• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
COYF

Seiko... discuss

I've been a bit of a watch snob most my life, always leaning towards the Rolex, Breitling, Tag type brands and not really interested in any others.  After reading various posts on this forum my eyes have been opened to a lot of brands that I had never previously thought to buy.

I'm now fancying a Seiko SSE025 Astron or maybe just the SKX007 (very different from each other I know).  I'm interested in peoples feedback on Seiko, the previously mention models in particular but just the brand as a whole having never really looked at them before.

For what it is worth I own 6 Seikos, none similar to the ones you mention and 3 costing around £60 others a fair bit more but max £300. Without exception all are excellent time keepers, are standing the test of time, two are Automatics both start with the mildest of movement.  I is a solar and is happy in the dark for at least 4 months. 

I think most members on here either own or have owned a Seiko at some point. That are fantastic watches.

My SKX007 

Seiko 007 mod

My Cocktail Time

Seiko Presage Cocktail Time

Both brilliant watches.

• Like 4

I’ve got 2 Seikos, £130ish and £350ish, both are really well built, keep time to within seconds a month and always get good comments from friends, family and colleagues. 

The lume is excellent on both, the bezels and crowns feel sturdy, and overall they inspire confidence that they’re well built, and will last a lifetime... and more. 
My two:

IMG_098849783948092_58358b90db_b.jpg

• Like 3

I suppose I’m still a bit of a watch snob with Seiko...,I’ve owned loads over the years but always as a daily driver/ beater watch. 

They produce fantastic pieces....problem is for me when they get more than £600 there’s a lot of competition from other brands like Longines, Oris....at which point they tick more boxes for me

1 hour ago, COYF said:

I've been a bit of a watch snob most my life, always leaning towards the Rolex, Breitling, Tag type brands and not really interested in any others.  After reading various posts on this forum my eyes have been opened to a lot of brands that I had never previously thought to buy.

I'm now fancying a Seiko SSE025 Astron or maybe just the SKX007 (very different from each other I know).  I'm interested in peoples feedback on Seiko, the previously mention models in particular but just the brand as a whole having never really looked at them before.

I'm looking at the SKX007 myself as for the money they look good and are easy to read. Is the username an acronym by the way!? :whistling:

Seiko's latest models have been given a poor reception with their new business/ marketing direction. They are getting away from the cheaper end and trying to up scale / price themselves. This is a bold move imo. j

Some of the odd ball Seikos are great. Cheap to service, often cheap to pick up and lots of variations. King Seiko represent very good value, as do some of the Grand Seiko range. Or a Vanac, or a SARB, or a SARX... Loads of great Seikos out there.

A n unusual '5'

43736952164_6e26628b9b_c.jpg

Lord Matic

48490952401_5f711637f4_c.jpg

And the revered Lord Marvel 36000, a true high beat bargain.

39697076103_1ec649d1d0_c.jpg

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

I’ve got 2 Seikos, £130ish and £350ish, both are really well built, keep time to within seconds a month and always get good comments from friends, family and colleagues. 

The lume is excellent on both, the bezels and crowns feel sturdy, and overall they inspire confidence that they’re well built, and will last a lifetime... and more. 
My two:

IMG_098849783948092_58358b90db_b.jpg

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky...........twice

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

The bracelet on my Padi fell apart and timekeeping is poor, the bezel has all but seized up and the service from the AD wasn’t that great either. I had a Monster but the fit, finish and timekeeping on it wasn’t good, the bracelet was tacky and the bezel looked like it had been finished with 40 grit emery paper.

To the OP I suggest you find a local AD and have a really good look at those you are thinking about buying. 

No disrespect to the Seiko fanboys but Rolex/Omegas/Brightblings and so on are are a world apart and some from the lower end Seikos.

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 2

Well this is a first, for me. Most watch snobs I have come across turn their noses up at Tag.

Anyway, Seiko is a great brand with a longer heritage than Rolex. And unlike Breitling and Tag, all Seikos have in-house movements. Seiko were pioneers in dive watches (look up why it is that Seiko dive watches don't need Helium escape valves) and in auto winding technologies (look into their 'magic lever').

