few days time, IF (big IF) they did not succumb to peritonitis, and they found that washing the intestines in wine first, probably at between 8 and 12 % I am guessing, was usually an effective prophylactic against that hazard.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

That's a good shout, although UVC is the killer wavelength, and not a lot of that reaches the ground - I used to make class 1 biological safety cabinets with UVC lighting to sterilise them between procedures,and a special glass was used for the lamps so as not to absorb that wavelength, and then someone said we should put a plastic sleeve over the tube as a safet precaution in case it broke = I did some research and the plstic film would have absorbed it too.  Anyway, gin is a gooder shout - or aftershave with an astringent base.  I heard talk about you need 70% (not 70o) alcohol but that is almost certainly not true.  After gladiators got disembowelled, they would stuff the guts back in and sew them up, good to go in a few days time, IF (big IF) they did not succumb to peritonitis, and they found that washing the intestines in wine first, probably at between 8 and 12 % I am guessing, was usually an effective prophylactic against that hazard.

Though you’re right about UVC, which is screened by the ozone layer and therefore of little use in this case, alcohol for killing of c-virus does need to be 70%bv or more. This is because 70% means it is ethyl alcohol and it effectively dissolves the lipid envelope of the virus cell. Lesser percentages (and indeed IPA (not the ale version!)) may still do this but will take much longer rendering it ineffective. 

The Romans did use wine, but this was for its disinfecting properties against broad spectrum bacteria etc, not virus. Drinking wine may have had the reverse effect on the Romans though - https://advancedtissue.com/2014/09/can-wine-hinder-wound-healing-process/

Back on topic, switched to the gulfmaster for some gardening. 

Gulfmaster G-Shock

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

large.IMG_20200417_100848152.jpg.b06caa09f792b1f313732b6403dc13d2.jpg

That’s interesting- any more info on it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scottswatches said:

so frustrating!  I have just had a parcel with three nice watches arrive, but I am leaving them a few days to make sure any virus is dead before touching them

TBH I don't think there is a scenario in which people will not encounter this virus, it will likely become an endemic disease and herd immunity is unlikely to be realised until a good while after I go back to work, so I have decided it is simply an occupational hazard of being alive.  At least if I get it now there's a bed to be had, and the weather is getting better.  All a bit grim otherwise.

What about meths?

I bought a jolly nice watch very similar to this from a good brand - blue dial, printed markers orange second hand even I think - and I sold it because only the hands were lumed, which I thought was poor for £300.00.  You buy things online sometimes without full appreciation and then try to live with it.  NEXT!

IMG_20200417_150943587(1)(1).thumb.jpg.53f025ed449c6f9f4fa3d19ce349d467.jpg

• Like 2