• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Nick67+1

How do you pay?

Just a general question, I’ve been going a little stir crazy working from home and have made a few purchases from overseas, have always bought from UK based sellers or through Amazon/EBay in the past.  No extravagant purchases but when I get bored I go online and shop. The choice in the UK due to I guess lack of stock appears to have diminished, so I cast my net further afield. I’ve always used PayPal in the UK as it’s a straight transaction. 

Ordered a Yema Rallygraf Meca Quartz which is waiting on straps being delivered apparently. All priced in Euro’s paid by PayPal. 

I’ve ordered a couple of Vostok’s from  Meranom (first time) paid the US$ price and paid through PayPal. Not a major loss because they’re pretty inexpensive watches but looking at the site afterwards the rouble price/conversion appeared to work out cheaper than the US$ conversion.

I saw Tissot V8 NOS I loved from a Swiss/German company last night, priced in GBP, went through to checkout, price switched to Euros. Looked at paying through PayPal coming out £12 more than the GBP price on the website, I actually went through the hassle of putting  in my MasterCard details and it came out £2 less than the website price. 

Do you always check conversions for currencies and exchange rates for payment methods? 

I have stopped taking PayPal right now.  Their service level is currently appalling and I can't speak to anyone, see sent messages, just get told to wait - it's shocking

A fraud reported on 11th April, and I still have not got anyone to even listen never mind refund me.  The eBay sellers account was hacked, the scammer issued a refund via eCheque and when that fails they issue another.  Fourth one now.  PayPal have told me to contact the seller (no way possible - the account was hacked), eBay (been great but can't force Paypal to refund while an echeque is in process) and finally told me today they are just a gateway service, I should wait for the cheque to clear.  Going to the financial ombudsman on Monday.

You can not trust PayPal at the moment if something does go wrong.  Pay on your credit card instead and you get a better rate of exchange usually too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Going to the financial ombudsman on Monday.

Good luck with that (seriously), in my experience they are as much use as a chocolate fire guard.  Same as the rest of the regulatory authorities....utterly useless!!

Merely a depository for burying legitimate complaints.

Hope I’m wrong in your case.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I am very surprised about the issues with paypal.  That being said, for the vast majority of things I have bought through paypal have been through credit card anyway which I then just pay off.  The only issue I can recall recently was when I had funds in my paypal account but wanted to pay by card and they default took it out my funds.   When I did call them up to question this the lady I spoke to knew about as much as me and we ended up both looking through our individual accounts on the phone to check the paypal T&C.  Slightly embarrassing that the customer service team have to ask the customer to help them find their own T&C for them.  

Wasnt a big deal in the end just made me smile.

2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Good luck with that (seriously), in my experience they are as much use as a chocolate fire guard.  Same as the rest of the regulatory authorities....utterly useless!!

Merely a depository for burying legitimate complaints.

Hope I’m wrong in your case.

Pretty much my experience from years ago.

Pulled  out of buying a car on HP at the last minute. Agreement cancelled, never chased for payment but my credit score was hit with a default payment marker for about two years. Destroyed my credit score. No one wanted to do anything. 

Had to go legal in the end to get it resolved. 

I’m extremely wary of any financial company, it really is a question of someone following a flow chart to a computer says yes/no result. God forbid anyone should think outside the box these days. 

• Like 1

I don't buy anything from outside the UK, but if I did I'd probably pay with Paypal.  Purchases on ebay are always paid via Paypal.  Other purchases online are either credit card or Paypal, never debit card.

• Like 3

Just now, Davey P said:

I don't buy anything from outside the UK, but if I did I'd probably pay with Paypal.  Purchases on ebay are always paid via Paypal.  Other purchases online are either credit card or Paypal, never debit card.

PayPal is very convenient especially on my phone with facial recognition etc, I just realised the exchange rate was better using my credit card directly. 

On 09/05/2020 at 16:11, Davey P said:

Agreed, Paypal with credit card > Paypal > Credit Card

On 09/05/2020 at 16:06, Nick67+1 said:

Pretty much my experience from years ago.

Pulled  out of buying a car on HP at the last minute. Agreement cancelled, never chased for payment but my credit score was hit with a default payment marker for about two years. Destroyed my credit score. No one wanted to do anything. 

Had to go legal in the end to get it resolved. 

I’m extremely wary of any financial company, it really is a question of someone following a flow chart to a computer says yes/no result. God forbid anyone should think outside the box these days. 

It is a concern, especially when the criteria for applications is almost identical across the board. It is quite risky as you can end up getting completely locked out of banking due to a bad credit record. I had something similar once when i wanted to move some debt onto a new 0% interest card and could not get a new card with anyone. Had to lump it for a while and pay the interest.

