• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sunday Old Watch

Morning,

It’ll be the turn of this 1950s Ankra running on its 17j Durowe 1258.

Made in Germany but with so many “Ankra” brands, it’s difficult to determine who made this, or indeed any, particular example, although one possibility here is Max Alex of Cottbus who registered his brand in 1935 and whose “A” of Ankra uses an identical typeface to mine.

Inconclusive, as I can find nothing much on Max Alex apart from his having been the owner of the Neumarkt workshop premises in Cottbus and whose father, Georg Alex, was a watchmaker and jeweller before him. In a later (1939) registration, Max Alex is linked with Ankra eV, a sales and guarantee association of German watchmakers, bringing us to Urofa/Uhrenrohwerkefabrik Glashütte AG whose history is another story altogether.

Missing its sweep seconds hand and, with a broken pinion, I’m afraid there’s little chance of it getting one any time soon.

Regards.

Ankra Sport v.2.jpg

Ankra Sport Durowe 1258 v.2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

According to the Soviet standards agency (ГОСТ) the specification for this movement was -10 / +5, and this is a MK3 around 1964 I think, the gold colour of the movement denoting it's precision nature, for this 3rd run of watches, although earlier marques were silver. Nonetheless,  the limits of assigning immutable dates, designs and types to Soviet watches is also acknowledged in this article, from where I lifted my info.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/three-generations-vostok-precision-740114.html

IMG_20200425_220836133(1)(1).thumb.jpg.94dad8801f837e13d83d82c4a16f78fe.jpg

IMG_20200425_215603578(1)(1).thumb.jpg.1bb2b9dd4ba9e3ebdb7eb9542a47d2b8.jpg

I am assured they can be regulated to chronometer spec, but mine, having allegedly been serviced by the seller, gains about 20 minutes per day.

Unlike yesterday's Vostok ruffian that I hardly ever need to set.

I may get the de-magnetiser out.

HAGD

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

This again.

This is one of my 'grail' watches, it's a stunner, thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

large.IMG_20200426_084716771.jpg.370e6a168a9b6cc657ce5f7bf0d41167.jpg

A special watch, and a special badge, I am also a fan of Mulligan and O'Hare...

My Rose has left me,

I'm in a mood.

She's gone to Kenya,

with the bloke from Allied Carpets.

Oh, Rose how we loved you....

But where are you now?

Alone with your salesman,

you adulterous cow.

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Is it me, or does that hair spring look "coiled". That would give cause for such a dramatic gain.

I thought that but I think it's just the Breguet overcoil and the fact that the spring is moving - I am pretty sure it did not gain 20 minutes per day when I got it, cause I always let it run about 12 hrs before i give my feedback to eBay, but I have changed the back for a display back as you can see, and wonder now if that was magnetised - since I de-magnetised the watch about an hour ago I have not noticed it gaining, and at 20 mins per day I would be seeing nearly 1 minute per hour, so that would be easy to spot quite quickly - nearly a second per minute.

Changed into this meanwhile, it's in the sales corner but I am a bit undecided now.  It's quite hard to beat for what it is.  UT 6428.

IMG_20200426_111228415(1).thumb.jpg.586c3ac9a754bc918d04708e2f90d830.jpg

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I thought that but I think it's just the Breguet overcoil and the fact that the spring is moving - I am pretty sure it did not gain 20 minutes per day when I got it, cause I always let it run about 12 hrs before i give my feedback to eBay, but I have changed the back for a display back as you can see, and wonder now if that was magnetised - since I de-magnetised the watch about an hour ago I have not noticed it gaining, and at 20 mins per day I would be seeing nearly 1 minute per hour, so that would be easy to spot quite quickly - nearly a second per minute.

Try running it with the back off.

• Like 1

Been wearing this since Thursday.

I went to my Dad's funeral down in County Durham, 13 or so hours driving (round trip) which I will never do again. I wore my trusty birth watch (Sept. 1967), a Seiko 5 DX 6106-8000, and I wore my Dad's cufflinks that he bought when he left the Navy in the late 1950's.

Not looking for sympathy guys as I am sure many on this site have had to deal with the Coronavirus in one form or another.

Stay safe guys!

887d7674a51d83b47b29debccbd705fc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

ORATOR, Landeron cal.248 17 Jewels 

&

NEWMARK (made by Louis Newmark, Croydon England (un-jeweled pin-pallet movement).

2050332100_Orator--NewmarkDSC_0276.gif.2fb5494a57c594c4e5001ce79fb5c920.gif

As you can see one was set to Belgium time when this photo was taken just in case one of my relatives in Poperinge decided to ring me up*

* Well that`s my excuse & I`m sticking with it :tongue:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sabailand said:

I thought you`d stopped wearing watches Roger, that didnt last long did it!:biggrin:

About a year so far, but this flippin' lockdown has made me look for things to do...one day, I opened the safe again and noticed them....:laughing2dw:...I'm still not actually wearing any, though...just looking.

31 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

About a year so far, but this flippin' lockdown has made me look for things to do...one day, I opened the safe again and noticed them....:laughing2dw:...I'm still not actually wearing any, though...just looking.

Go on Roger take the next step, you can do it,  just imagine actually picking one up, enjoying the weight and how it feels as you wrap it around your wrist, staring at its form on your body, and the satisfying click of the bracelet as it snaps shut..... as you come down in orgasmic relief.(mods feel free to move this post:laugh:)

11 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Go on Roger take the next step, you can do it,  just imagine actually picking one up, enjoying the weight and how it feels as you wrap it around your wrist, staring at its form on your body, and the satisfying click of the bracelet as it snaps shut..... as you come down in orgasmic relief.(mods feel free to move this post:laugh:)

You pervert!   :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1