They were the first to bring a quartz watch to market and during the quartz revolution in the 70s and 80s they were toe to toe with Rolex, Omega, Girard Perregaux and others in developing new approaches to high accuracy timepieces, with their Twin Quartz, Twin Mode Quartz, high frequency and thermistor technologies. This ultimately led to their 9F calibre quartz movement which is amongst the best in the world and deserves reading about as a separate exercise.

Most of their watches (especially at the lower end) are not manufactured in Japan, these days, but Seiko is generally one of the most vertically integrated watch brands out there, for a long time producing far more of its own components (such as jewels, screws and hairsprings) than even Rolex (Rolex have upped their game a bit, lately). Seiko ébauches are not as highly regarded as ETA ébauches, but they power a great many models for a great many brands. And let's not forget, movement-wise, that it was because of Seiko's repeated success at the chronometric competitions in Switzerland that the Swiss eventually decided to ban non-Swiss companies from taking part. There is nothing to turn your nose up at, when it comes to Seiko.

Having said that, the only Astron I would get would be the 1969 35SQ. If you want a GPS watch then I assure you that Citizen has far better GPS technology than Seiko. Citizen GPS watches acquire the signal far faster in all conditions and far more reliably indoors. They are also accurate to 5 seconds per month without sync, so they need to auto sync only once per week as opposed to once per day with the Seiko. Seiko's Astron movement has made progress over the years and is now better able to adjust for location than it was, but it's still not up to the standard of Citizen's offering.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, COYF said:

maybe just the SKX007

My first automatic was a Seiko and I've never been without one since. If you decide on a SKX 007, if it bothers you check the bezel alignment. Don't expect perfect timekeeping. I have mine on a "chocolate bar" rubber strap, because the original bracelet, for me, was uncomfortable and poorly made, although you can buy decent aftermarket bracelets. They are durable and cheap enough not to bother too much about if you give it the odd ding or scratch. I've never had one serviced, as they have usually lasted me 10-15 years, and by that time they are fit for the bin.

9 hours ago, r-macus said:

Seiko's latest models have been given a poor reception with their new business/ marketing direction. They are getting away from the cheaper end and trying to up scale / price themselves. This is a bold move imo. j

I agree with this, especially regarding some of the limited edition models, I just don't see the value.

I've owned a frightening amount of Seikos, from the £60 5s to the Marinemaster SBDX001, and I've never been disappointed with any of them, ever. Seiko make superb pieces to suit all pockets, and the quality of even the low end ones boggles the mind. 

I believe they're the world's largest manufacturer of watch movements (all power methods), although correct me if I'm wrong. That certainly does say something if it's true.

Here's what £60 gets you from Seiko...

D5-A4375-F-7-C4-B-4-B27-847-D-0972-F0-AA

3-A2-B5-B30-8-BAA-45-B8-A031-31-C2-FD9-A

Here's what a couple of grand gets you from Seiko...

748-B3-DD9-6-D87-4-B35-BC4-B-B804-F47-B0

06-D16-FD9-CBB7-4-FBA-B253-9-B81-D89-D1-

Both works of art in their own right, and both worth every penny. 

Edited by Filterlab
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Filterlab said:

Here's what a couple of grand gets you from Seiko...

748-B3-DD9-6-D87-4-B35-BC4-B-B804-F47-B0

06-D16-FD9-CBB7-4-FBA-B253-9-B81-D89-D1-

Both works of art in their own right, and both worth every penny. 

Love that particular model of MM...if I was ever tempted to buy another watch, I'd seriously be considering one. :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the money, I think an automatic Seiko 5 is hard to beat. Here's my green dial with a brown strap.

mb04u32.jpg

• Like 5

I’ve had a few seiko over the years and can’t really fault any of them. All of them have had good time keeping and been reasonably well built and good value for money at their price point.

I can’t really comment on the higher value models as I’ve not had any of them. Some of that is probably because I’ve previously not been that aware of the brands more expensive offerings; and at the higher price brackets I’ve leaned more towards Omega.