Point being it can kind of come out of nowhere (or at least be unjust) and leave you stuck in a difficult spot with noone willine to give you a hand up. No room for individual assessement and no discression by the lenders, just a set criteria. People may aswell not be involved in the process as they have no say in it, just follow the computer.

• Like 1

Usually use credit card and then pay it off as quick as possible (I rarely buy unless I have the cash)
If I’m buying from an individual i prefer face to face and pay with cash of bank transfer. But I’ve bought a few cheaper things via bank transfer and trust from forums and haven’t been bitten yet.
As always due diligence and ‘buy the seller’ is key in these situations.
My largest transaction was via C24 escrow using my credit card from a dealer in Poland everything went flawlessly and I had my watch within 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally use PayPal and have had hassles with them. All got sorted in time but they work extremely slowly.  Funniest thing was when I sold a watch and the ebay buyer returned it for no reason.  I didn't want the aggro of the argument so refunded the buyer via PayPal.  I must have pushed the wrong button as they sent the buyer an echeque that took 5 days to clear. Talk about poetic justice. 

Just an update on PayPal.

5 weeks ago I was defrauded on PayPal of a not inconsiderable £1,750. I still don't have a refund or any faith that I will get one, seeing as no one there cares.

eBay and PayPal 'divorced' five years ago and are separate businesses now.  In July eBay will be launching their own payment processes, but it does mean that eBay can't see what PayPal are currently doing, nor intervene.

PayPal appear to have moved their customer services to India, which is bad normally but during lockdown it is worse.  You can't work from home if you don't have a computer, phone and wifi,  so they have a lot less staff that normal.  This I can forgive, as you can't build a business around the possibility of a global lockdown.  However I have messaged dozens of times and the answers range from just wait, not our problem, we are only a payment  gateway , call us (phone lines are dead), take it up with eBay - I have probably dealt with a dozen members of PayPals staff and none have cared, answered straightforward questions or took ownership of the issue.

Think you are covered if you pay for something on PayPal if something goes wrong? NOPE!

@Karrusel was correct too about the ombudsman - you can't complain if the company has replied to you.  Even if they haven't answered your question, or fixed your problem.  So now I have to take PayPal to court.

I use Paypal for low value items more for the convenience as anything, for higher value purchases I use my credit card but this in itself can be a problem. Three times in four years I have had my credit card fraudulently used soon after buying online, each time it was picked up by Barclay's anti-fraud system. Last time was immediately after buying some t shirts from Jacamo now I have no idea if someone involved with them operated the fraud or if it was just coincidence. The other possibilities are where I have my credit card details saved by an organisation but these are limited to London Congestion Charging, Dartford Crossing and RingGo car parking app.  The modus operandi seems to be a small fraudulent expenditure, in the last instance it was 60 pence to Spotify and when that works they tend to buy things that have a tradable value such as telephone top-up cards, instant win lottery cards etc.

I rarely use my credit card so the fraud rate in my case is quite high in my opinion, my computer is well protected as are mobile phones and I rarely use my card in shops.

I never use my debit card online.

On 17/05/2020 at 08:51, scottswatches said:

Just an update on PayPal.

5 weeks ago I was defrauded on PayPal of a not inconsiderable £1,750. I still don't have a refund or any faith that I will get one, seeing as no one there cares.

eBay and PayPal 'divorced' five years ago and are separate businesses now.  In July eBay will be launching their own payment processes, but it does mean that eBay can't see what PayPal are currently doing, nor intervene.

PayPal appear to have moved their customer services to India, which is bad normally but during lockdown it is worse.  You can't work from home if you don't have a computer, phone and wifi,  so they have a lot less staff that normal.  This I can forgive, as you can't build a business around the possibility of a global lockdown.  However I have messaged dozens of times and the answers range from just wait, not our problem, we are only a payment  gateway , call us (phone lines are dead), take it up with eBay - I have probably dealt with a dozen members of PayPals staff and none have cared, answered straightforward questions or took ownership of the issue.

Think you are covered if you pay for something on PayPal if something goes wrong? NOPE!

@Karrusel was correct too about the ombudsman - you can't complain if the company has replied to you.  Even if they haven't answered your question, or fixed your problem.  So now I have to take PayPal to court.

PayPal have finally refunded me, two months and two days after complaining.  I am still not accepting paypal as payment though, I might just wait to see the new eBay pay portal which will be launched soon

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

PayPal have finally refunded me, two months and two days after complaining.  I am still not accepting paypal as payment though, I might just wait to see the new eBay pay portal which will be launched soon

The correct result!

Better late than never.

• Like 1