• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I seem to be getting an ever increasing amount of money off watches emails now. My wife gets second hand stuff for sale sent via Instagram etc, and this morning the content was mainly second hand Yacht Masters for some reason. :hmmm9uh:

I had an email off someone I dealt with over five years ago, and hadn't heard from 'til yesterday, offering 5 of them. :sign_wtf:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not just second hand, I’ve had phone calls off watches of Switzerland for previously unavailable watches that have suddenly become available. 

Strange, considering factories have been shut, so either they don’t actually have the watches yet or they’ve been hiding them away to bump up prices...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

Strange, considering factories have been shut, so either they don’t actually have the watches yet or they’ve been hiding them away to bump up prices...

Could be some on the waiting list are pulling out ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Could be some on the waiting list are pulling out ?

I thought that.....but I got offered 3 watches.....then did a google search and there are dozens of such cases.

Thing is, why would you pull out of a waiting list, not knowing where you are in the queue...surely you’d just say no to the watch when they rang you up to let you know you were next in line? 

Something doesn’t stack up...especially when they ask you to pay for the watch via a 3rd party website so won’t be covered on your credit card insurance.

Needless to say i smell fish and declined their offer.

Edited by WickerBill

5 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

Something doesn’t stack up...especially when they ask you to pay for the watch via a 3rd party website so won’t be covered on your credit card insurance.

I wasn't aware of that, and would certainly avoid. I don't have a credit card, so I'm probably better protected. :laughing2dw: (from myself)

Edited by WRENCH
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I wasn't aware of that, and would certainly avoid. I don't have a credit card, so I'm probably better protected. :laughing2dw: (from myself)

Yeh...especially when they require you to pay in full upfront but can’t collect your watch until the stores re open....

...it will be interesting to ‘watch’ because i suspect 3 things.

1) they have been hoarding watches to bump up prices....at which point when the store reopens everyone will get their watches but questions will be asked 

2) stores will reopen and none of only some of the watches actually exist meaning lots of unhappy customers 

3) they have a cash flow problem...need all these advanced payments And people could end up losing out big time!

suppose we will find out in a few weeks 

of course for legal reasons all these are just an opinion and no way based on information or fact....usual T&Cs apply! 

Edited by WickerBill

I’m reluctant to part with money on the promise of anything after the lockdown ends,some of these companies might not survive .

Exactly this. To be fair, they are a trusted worldwide company who’s reputation is pretty strong....but there have been plenty of companies like that, which have gone bump in the past. 

Actually if anything it’s probably a good chance to turn to the little people and support your local jewellers who are still selling online with stock that you can actually have in the post 

• Like 1

Yes I have had a few emails from likes of Goldsmiths etc. I also noticed a few pieces I was viewing on ebay hadn't had any bids which I would say is very  unusual, they were the sort of thing that you would shift easily in normal circumstances. People have bills to pay and you can understand the sellers getting desperate to flog off a few from their collection. 

Yup. It’s definitely a buyers market right now. Still holding out though, I’m looking at another omega or a navitimer but I also know they’re usually one of the first luxury brands to be discounted so will hold out a little while yet to see how this all goes. 

Only one wrist and 4 watches already lol

Many ADs were caught up in a targets-to-secure-discount-from-suppliers bubble and simply have too much stock and stock coming in that they can't sell.

Call me a cynic, but if a company rings up out of the blue and asks you to pay through a third party does this not suggest some kind of fraud? I can imagine all of these fraudsters are hacking any websites going at the minute given companies have skeleton teams in operation. Be wary, if they ring out the blue, question it. And don’t forget it is extremely easy to call someone and make it look like you’re calling from a different number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, krissy1301 said:

Call me a cynic, but if a company rings up out of the blue and asks you to pay through a third party does this not suggest some kind of fraud? I can imagine all of these fraudsters are hacking any websites going at the minute given companies have skeleton teams in operation. Be wary, if they ring out the blue, question it. And don’t forget it is extremely easy to call someone and make it look like you’re calling from a different number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my first thought but it’s genuinely WOS ringing around from branches all over the U.K. there’s lots of people taking them up on their offer, With payments going out and showing up on statements having gone into the WOS account....and it seems from what I’ve seen purely on Rolex pieces. 

