• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Post Covid New Purchase

Mike2107

47 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Same goes for IWC. They have some stunning watches with amazing build quality and finishing, but always for a grand too much.

Totally agree with you, a grand too much, but with the Bell & Ross is about a grand and a half too much. The company have only been going since 1992 there or thereabouts. IWC have a decent amount more history.

At nearly £4000 there are lots of brands with great watches at this price, I'll name just one...Breitling, now I'm not a fan of Breitling, but there is some pedigree there which Bell & Ross just don't have.

I'll let the Corona dust settle and see what deals are available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Totally agree with you, a grand too much, but with the Bell & Ross is about a grand and a half too much. The company have only been going since 1992 there or thereabouts. IWC have a decent amount more history.

At nearly £4000 there are lots of brands with great watches at this price, I'll name just one...Breitling, now I'm not a fan of Breitling, but there is some pedigree there which Bell & Ross just don't have.

I'll let the Corona dust settle and see what deals are available.

I have two Breitling watches ... A Colt and an Avenger Skyland. Both are exceptional value for money.

The Colt I got for around £1800 as pre-owned unworn and its the best value watch I have ever bought. Build and finish is amazing.

Omega used to offer the same value until a couple of years ago when they decided their **** no longer stunk and they put their prices up by 50% over 30 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I have two Breitling watches ... A Colt and an Avenger Skyland. Both are exceptional value for money.

The Colt I got for around £1800 as pre-owned unworn and its the best value watch I have ever bought. Build and finish is amazing.

Omega used to offer the same value until a couple of years ago when they decided their **** no longer stunk and they put their prices up by 50% over 30 months.

Always been tempted by a colt. To be fair, you can still get Omegas at a decent price in sales. My speedy cost £2200 new from watches of Switzerland....you just have to be on the lookout for flash sales all the time. I know Ernst Jones and smaller jewellers also give big discounts around Christmas time. 

while I do think prices for pieces like the railmaster (4K!) are a little on the high side when you compare watches like the Diver 300 to the Submariner it’s a bargain for the watch you get....to be fair, that’s because the submariner is ridiculously overpriced though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WickerBill said:

Always been tempted by a colt. To be fair, you can still get Omegas at a decent price in sales. My speedy cost £2200 new from watches of Switzerland....you just have to be on the lookout for flash sales all the time. I know Ernst Jones and smaller jewellers also give big discounts around Christmas time. 

while I do think prices for pieces like the railmaster (4K!) are a little on the high side when you compare watches like the Diver 300 to the Submariner it’s a bargain for the watch you get....to be fair, that’s because the submariner is ridiculously overpriced though. 

I have the Omega 300M inky black Seamaster and I got it for around 2.5K which was a great price for a great watch. The Rolex Submariners are a bit over priced in my view but since they are now largely only theoretical watches New, I don't pay them too much attention... [ That said @Richy got a really nice one fairly recently and I was full of admiration for his variant ].

Omega still have good prices for many of their watches , but 4.6 for the Aquaterra is ridiculous and the "golf" variants are always in the sales because no one in their right mind would pay full ticket for one. Same goes with the Moon watch. Now stupidly priced. Decent ( albeit old fashioned in the extreme ) watch. But daft money.

Breitling are brilliant value on almost all their watches in my opinion. The colt can be haggled down to around 2.3 and for that money its a no brainer.

• Like 3

I've bought several watches during the lockdown. All are wintage.

Some of them:

Rare Georges Favre-Jacot (Zenith) original wrist watch from 1917, made during WW1 for the Russian market just before Russian Commuinst revilution.

Early Zenith in-house chronograph CH-1 with full scale Tachimeter.

And so on.

• Like 1

Something in the automatic and chronograph arena for me next as it's the most glaring omission from my current collection.

I have to make some room in my watch box first though so will be moving on some watches I no longer wear much any longer to partially fund the purchase. I'm also saving like mad too as most of my wants are pie in the sky at the moment.

After that who knows? A dress watch? A cheap Chinese tourbillon, an office GMT(probably this - like the Avenger GMT), a world time?