• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
GibLa

Vintage R.T Stone Watch

Hello All 

Long time lurker, glad to be part of the forums. 

I have A Vintage R.T Stone watch and I’m wondering if any of you knowledgable people may be able to help me out. So far I’ve found out nothing about the watchmaker, all I know is that the watch is 10 microns, 25 jewel automatic, possibly 60’s model? 

Would anyone have any information about the watchmaker or any other information about it? 

Many thanks in advance 

Adam :)

gHcFexI.jpgrFxWyMn.jpgzjFuyhA.jpg7XKZxD0.jpgWgnExxU.jpgrxPHYR0.jpg

Hi

I’m fairly confident that R T Stone was the retailer of this watch, not the maker.

The movement appears to be an ETA 245* ? series automatic from the late 1960’s - 70’s.

Hope this helps.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thank you for the information, I tried researching R.T Stone but to no avail and have no information. 

thanks for info about the movement, will do some research into that now :)

• Like 1

The number on the movement looks like 2452 to me. Ranfft puts the ETA 2452 as 1955-1965.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?11&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2452

I'm intrigued by the "Oriosa Swiss" engraved on the inside of the caseback. Oriosa was a trademark used on watches in its own right, for example this one that was for sale on AntiquesAtlas.

1960s_gents_Oriosa_hand_windin_as170a260

That trademark isn't straightforward. It was registered by Frey & Co of Bienne, Switzerland in 1927, but cancelled by them in 1937 and immediately re-registered by Paul Ostersetzer of Vienna. It was renewed by Ostersetzer & Co in 1956 and finally expired in 1976. Although the Oriosa registrations were made by the company based in Vienna, there was an Blum & Ostersetzer SA based in Bienne, which had Paul Ostersetzer as a director. That company continued as Ostersetzer SA in Bienne and later Geneva. It went into liquidation in 1965.

Two possibilities I think. One, that's not the original caseback; two, the watch was made by Ostersetzer, based on one of their Oriosa models, and sold by R. T. Stone, with their name on the dial.

• Like 1

Ostersetzer & Co GmbH is now a company engaged in the wholesale of watches, jewellery, alarm clocks and watch parts; its HQ is at Reinprechtsdorfer Strasse 46, 1050 Vienna. Interestingly from the point of view of this thread, Ostersetzer & Co has two wholly-owned partner companies, Oriosa Trading GmbH and Gloriosa Retail GmbH. Oriosa Trading is now engaged in rental and leasing, and is stated as formerly dealing with the trade and agency  business, and also with the retail trade of jewels, gold, silver goods and watches. Gloriosa Retail is engaged in trade in goods of all kinds, especially jewellery and watches. Both Oriosa Trade and Gloriosa Retail are based at the address of Ostersetzer GmbH in Vienna. Note that the brand name, Gloriosa, also appears on vintage watches, and these were apparently sold by Ostersetzer  on the UK market. 

According to Trademarkia, the actual trade mark, GLORIOSA, was in the hands of the Ostersetzer company from its initial registration in 1954 until 2014, when the brand name became defunct and open to new applicants for registration.

My feeling about the R T Stone connection matches with Alan's view immediately above. I would suggest that Ostersetzer acquired/bought in the watch from a Swiss provider/manufacturer (possibly a Swiss company linked to Ostersetzer) and then sold it wholesale to R T Stone, who then retailed the watch in this country with his own brand name having been added to the dial at some stage. The caseback was branded Oriosa for Ostersetzer - either at source or by Ostersetzer themselves, who then may have added the R T Stone brand name to the dial as part of the wholesale package when selling the watch on to R T Stone (quite possibly the Richard Stone jewellery firm based in Derby, which is still going). The more one studies watches, the more one discovers complex supply chains running from the manufacture of individual components, through the assembly of watches, and then through the wholesale and retail chain, with different companies contributing to the final product over its gamut of manufacture and sale.

• Thanks 1

Hi All 

Thankyou all very much for your time and effort into researching this watch for me, you found a lot more information than I did! 

I did look for a RT Stone in Derby but to no avail, I was looking for watchmakers etc though so will have a little more of a look into Richard Stone jewellers now I know. 

I also found that watch that recently sold on eBay and looked into the Oriosa engraving and saw a few images of watches very similar style to mine. 

learnt a lot about trademarks etc from reading your messages and will do some further research of my own and add anything here that I find. :) 

• Like 2