• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Good Afternoon,

I am rapidly approaching my 50th Birthday and despite always wanting an Omega Speedmaster, in all honesty cannot justify the price tag.

My wife is keen to buy me a nice watch which is high quality, good looking, built to last and a respectable make for our budget of £1,200.

I do like the look of the Longines Hydro Conquest Automatic and would be very grateful for any advice on:

(a) I can see the watch on various websites, but there appears to be two different model numbers for the 41mm Blue Dial version.  (L37424966 and L37814966) and apart from the numbering on the dial, I cannot see any difference apart from the £280 difference.  Is one an updated model?

(b) Are there any other watched of a similar quality and price which you would recommend I look at prior to purchase?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope that you are all keeping well during this difficult period.

Gary

• Like 2
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you all for your considered and valuable advice.  I eventually plumped for the Oris Aquis Lake Baikal Limited Edition, which I bought from Fraser Hart in a Plymouth for 20% less than the £1850 l

longines are great and super value for money.

£200 from eBay. its a big birthday, Gary.  Get two watches.  That’s how it starts btw I had mine serviced by longine and it came back looking like new   

I have the older version, and yes the newer updated model has been available for a while now. It has a ceramic bezel, rather than metal and a tidied up end link design. On the previous model it was polished as opposed to indented/ contoured on the new one.

The watch has good wrist presence and for a big birthday is a good choice. 

Personally I think it's a good facelift. They have also released a new green version as well which looks quite good still at £1230 or so.

https://www.longines.com/watches/hydroconquest/l3-781-4-06-6 

First pic is of mine and you can see the end link difference mine is polished where the strap meets the watch itself and the newer ceramic bezel is much more pleasant on the eye.

49777542942_70da50216f_w.jpg

hydroconquest-L3.781.4.06.6-350x720.png 

• Like 1

If you want to go pre owned you’re in the ballpark for a Speedmaster Automatic (rather than the full sized Moonwatch). If not then the Longines is a fine watch. Other brands to look at are Oris, Tag, Sinn or Tudor and Breitling if going pre owned. 

• Like 1

The more expensive variant was introduced in 2018 and has a ceramic bezel and sleeker styling (in my opinion)

Nothing wrong with the older model both fine watches and good value for money.

The black one looks superb, the blue one looks OK - haven't seen the grey one yet but looks interesting.

My advice as always is make sure you buy on a bracelet as it is easy to put a strap on if you fancy a change but very expensive if you want to buy a Longines bracelet!

Yes there are other watches of similar quality but I am not going to make any recommendations because I think the Longines with a black dial on a bracelet is perfect.

• Like 2

I’ve not had a longines but they look well made and good value and you should be able to get one for less than your budget. 

As has been said if you’re open to pre-owned it opens up your choices brand/model wise. That said there’s nothing I dislike about the Longines. Good luck with the purchase :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Many thanks for all of your very helpful replies.  As a Military Officer I like to make evidence based judgements and it looks like my research is supported by the positive comments above.

As soon as we come out of lockdown, I'll visit Fraser Hart or Goldsmiths to try the 41mm Blue Face, Ceramic Dial out on my wrist.

Are there any specific online dealers recommended or should I stick to the big companies?

• Like 1

I think the new Hydroconquest is a fantastic watch. The grey model looks fantastic in the flesh. I have seen this watch so many times and tried it on a few occasions and always come away impressed. Not the best of times to be an expat abroad post Brexit, so it will have to wait until better times. 

• Like 1

I have a grey hydroconquest on the rubber strap 41mm. It’s perfect balance wise, quality for the price is top notch, ceramic bezel is great and the L888 movement is a nice piece of work, it’s not just a standard off the shelf ETA and has a great 65 hour power reserve. 

I have the blue dial on the conquest watch too. It’s really nice, but I prefer the grey dial...especially with the grey rubber strap. Not seen the green In person but if the photos are anything to go by it’s a stunner. 

You’re correct though, wait until lockdown is over and see them/ try them on in person. The newer model is definitely a step up with the ceramic bezel and I’d try the rubber strap as well as steel bracelet on.....you might be suprised! 

For me it’s the perfect entry level luxury watch at a great price point from a brand that has bucket loads of history....not much comes close at its price (admittedly Oris are doing great things at around the same price too)

• Like 1

Oh just to add I found Fraser Hart and Chisholm Hunter great places to go for Longines...They will order in a specific watch you you if they don’t have it in store and they’re also willing to knock 10-15% off without even really badgering them ;-) (and if you’re worried about haggling, they do sales quite often anyway) 

Edited by WickerBill
  • 4 weeks later...

So was pretty much sold on the Longines Hydroconquest and decided that all I had to do was wait until lockdown was over, visit the Jewellers and select the right model.  Then I saw the Oris Aquis on offer for £1200 and really liked the look.

I know that Oris does not have the heritage of Longines but they do look very good watches and I am now confused with a little over a month to run until my Birthday.

For what it’s worth, I own a Hydroconquest but would love an Aquis if one ever came up in my price range. They are truly beautiful watches. Personally, I’d try both on when safe to do so. I’m pretty sure that you would end up favouring one over the other. Both are top notch watches in my opinion.

• Like 1

Hi Sigma,

Similar position, my 50th in a couple of years and a Speedmaster Moonwatch is what I'm hoping for.

With the budget your looking at what about a Sinn 104 St Sa, with the Alcantara Strap, know its not an Omega Chronograph on a steel bracelet but they are pretty cool.

Good luck.

So was pretty much sold on the Longines Hydroconquest and decided that all I had to do was wait until lockdown was over, visit the Jewellers and select the right model.  Then I saw the Oris Aquis on offer for £1200 and really liked the look.
I know that Oris does not have the heritage of Longines but they do look very good watches and I am now confused with a little over a month to run until my Birthday.

The Longines is a lovely watch for the money but it’s let down by the cheap folding clasp on the bracelet. Try and get it on a rubber strap instead if it’s for casual use or leather for a more formal appearance.

If the bracelet has a clasp like below then it’s perfect:

efff9d4b2e9089de812d24ce89881548.jpg

I think Oris has a better bracelet and they do have a lovely red rotor on the rear which is quite unique but it’s been a while since I’ve seen one in person.
10 hours ago, mrzee said:

For what it’s worth, I own a Hydroconquest but would love an Aquis if one ever came up in my price range. They are truly beautiful watches. Personally, I’d try both on when safe to do so. I’m pretty sure that you would end up favouring one over the other. Both are top notch watches in my opinion.

This is almost precisely what I was going to suggest , comparing with an Aquis...... I have tried both on and the Aquis is better built, but the Longines has better styling ( older version ).

For me the new version has too much "desert dial space" , the pips are pushed too far out considering the dial is so empty compared to previous versions... 

:-)

• Like 1

Personally, If there is any chance of stretching the budget then I'd go with your actual 'want', the speedy. The Longines is a compromise, it will always be a compromise and every time you wear it, in the back of your mind it wont be the speedmaster.

Do go and try one on though - I desperately wanted a Monaco for my 50th, but when I tried one on it just didn't feel worth the spend. I still want one but will find one 2nd hand - probably a sub 2k black faced one, instead of the blue or gulf I was looking at.

• Like 1

If we're looking at a cheaper chrono as an alternative to the Speedmaster, you could do a lot worse than a Sinn 103 tbh.  Slightly above your price range, but not much.  Heresy I know, but I think I actually prefer them to a Speedy.

• Like 1