• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Dalle

Lost spring bar to end link

Hello watch fans.

I've purchased a Seiko snzf17j1 and recently went out drinking. I woke up with my watch in my pocket and the spring bar that connects the end link with a little curved metal piece to the watch bezel or crown or what its called was missing.

So I'm new to this whole watch thing and dont know if I can find any given spring bar that Is 22mm thick because my bandwidth is 22mm or I need a specific type of spring bar because it's the end link spring bar that is missing.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Hi...you should be able to find a 22mm springbar at any good watch repairers. Alternatively, source one from ebay. Have you still got the curved end link, because if you've lost that too, you might have difficulty finding another. Your watch is known as a Sea Urchin, by the way.

Seiko 'Sea Urchin' SNZF17J1

• Thanks 1

Yeah I got the curved end link aswell. Its just the little spring to connect everything I've lost. But sounds good, I'll give that a go. Thank you!

Any local jewelers will take about 30mseconds to fit a new one and if they charge you more than £5 I would be surprised.

the 2 i use near me would do it as a freebie. if you can’t find one, pm me, I have a bag full of spring bars, I can post you a couple - I will even donate the stamp!

Well i just got it fixed and was charged 8£ for each side because the one on the opposite was damaged aswell.

Thought that 16£ for two tiny pins is ridiculous, but I wanted the watch fixed. So I paid the price.

But thank you for the gesture Richard.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

£16 for two spring-bars?  He or she had to be wearing a mask and not the Covid-19 type! :yes:

• Haha 3

Ow! Last time I needed an emergency strap replacement (my Hamilton rubber gave up mid shift) the watch repair shop did me a new one and fitted it for £10!

if you are going to be getting into watches, spend £10 on one of the cheap ‘watch repair kits’ on eBay. Basic too,s and kit that will make life so easy.

Well since it seems like you guys know alot. I was wondering, if I can replace the watch link bracelet so I keep the watch crown, and get a stronger metal link bracelet. Would that be possible? And if so, any good ideas?

Not sure if you're using predictive text, but not sure what you mean about keeping the 'crown'....the crown is the watch winding knob at the side. If you would like to change the bracelet for a different style, you could try 'Watch Gecko', who do some really nice alternatives. If you do order one, just make sure you select the correct lug width, which in your case is 22mm.

https://www.watchgecko.com/

11 hours ago, Dalle said:

Well since it seems like you guys know alot. I was wondering, if I can replace the watch link bracelet so I keep the watch crown, and get a stronger metal link bracelet. Would that be possible? And if so, any good ideas?

You can buy solid link bracelets with solid end links which are stronger but the springbar is still the weak link really :hmmm9uh:

They had your pants down with the springbars, I'd find another repairer next time :thumbsup:

John :)

that's a lot of money for a bracelet.

if you are really concerned, have a look at a good quality NATO strap, one of the selling points of a Nato is that if a springier fails, you won't lose the watch. They look proper smart on a diver as well.

Spring Bars fail, its about the only bit if a bracelet that ever does, but it is rare. don't let this experience of a 50cent springier failing scare you into spending a lot of money on a replacement strap that is still going to be dependent on the same 50c spring bar

• Like 1

Just now, Richard734 said:

that's a lot of money for a bracelet.

if you are really concerned, have a look at a good quality NATO strap, one of the selling points of a Nato is that if a springier fails, you won't lose the watch. They look proper smart on a diver as well.

Spring Bars fail, its about the only bit if a bracelet that ever does, but it is rare. don't let this experience of a 50cent springier failing scare you into spending a lot of money on a replacement strap that is still going to be dependent on the same 50c spring bar

Have to be careful with Nato's now as some are made with a springngbar in the buckle! :hmmm9uh:

John :thumbsup:

So I went to the local watch shop yesterday again. I consulted with the shop owner, who suggested: Swiss Military Hanowa BUT a special kind which he couldn't stress enough was a older model which had some kind of broad stronger end link thing which would be quite alot stronger than the newer link bracelets due to watch manufacturers can safe alot more money in production which makes the quality on the bracelets lack a bit.

Well I have absolutely no idea which model of the Hanowa watch the old man was talking about.. can anyone assist me?

And I know this is a Japanese watch topic, but perhaps someone knows about swiss aswell and it the watch is any good

Dalle, please don’t let one spring bar scare you. It happens, it is very rare. You were unlucky it broke, lucky you didn’t lose your watch.

now, if you are breaking them every week, I would suggest you are living a lifestyle that is hard on watches and should consider a dare wrist!

i have an Omega Speedmaster, i swap straps on that all the time (bracelet, NATO, Leather) and i have never broken a bar. If i am confident with a multi thousand euro watch, you should be a little more confident in yours.

now, if it is just an excuse to go watch Shopping..... point your budget, we will happily spend it for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1