Now given Rolex shut their factories and stopped shipping WOS either don’t have stock and are selling you a lie, have stock they have been holding back to inflate demand/ prices or Rolex we’re holding back stock and have flooded the market a bit

thing is pieces that were on 2-3 year waiting lists have suddenly come available for a lot of people..seems strange. its interesting what ever the scenario

Edited by WickerBill

A certain well known pre-owned dealer seems to be offering a pawn-broker type service now where you can sell him your watch for three months and buy it back less commission - at first I thought he was taking advantage but on reflection I think it is not a bad idea for someone who is temporarily laid off

2 hours ago, Rotundus said:

Payment in bitcoin or canned tomatoes preferred one assumes ! 

That's sooooo 2019.  Toilet rolls, bags of flour and yeast are the currencies du jour.  When the economy collapses completely we will be back to bartering for everything, so one Sea-dweller = 1packet of yeast or 28 toilet rolls (the toilet roll exchange rate has slumped now that everyone has 10 years worth stockpiled). :laugh::laugh:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Where are my offers then? NOTHING, not a dicky bird... 

Surely I should be hearing from Lorus soon. That's about my mark at the moment.:laugh:

Well, I'll ride this out, and worry about paying full price if and when the time and opportunity is favourable. I've deleted/blocked all temptations. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yet for used watches auction prices remain high.  For those that want to buy right now there is not too much choice.  1,600 registered buyers tuned in for Fellows online sale this week, a new record for them, and may watches went for silly money.  Would you pay £13k for a Rolex Day Date, with no warranty and not even have had the chance to see the watch before the sale?  I wouldn't.  Sothebys have also broken their house record for the most expensive watch they have sold twice this month.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Yet for used watches auction prices remain high.  For those that want to buy right now there is not too much choice.  1,600 registered buyers tuned in for Fellows online sale this week, a new record for them, and may watches went for silly money.  Would you pay £13k for a Rolex Day Date, with no warranty and not even have had the chance to see the watch before the sale?  I wouldn't.  Sothebys have also broken their house record for the most expensive watch they have sold twice this month.  

Ouch! Interesting

tbh watch the watchbox trading desk segment they seem to be shifting pieces easily enough too...there was a slowdown for a couple of weeks while people got nervous but it’s back to almost normal now.

Maybe it’s a case of if the price is right, people are willing to pay it, and it may eventually adjust the RRP of some brands post covid? ..you can get some great deals pre owned Pieces that are virtually unworn if you have the capital at the moment. 

im with you though, Ive seen some really tempting pre owned pieces out there (and still have them bookmarked) but would never buy without inspecting first.

Oh and just be glad COYS of Kensington haven’t sold you any watches...they went into administration this week (for the second time after the fraud thing back in 2007) and are holding money for cars that can’t be transferred to their new owners and the previous owners can’t get hold of their cash OR their old car.....a few grand for a watch is nothing in comparison to those losses! 

• Like 1

One of these came through in the email sales, which I like,

Alsta-Nautoscaph-Superautomatic-1970-Re-

£794.00

(FREE UK Delivery) 

RRP £795.00

Save: £1.00

12 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

Thanks! You want it? :-p

Selling not buyig at moment mate.

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

One of these came through in the email sales, which I like,

Alsta-Nautoscaph-Superautomatic-1970-Re-

£794.00

(FREE UK Delivery) 

RRP £795.00

Save: £1.00

tenor.gif?itemid=7227399

• Haha 1

Nice bargain there a whopping 0.0013% discount! 

4 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Sounds like a bargain, sure il buy the Steinhart (edited for what you head is really saying :-p)

tenor.gif?itemid=7227399

• Like 1