• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

i dont do pocket watches , but if i did this one be my choice :biggrin: white  enamel? dial, blued hands , roman numerals, very nice alan:thumbsup:

deano

• Thanks 1

Stunning looking pocket watch , Alan . Looks to be in very good condition too , very nice indeed .:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

That is very nice indeed. Nice purchase:thumbsup: and reminds  me that I should get my great uncles pocket watch up and running. Nowhere near as nice as yours, but here’s a picture :thumbsup:

large.DSCN1145.JPG.47a6e0dd6e067626b0328a0c25e548c8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first work experience and they gave me the sales ledger printout to chase outstanding debts, Imperial Chemical Industries who the heck are they........oh ICI. 

Stunning watch. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind comments. :thumbsup:

@deano1956

Deano, yes, it has an enamel dial, which along with the hands & case, where all manufactured by Rotherham’s.

37 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

That is very nice indeed. Nice purchase:thumbsup: and reminds  me that I should get my great uncles pocket watch up and running. Nowhere near as nice as yours, but here’s a picture :thumbsup:

large.DSCN1145.JPG.47a6e0dd6e067626b0328a0c25e548c8.JPG

You really should have it serviced & wear it, IMHO, particularly as it has a family connection. :yes:

I see more men wearing these in recent years, usually in the colder months when wearing a waistcoat.  Although in warmer months mine are usually worn in jacket pocket (breast) secured in the button hole.

If anyone is unsure or lacking confidence/knowledge to purchase, wear one, may I suggest one of these simpler lever movement watches over a fusee (my personal favourite :yes:), cylinder movement.  They are more robust & easier to service.

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Thank you all for the kind comments. :thumbsup:

@deano1956

Deano, yes, it has an enamel dial, which along with the hands & case, where all manufactured by Rotherham’s.

You really should have it serviced & wear it, IMHO, particularly as it has a family connection. :yes:

I see more men wearing these in recent years, usually in the colder months when wearing a waistcoat.  Although in warmer months mine are usually worn in jacket pocket (breast) secured in the button hole.

If anyone is unsure or lacking confidence/knowledge to purchase, wear one, may I suggest one of these simpler lever movement watches over a fusee (my personal favourite :yes:), cylinder movement.  They are more robust & easier to service.

I intend to get it fixed as it was my great uncle’s and he apparently had it when he fought in Burma in WW2.

I’ve been told in the past that it needs a service and a new main spring and that the silver case was made to fit the movement. It still has the silver chain and key to wind the movement, which winds from the back once the case is opened. Sadly fully wound, but not running.

The only other pocket watch I own is a basic, but working, Smiths with a stainless steel case. This was another one owned by a relative in the military. That keeps great time and winds from the crown.

Edited by Littlelegs
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Karrusel said:

...for me anyway!

Like most of us viewing, purchasing timepieces has certainly been problematic under current restrictions.

For one who likes seeing, handling watches in the flesh, conversing with dealers/sellers, I had pretty much put my foraging on hold. :(

Even discussions regarding new (modern) pieces are currently suspended until viewing access is permitted. :(

However, a particular timepiece piqued my interest.  It was being offered by a charming young man who was doing some dealing to fund his way through watchmaking school.

After some pleasant exchanges, along with an assurance that I could return the item if not fully satisfied, a deal was struck!

1929 9k Rotherham & Son (Coventry). 

Swiss 15 jewel lever movement (ebauche), finished, regulated, & cased by Rotherhams.

UqRKtJr.jpg

xIVJDqq.jpg

wtcN4X0.jpg

z9rrGsa.mp4

suh3Sb6.jpg

Dedication to inner dust cover...

cqdKLrh.jpg

QTIxae2.jpg

Settled the itch for a bit :whistle:

Thanks for looking.

That is a very lovely looking thing. Roman numerals on a wrist watch would normally be an instant turn off but on a pocket watch they look perfect. 

Beautifully simple, simply beautiful :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

That is just stunning ,Alan , well done securing that well worth the risk :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Swiss 15 jewel lever movement (ebauche),

wtcN4X0.jpg

That's always the best bit for me. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

that's what i used to collect still have them

EGXIbACl.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Stunning looking pocket watch Alan, it looks brand new! Congratulations on your purchase, should tide you over until we can all get out and about. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Karrusel said:

1929 9k Rotherham & Son (Coventry). 

Swiss 15 jewel lever movement (ebauche), finished, regulated, & cased by Rotherhams.

UqRKtJr.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Very nice piece, Alan. This was how I actually started on the forum...I came here seeking advice about a Waltham PW that I was considering for Masonic use. It eventually found a new home with @AVO.

PW, Waltham decorated movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do like a nice pocket watch & that is a nice pocket watch :notworthy::clap: 

The last one I bought was a piece of modern mechanical tat bought from a street seller in London a couple of years. It has, needless to say, packed up & won't run now. I do have a vintage silver coloured (no clue if it's real silver or not) full hunter by J.W. Benson (the keyless Ludgate watch no less) which runs fine & keeps decent time but has a big chip on the (porcelain?) dial. I can't remember where I got it from but it's definitely a keeper :thumbs_up:

Enjoy your new watch :) 

• Thanks 1

This one of mine has a nice movement adjusted in 4  position

oJbpjONl.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2020 at 20:58, bowie said:

EGXIbACl.jpg

I really like that collection, love the case too. Thanks for sharing :)

• Thanks 1