• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
james brodie

Casio resin straps always seem to break?

Have had three over last decade and all seem to snap around 3 to 4 years, which kind of defeates the object of have a 10 year battery or Solar power! To replace the strap doesn't seem worth it. Others found the same? Or should perhaps I should remove it in the shower? I'm certainly doing something wrong

Edited by james brodie

I wouldn’t imagine you’re doing anything wrong , so can’t help there I’m afraid, but can advise that cousins do generic replacements for Casio’s at reasonable prices, may be worth a look? 

• Like 1

Where are they snapping?

Are you stretching the resin when wearing or taking the watch off by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

Where are they snapping?

Are you stretching the resin when wearing or taking the watch off by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally half way between face and fastening. Maybe I'm just heavy handed. From what I've read the G-Shock don't have this problem but I've never owned one

I certainly haven't encountered the problem in the same time scale, and I recently replaced two straps,.one G Shock, One Protrek, that were well in excess of 10 years old for a neighbour. Both of which saw severe use in military environments. 

2 minutes ago, james brodie said:

Generally half way between face and fastening. Maybe I'm just heavy handed. From what I've read the G-Shock don't have this problem but I've never owned one

If you shop around, replacement straps can be had cheap. I picked up both for the ones I mentioned above for £5 - £9.

• Like 1

I usually wear a W-86 daily and over the last 10 years I bet I've got through three. Mine has always snapped where the buckle fastens as if they hole it goes through must've worn away. For what they cost though I just buy a new one and someone is usually willing to give me half the cost back on ebay for broken one as spares.

• Like 1

There are some interesting comments on this issue on the following forum thread: edcforums.com/threads/rubber-silicon-resin-bands-durability-issues.135165/

It would seem that there is some consensus that there have been great improvements made over the years in the durability of resin/rubber watch straps used by Casio, at least on their higher quality watches such as G-Shocks. :)