• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Saturday's Smoothies

Jet Jetski

I think this is going to scrub up.  As seen on TV.

oyster1.thumb.jpg.bdc8d761f7e3f6058f1d724be7c05c0e.jpg

oyster3.thumb.jpg.11416c5e4512548d8394b9fde06500d0.jpg

OK, so it's not the Ronco Oyster, it is the Rolco Oyster.  You heard it here first.  Right at the bottom lol - I got my money's worth since the seller did not charge me an extra five bob for the luminous dial.

Image may contain: text

Interestingly it has a plain and unsigned Aegler movement - no perlage and only rudimentary striping - though I have come across Rolco signed movements of this same basic, though still 'Rolex 700' pattern, type - normally just on the ratchet wheel.  Signed bridges only started appearing on Rolex watches about 1926 / 27 (not sure if that coincided with the launch of the Oyster) so not surprising that they don't prevail around this time (1928-29) on Wilsdorf's cheaper brands.

Interestingly, the only other example of an unsigned '700' in a "Rolex Watch Company but not Rolex" watch, that I have found, was in a watch issued to the Indian Army in 1939 - by that time 'Rolco' had been dropped completely in favour of the Oyster Watch Company of course.  Some Lipton branded 'not Rolex' watches went to Canada with unsigned movements, but these had the FHF movement that was similar in quality - according to David Boettcher - to the standard Aegler movement residing in my Rolco Oyster (ie not primped for a proper Rolex watch) .  I suppose it was the Tudor of its day.

Mine also still has the dust cover, which I did not know existed (I'm not an expert) and here is a picture of another I found on the internet (although I think our friend below may be a mule ...):

rolexnot.thumb.jpg.40af92a653486eb465a4a9e144af5c62.jpg

HAGD

JJ

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Getting the SMP out again today and a little more info about this particular model. This is the Omega Seamaster 2231.80. It's full size, with titanium case, bezel and 'Bond' style bracelet. Calibre is the 1120 (a modified ETA 2892-A2) self winding chronometer with a rhodium plated finish and 44 hour reserve. It has a domed sapphire crystal with AR coating, and the sword hands are also rhodium plated. The brushed titanium bezel insert has blue enamelled markers. There is a HEV at the 10 position. Luminova to dial markers and hands. Case dia. 41mm, 45mm (inc. crown) and 12mm deep. The titanium models were made in two versions, the more common black dial, and the scarcer electric blue. I believe the blue dialled ones started to appear in 1999. The serial number on this watch dates it to between 1999-2000. A lot of collectors are of the opinion that this is the watch Omega should've never discontinued.

Omega SMP.  Omega

Omega SMP.  Omega SMP.

Omega.  Omega SMP clasp.

Omega SMP. Lume   Name:  1120b.jpg Views: 15678 Size:  104.4 KB

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Morning,

Today it’s this 34mm “cross-dial” UMF from these good ol’ funsters of the GDR.

Initially bought as a potential movement donor for a similar-but-different (and better) one with balance issues, but when it arrived I had second thoughts about cannibalising it and treated it to a service and a new crystal instead. The scratch on the dial I can live with.

It runs on a UMF 23, a short-lived (1961 – 1963) movement before being superseded by the easier (and cheaper) to manufacture UMF 24 series. My friendly watchmaker managed to find an old part in his box of bits which fixed the problem with my earlier one, so happy days!

Regards.

UMF G.p. 2019 6 v.2.jpg

UMF G.p. UMF 23 2019 2 v.2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Boots said:

I see @Jet Jetski gave us the Rolco Oyster, here is another take on the theme. This from 1966.

large._T6A6337.JPG.cc65d98818130dec74d4075d05204afa.JPG

I will be on the lookout - next year probably - for a vintage datejust - obviously I am on the lookout now ha ha ha but I shall restrain myself until next year - I have a borgel cased trench watch coming in - in bits (remains to be seen if its primitive shock resistance worked) - that needs to be fixed up first, but a datejust would kind of round off my 'technology corner' of early expressions of screw crowns, screw backs, date windows, and shock protection - it's the watch that brought them all together.

• Like 6