• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

accuracy checking apps - do you use one?

I quote my 'best' mechanical watch as being accurate to half a second per day, but I always felt it might be better than that on the winder, so I thought I would do a long term test, and I am using a phone app called watch checker.  This app is not for short term tests - like just over one day - because it relies on you tapping the screen at the moment your second hand hits 60/0 on a pre-determined time (which you can easily adjust).  The app compares your screen tap with the internet server time service.  If you do this test for just 24 hrs, if you anticipate the second hand hitting '0' by 0.2 seconds when starting the test, but you are 0.2 seconds slow in your reactions the next day, you have introduced a 0.4 second error  (per day) into your stats, which over 1 day is significant.  However, over 10 days it will not be.

The app aggregates and averages your daily timings, but always measures each reading against the internet time (which is very accurate), so the only discrepancy that creeps in is how early or late you tapped the screen to start your log, versus how early or late you tapped the screen for the last reading.  For a mechanical watch, a 0.4 second error over ten days, would mean a 0.04 second error in the calculated daily rate, and is probably not significant.  Measured over 3 weeks and the error is vanishingly small for a mechanical watch.

And no I do not want to sell all my watches and just use my phone. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gosh. Once again I find myself with @Bonzodog. Providing it’s within a few seconds per day, I am fine. If I really cared for split second accuracy I would get a “smart” watch. Caring about t

I only check the watch I’m going to wear with my phone,not that bothered about split second accuracy ,close enough is good enough after all I’m retired 

Yep this goes for me too. 

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

It’s an interesting point but regardless of what standards you use there is always uncertainty.

https://www.dit.ie/media/physics/documents/GPG11.pdf

One mans’ 60 seconds might be another’s 59.995 seconds

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I know, that is why I qualified it in reference to mechanical watches!  Those errors are without the scale of reference for a clockwork mechanism, but possibly not for the 262hz quartz brigade.

21 minutes ago, PC-Magician said:

Once I have serviced a Watch and regulated it on the Timegrapher I use a digital Watch which is synced to atomic time.

Not keen on Apps, but thats just me.:yes:

I used to do the same, but erm, just sold my Citizen AT on eBay!  It was lovely, but I never wore it - I basically used it as you describe. And now, if I look at a watch and wonder if I should sell it, the answer is yes, because 75% plus of my collection I could never even think that, so may as well ship out the 'maybe' squad and get some more keepers! 

I mean, reduce my collection, obvs.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nick67+1 said:

I would just use my G -Shock it adjusts to the atomic clock every morning at 1am. 

I do the same and it's the best way to go for most watch lovers, IMHO.

A Casio RC (Solar or battery) is a boon to any collection, purely for the accuracy on a daily basis, again, just my opinion.:wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Nick67+1 said:

I would just use my G -Shock it adjusts to the atomic clock every morning at 1am. 

The good thing about the app is the log I think, because no mechanical has a perfectly steady rate, you can note the temperature, was it on the winder, I made a note that this was anti-clockwise in the comments (this watch winds both ways but my other rotor auto does not).

I would have put a screenshot here but it's disabled in the app.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stan said:

A Casio RC (Solar or battery) is a boon to any collection

I used to have 4, only have my pro-trek now, but I do have this beside my monitor.

IMG_20200503_081120118.thumb.jpg.62a2d5dc2a14aa13959a0299c9259d50.jpg

Oh, I got my screen-shot (fat finger error 402 last time I tried)!

Screenshot_20200503-081709.thumb.png.babc1987538702089cfa83e332edf601.png

The daily deviations don't mean much because you can bit a bit off with your screen tap, but the average rate at the bottom will get more and more accurate every day.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

I only check the watch I’m going to wear with my phone,not that bothered about split second accuracy ,close enough is good enough after all I’m retired :biggrin:

Yep this goes for me too. :thumbsup:

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Bonzodog said:

not that bothered about split second accuracy

It's funny, the watch I wear most does not even have a second hand and I continually look at my clock to check it, because it does, effectively, 'hack' so, after setting it, the balance needs to start again, once back in running mode.  I do always give it a shake at that point (it's an auto) to persuade it into action.

