• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
gibbs

Newbie needs advice about Vostok Komandirskie

I`ve just got bought my first Vostok, an Amphibia which I`ve kept on its original metal bracelet and I love it .But I was wondering how good are Komandirskies.I like Nato straps on watches ,the thinner  Komandirskie would seem to suit these better (especially as I have small wrists\).But what I need to know is how a Komandirskie would put up with frequent hand-washing with hot water and soap in these difficult times. I am still working as a Housing Support Worker with the elderly and currently wear a Casio Tough Solar , which puts up well with this, but I feel everybody needs cheering up these days and maybe a cheeky , quirky Komandirskie (or two!) could be the way to go..

Take care and stay safe everybody

Kenny

Also any pics of your Komandirskies would be appreciated 

Hi Kenny,

The simple answer is that the Komandirskie is an inferior watch to the Amphibia. If we're talking about the older style models (not the newer Amphibia cased versions from Meranom etc) then water resistance is far lower and the cases are chrome or titanium nitride coated brass (which will wear off over time) rather than the stainless steel cases on the Amphibias. The only thing better about them is the price! They're not even that much thinner (assuming we're comparing automatic Amphibias with automatic Komandirskies - obviously a manual winding Komandirskie will be much thinner due to the lack of rotor).

Saying that, I own loads of the bloody things! Here's some of mine. I do have many more....

DSC-0519-zps4504965d.jpg

Edited by Lampoc
  • Like 1

Fantastic collection.....but I wouldn`t want to have to keep them all wound up!...I appreciate you getting back to me so soon , the one that caught my is the bottom left watch..can you tell me more about that one?,I love the look of it.

Regards

Kenny.

Morning Kenny. I've had a few of the older Komandirskie, and they have stood up well. As said the plating/coating won't last long, but the rest has been durable. I recently got one of the newish ones,

large.IMG_20200320_105950434_HDR.jpg.3f997f20edd0fd525d85620c86a391cc.jpg

From here,

https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie-classic/28/vostok-watch-komandirskie-280683.html

Much better in my opinion. Cost including post was around £52. I think they had an offer on.

2 hours ago, gibbs said:

Also any pics of your Komandirskies would be appreciated 

1 hour ago, gibbs said:

Fantastic collection.....but I wouldn`t want to have to keep them all wound up!...I appreciate you getting back to me so soon , the one that caught my is the bottom left watch..can you tell me more about that one?,I love the look of it.

Regards

Kenny.

The bottom left one is an early 90s titanium nitride plated manual wind Komandirskie. I believe the crest on it is from the Municipal Moscow Militia - it's a pretty rare one. I've found titanium nitride to be far more resistant to wear and corrosion than the chrome plated watches. There's also the added advantage that when the coating does wear it doesn't show up the brass underneath as much.

On a personal note, I've always been a far bigger fan of the 80s Soviet era Komandirskies - I've generally found them to be of superior quality to later models, plus it's just, in my opinion anyway, the golden era of Russian watches!

Edited by Lampoc

Thanks for all the info Lampoc, especially on that new style Komandirskie......this could be the start of an expensive hobby!....and I really love the thought that you are wearing a piece of history on your wrist with the likes of that sweet Militia watch.

Many thanks

Kenny 

On 02/05/2020 at 12:03, WRENCH said:

Morning Kenny. I've had a few of the older Komandirskie, and they have stood up well. As said the plating/coating won't last long, but the rest has been durable. I recently got one of the newish ones,

large.IMG_20200320_105950434_HDR.jpg.3f997f20edd0fd525d85620c86a391cc.jpg

From here,

https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie-classic/28/vostok-watch-komandirskie-280683.html

Much better in my opinion. Cost including post was around £52. I think they had an offer on.

Sorry Wrench I should have thanked you for that pic of the new style Komandirskie..it has sort of a "steam-punk" look to , as though Vostok had melted down a few old T-72 battle tanks , to make watches...really cool!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bowie..I really like the middle one with the bezel that looks like a gear cog!..I have now joined the Komandirskie club with this submarine themed one (To go with my Amphibia) and I also really  your submarine Komandirskie.

Take care and stay safe

Kenny

49871137272_9acaa3a90a.jpgIMG_1509 by kenny burns, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/05/2020 at 17:16, gibbs said:

Sorry Wrench I should have thanked you for that pic of the new style Komandirskie..it has sort of a "steam-punk" look to , as though Vostok had melted down a few old T-72 battle tanks , to make watches...really cool!

It's now on a "subtle" strap, as the metalwork on the Zulu strap, is too much for me.

• Haha 1