• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see the humble Vostok appears to be overlooked.

Arrived today,can’t complain for £50.00  

Always been a bog standard Seiko 5 for me. Slim and unobtrusive, and will withstand up to 20 years of extreme abuse.  

Posted Images

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 18:09, Roger the Dodger said:

This is the correct answer.

FF9E93F4-C0B3-4774-AE99-2BB04AF1EC60.thumb.jpeg.a0b136265a4c2c5065f5397ec953a863.jpeg

Don't like the term but this is my latest "beater" and apparently as tough as G-Shock. I've had a few and just never seem to get on with them so have given up trying to like em!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

FF9E93F4-C0B3-4774-AE99-2BB04AF1EC60.thumb.jpeg.a0b136265a4c2c5065f5397ec953a863.jpeg

Don't like the term but this is my latest "beater" and apparently as tough as G-Shock. I've had a few and just never seem to get on with them so have given up trying to like em!

What are they like to set up etc. I always have to revert to YouTube for some of my Casios when it comes to BST etc.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

What are they like to set up etc. I always have to revert to YouTube for some of my Casios when it comes to BST etc.

Pretty straight forward to be honest. Once you suss the buttons you’re away. Easier than an Areospace that’s for sure!

• Thanks 1

I always considered my old omega seamaster pre-bond a beater, it took an amazing amount of abuse and was bulletproof.    (I bought it secondhand for £300 and moved it on for a little more after 15 years or so of abuse.)   I missed it so much I bought another seamaster which is a semibeater... I don't worry about it too much but I wouldn't wear it in the gym and the clasp scratches so easily I am not sure it is made of the same stuff as the first one.   Talking of gym I saw a guy in the gym with an AP on, it looked battered...another guy trains in a hulk which is a bit tatty too.   This is a bit extreme in my opinion...its not necessary to unduly punish an expensive watch IMO

Seiko 5 seems a good suggestion, they are workhorses, personally I only consider a beater a beater if you can go diving in it... therefore maybe a certina DS action or something like that might be a good shout. 

• Like 1

I never really 'got' the idea of having a specific 'beater' watch, if I buy a watch it's because I like it and I want to keep it as nice as possible. Don't get me wrong if it's a dive watch I'll go swimming with it (both my seiko monster and Breitling SOH have been used as holiday watches) but if I'm going to be doing something where it might get damaged it is taken off and put somewhere safe although 9/10 i forget and realise I'm wearing one of my babies as I'm taking crap out of the car at the tip or whatever.

I do wear a fitness band on my right wrist so I guess that's pretty much my 'beater' as it's nominally 'a watch'.

On 25/04/2020 at 17:31, Bonzodog said:

No advice sought,just seeing what other members consider a beater.

Can’t stand the awful things

Late to the proceedings but I totally  regarding  the G-shocks, while no doubt worthy watches but  are imo, really fugly,even worse then the 200m Monster with it`s hideous crown guard  :crazy5vh: :tongue:

I also agree about the Divex or Apeks, excellent watches & well worth the money...

apeKS AP0406, 500m,SEIKO-Epson cal.VX42E 

Apeks-500m-a.thumb.gif.49811e183b02cf070e2d1e4b51588925.gif

apeKS AP040s-5, 1000m, SEIKO-Epson cal.VX42E 

Apeks-1000m-4.thumb.gif.2b7cf6fe8752fbf453781f9bbdfa56cc.gif

:thumbs_up:

• Like 1
On 25/04/2020 at 18:22, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Any Casio, absolutely any of their offerings....but...

I'll throw this one in the mix, can't grumble at £10.00 - £15.00

61BYnJB-a1L._AC_UY780_.jpg

Thats what I use. £15 from Argos, wears smaller than the dimensions suggest, at that price really doesn't matter what happens to it!

Cheers

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Raymond Spanks said:

at that price really doesn't matter what happens to it!

Exactly, but to be honest with you as much I have a load of watches to choose from, it is really quite surprising of often I wear this.

I bought it as a holiday 'pool beater' at £9.99 you just wouldn't give a damn what happens to it, but if it did get damaged/lost/stolen I would buy another one without hesitation. It is the UNBEATABLE BEATER! 

I see you are a New Member...Welcome to the best watch forum on the internet! (in my opinion :biggrin:) Enjoy!

I still enjoy my Seiko, I bought it purely as my every day watch and it accompanies me almost everywhere- welding, painting, brick laying (new talent since lockdown :laugh:), swimming, the list goes on.  It cost £150 in a sale but I couldn't be happier with it, the crystal has a fair amount of weld/grinding splatter you can feel with your nail but it adds to the character for me.  I completely understand the Casio angle, if I didn't like the Seiko so much I'd probably go down that route.

20190829-100108.jpg

Edited by TDC
Spelling