Meanwhile the watch I have become obsessed with accuracy-wise only comes out on high days and holidays because it is a gleaming scratch magnet.  Just curiosity I guess.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

To Quote Adam Smith from "A theory of moral sentiments" an extremely dry book though it does have its moments of perceptiveness...

A watch, in the same manner, that falls behind above two minutes in a day, is despised by one curious in watches. He sells it perhaps for a couple of guineas, and purchases another at fifty, which will not lose above a minute in a fortnight. The sole use of watches however, is to tell us what o’clock it is, and to hinder us from breaking any engagement, or suffering any other inconvenience by our ignorance in that particular point. But the person so nice with regard to this machine, will not always be found either more scrupulously punctual than other men, or more anxiously concerned upon any other account, to know precisely what time of day it is. What interests him is not so much the attainment of this piece of knowledge, as the perfection of the machine which serves to attain it.

• Like 3

So this is why I didn't just use my atomic clock, I couldn't see the discrepancies at all - obviously not adjusted for isochronism, as the day I forgot to switch the winder on it lost over 1.5 seconds, but that is the benefit of wearing an auto - if you do, it stays wound up. Anyway, the aggregate loss over the week was less than a second, if I remove the outlier (when I forgot to wind it) the aggregate would have been a gain of about 1 second over the week.

Screenshot_20200505-215616.thumb.png.868ecca2095ee32497f2b6cd9dae8c51.png

Guess I need to do it on the wrist next!

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm quite 'sad' about this - as yes I do use a App - its called WatchTracker and like the one you use checks it against an atomic clock when you 'tap' on a designated time.

Its actually quite interesting to see the variance you get if you leave a watch Dial Up; 3 up or 9 up etc - and thus, when you've taken it off at night, ig you know how much variance you've got wearing it during a day.

You can then get some phenomenal accuracy rates over say a month - Ill post a screen shot up - but will have to do that vial TapTalk 

EDIT - hmmm Taptalk not working properly - so `i'll have to post it later 

Edited by KAS118
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Solve your mania with a MeisterSinger.

large.15535037314406596015529670112691.jpg.0a50e10b011e4e824cbb2a054cf0ae2d.jpg

The thing is - I would still attempt timing that - maybe over a week; so you could get a approximation when you 'estimate' the hand going onto one of the Markers :yes:

• Like 1

Ah, now able to post photos [emoji846]

This is what I mean.

You can see the variance, but by knowing which way to leave the watch I got a mechanical watch , what is non-COSC, to an average of approximately 0.25 secs/day 150e6a9098cfd44c2221df808554290f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Gosh. Once again I find myself with @Bonzodog.

Providing it’s within a few seconds per day, I am fine. If I really cared for split second accuracy I would get a “smart” watch.

Caring about the finest accuracy of mechanical timepieces would be a quick route to paranoia and misery for me :(

• Like 8

I used to use an app, but bought a timegrapher earlier this year. Now I can worry about amplitude and beat error, too!

I have found it invaluable for regulation (not really possible without, or very tricky at least).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 06/05/2020 at 09:25, yokel said:

Gosh. Once again I find myself with @Bonzodog.

Providing it’s within a few seconds per day, I am fine. If I really cared for split second accuracy I would get a “smart” watch.

Caring about the finest accuracy of mechanical timepieces would be a quick route to paranoia and misery for me :(

It is harmless as a pastime but an affliction when it becomes an obsession, like many things!  Some Rolex watches came with instructions as to how to pick up or lose a few seconds overnight, and I would say that is sound advice if you have an auto with a screw crown, because reducing the need to set it reduces the wear on that thread over the years.

12 hours ago, Lugh said:

I've used an Android app called Tickoprint. It measures the ticks over a short period, then says how much time the watch would gain/lose over a day. It seemed accurate enough on the two watches I tried anyway.

does it use the microphone, like a timegrapher?  That is what I was looking for too.

I just use 'time is' to set my watch when needed. Sometimes, out of curiosity, if still wearing the same watch, I will check to see how it's doing a few days later. On the better movements, unsurprisingly well. That's good enough for me.

• Like 1