My titanium kinetic SQ50 was used a lot for everything and has taken a fair old beating over the years and still ticks on. The bracelet is a little stretched and rattles, but for a 30 odd year old workhorse I can’t complain. The full lume  dial still lights up a room.

image.thumb.jpg.11622b89194b4d92b260abfde4f4ba19.jpg

The auto Landshark I bought on here. The only thing I find irritating is the internal bezel crown moves too easily on its own. Time keeping is great, as is fit and finish, at the price point. It’s picked up a few marks, but is pretty robust and again lume is good.

large.2805F0A1-3A98-4DF1-82BF-1D9305E45A70.jpeg.7d350c29b1a3325125daa8d69b326152.jpeg

The MDE divers watch I own also uses a seiko quartz movement I believe, and I can’t fault the time keeping on that either. large.image.jpeg.1b4e5b7de9d0cf419acb611c05dd323a.jpeg

Across these 3 watches there’s 3 different movement types and watch styles, which illustrates the brands flexibility I guess.

I wouldn’t compare any of the above to Omega, Rolex etc in terms of fit, finish and build quality as they’re not from the same price bracket, but I can see the appeal of seiko’s higher end stuff. I’d need to compare them in my hands to see if they would entice me to spend several thousands of pounds on them though.

• Like 2

I'm falling more and more in love with Seiko as a brand - impeccable timekeeping and quality at their respective price points.

Here's the three I've got currently - and I'm getting desperately tempted by grand seiko and some Japan domestic variants too!

20200501_113521.jpg

• Like 2

I had a few Seiko 007 watches.  The bracelet is terrible as are all lower priced Seiko watches feels just awful.  The movement doesn’t hack and many used to buy them because they were cheap (about £100) and easy to mod.  Since Seiko stopped producing them they have apparently become “Iconic”. The new Seiko 5 can be had for less than a 007 and have a better movement in them.

Have a look at the Presage line up and also the Seiko samurai.  A very good alternative to Seiko is Orient.  I found their sports watches better quality and cheaper than Seiko.

• Like 1

This was £80 in a sale, 100m water, throwaway bracelet, hacks, and handwinds. Probably better than a 007.

large.IMG_20200419_094049577.jpg.1a40c9f595ed94fee6680ad776938f39.jpg

• Like 4

I sold them for many years and rarely had them returned or any problems.   It wasn't unusual to find us servicing watches that were 50+ years old and often they had little to no intervention. 

My advice is probably stick with something on leather... The bracelet quality won't match up to Breitling... More along the lines of early Rolex (a bit rattling and lightweight) 

20190921_170215

That's my cocktail time with power reserve.   Its a fabulous watch for the money... Was a bit bigger and thicker than I expected but still wears pretty well... Has a cool deployant buckle and pointer date at centre.  The glass back shows a pretty ordinary looking movement. 

This is one of my cheaper watches but I feel every collection needs a representative from the brand.   They have made quite a contribution. 

• Like 2

I've got 3 and they are all great watches. For a while I considered this my best looking watch....

large.20171023_160904.jpg.e9a14dd72982b84078ba0267fa4b6d99.jpg

• Like 3

Every collection should have at least one, here are mine:

large.P7150043s.jpg.10b9a9dc5389cd93f7931bab87b69930.jpglarge.P2260135s.jpg.1cf4434000e555a6e96505400cfaf9a9.jpglarge.P8130064s.jpg.2dc037771642aa17a6215dd4602c4858.jpglarge.P8130070s.jpg.ac175d7901ae796505cac4a29ded91a5.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, andyclient said:

Everyone needs at least one Seiko in their collection maybe two :biggrin:

Or maybe even more. :whistle:  I think one can deduce I like Seiko. :laughing2dw:

Obviously they are not in the same league as Rolex etc, but I feel you get some cracking watches at affordable prices. The only thing that has annoyed me with Seiko is their pin and collar system on the bracelets, can be a bit fiddly at times and you have to be very careful with the collar or it'll go missing.:oops::laughing2dw:

• Like 5