• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tips For Selling Watches

Jet Jetski

I have had the first buyer renege on a deal on eBay, probably won't be the last, but I thought it would be good to share some tips, if you have any.

Mine is: If you check in on your item for sale on the bay, and find that you want to click 'buy it now', then it is probably better not to sell that one - you may regret it later.

More tips please!

• Like 2

For me it’s as much information as possible. I don’t use eBay so all my watches have been purchased from shops/AD/Amazon either in person or online, and it’s amazing how many online descriptions don’t have simple facts such as lug width or whether or not the crown screws in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

For me it’s as much information as possible. I don’t use eBay so all my watches have been purchased from shops/AD/Amazon either in person or online, and it’s amazing how many online descriptions don’t have simple facts such as lug width or whether or not the crown screws in. 

I find a lot of contradiction between different sites as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jet Jetski said:

More tips please!

I've bought most of my vintage stuff off eBay, and only been "stung" once, and that was for £18. Good pics, and a brutally honest appraisal is what attracts me. "Keeps good vintage time" is my pet hate, but not everyone is the same, are they ?

• Like 2

Always remember that no matter what you write, and no matter how accurate your description is...the buyer has all the rights in the eyes of Flebay.

I sold a watch that was described as 'not working for parts or repair' the buyer put a new battery in it and guess what it wasn't working (surprising..not to me it wasn't)

The buyer asked for a return and refund on the grounds that the watch was not working, yes I got the watch back but it cost me to have it sent back to me (not fair at all in my eyes)

If you sell a watch that the buyer says is a fake, they have the right to a refund, and keep the fake watch even if it is actually genuine. This has never happened to me, but I feel that is grossly unfair to the seller. I have been told about this a few times, and I think it happened to Marc at Long Island Watches.

So keep it in mind when you write a full and accurate description that lists all that is good, and the bad with your listing, it just doesn't matter, because Flebay are 100% for the buyers and not the sellers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Always remember that no matter what you write, and no matter how accurate your description is...the buyer has all the rights in the eyes of Flebay.

I sold a watch that was described as 'not working for parts or repair' the buyer put a new battery in it and guess what it wasn't working (surprising..not to me it wasn't)

The buyer asked for a return and refund on the grounds that the watch was not working, yes I got the watch back but it cost me to have it sent back to me (not fair at all in my eyes)

If you sell a watch that the buyer says is a fake, they have the right to a refund, and keep the fake watch even if it is actually genuine. This has never happened to me, but I feel that is grossly unfair to the seller. I have been told about this a few times, and I think it happened to Marc at Long Island Watches.

So keep it in mind when you write a full and accurate description that lists all that is good, and the bad with your listing, it just doesn't matter, because Flebay are 100% for the buyers and not the sellers.

Spot on , that’s why I pretty much stopped selling watches on eBay, I did put one on a few months back just to test the water after a long absence but sold it as spares or repair even though it was actually working, I can’t really be doing with the fools and chancers of which there are many   Like you say it really is geared up for the buyer not the seller which is a little disappointing as it’s the seller that pays their wages so to speak   
To the op regarding tips , good pictures and accurate description , listing any defects as mentioned above , but beware the fools and chancers 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, andyclient said:

Spot on , that’s why I pretty much stopped selling watches on eBay, I did put one on a few months back just to test the water after a long absence but sold it as spares or repair even though it was actually working, I can’t really be doing with the fools and chancers of which there are many   Like you say it really is geared up for the buyer not the seller which is a little disappointing as it’s the seller that pays their wages so to speak   
To the op regarding tips , good pictures and accurate description , listing any defects as mentioned above , but beware the fools and chancers 

Yep - last watch I "sold" went south too. Buyer just completely sacked off paying me and never responded. The one before that I was accused of it being a fake once it was received! I'll not sell anymore watches on flea bay that's for sure.

• Like 4

To be fair to the whole process of selling on E bay, in all the years of selling on there I have only had 'stupid man that couldn't understand the not working, for parts or repair' and one that was a really dishonest buyer that tried every trick in the book to get one of the watches for free out of the two he bought.

There is no description or photograph that will protect you from a dishonest buyer as E bay 99.99% of the time will side with the buyer rather than the seller.

There is no description or photograph that will protect you if the buyer says the item is a fake, the buyer can demand a refund via Paypal and they will almost instantly issue a refund without E bay even being involved.

I wouldn't expect that any member of this forum sells fake watches, but it is a concern if you have a nice genuine Rolex that the buyer then tells Paypal it is a fake, the buyer gets a refund, and gets to keep the 'fake' Rolex.

From the horses mouth or so to speak (from a customer services agent at E bay) it doesn't really matter what you write as a description, the buyer can ask for a refund...full stop, no matter the reason. So you can list a watch stating in the description that it has age related wear, but then ask for a return and refund on the basis of age related wear. The cost of the return is down to the seller, and my concern is what has this buyer done to the watch while they have had it.

The phrase is 'BUYER BEWARE', but with E bay it is 'SELLER BEWARE'

• Like 3

3 hours ago, relaxer7 said:

Yep - last watch I "sold" went south too. Buyer just completely sacked off paying me and never responded. The one before that I was accused of it being a fake once it was received! I'll not sell anymore watches on flea bay that's for sure.

Feeling the same.

• Like 1

i would never sell on Ebay, i had a buyer claim the goods were broken, who sent back an empty box.

Ebay refunded them and told me that if i had a problem, report the buyer to the police. Turned out the buyer had done it to about 20 people, and eventually Ebay banned them - but all the sellers were left out of pocket

So Ebay can shove it :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Richard734 said:

i would never sell on Ebay, i had a buyer claim the goods were broken, who sent back an empty box.

Ebay refunded them and told me that if i had a problem, report the buyer to the police. Turned out the buyer had done it to about 20 people, and eventually Ebay banned them - but all the sellers were left out of pocket

So Ebay can shove it :)

That is exactly the situation that has me worried about selling on there.

I stopped selling on there after the last buyer wanted a watch for free as the two watches had some 'faulty split pins on the bracelets' the split pins were fine, the bracelets were solid and in good condition.

I don't see how a buyer can ask for a watch for free (£45.00) due to some split pins which cost around 6p.

I have sold some stuff on E bay recently to be honest, but only stuff I didn't care about. I did watch a sale of a Rolex WW1 'trench watch' from start to finish and I got in touch with the seller to see if the sale went ok and there were no problems with the buyer. I have the same watch so I was interested how a £2800.00 vintage watch sale pans out on the bay.

Sell a high value watch on E bay???...not for me thanks, I'm not brave enough.

• Like 2

I'm constantly amazed by how badly sellers present their watches. Twelve pictures of the dial from slightly different angles is good one. Or three pictures from different sides, all out of focus. How can they not notice that before they post?

Short uninformative descriptions actually seem to sell better, at least at the low end of the market I'm looking at. I guess nobody likes a clever clogs.

• Like 2

When I look at sales on Ebay if the item has got a good set of photographs and a comprehensive factual description without any flowery sales talk then I will take it seriously.

I do the same whith my sales

• Like 1

I've sold quite a few on ebay, including mid range (several hundred quid kind of value). My approach is to use loads of pics, give tons of detail, and sound like you know watches. That will reassure nervous buyers. 

I keep an eye on who is highest bidder, and look at their history. If it looks dodgy, I will contact them direct. If they still sound dodgy, I will cancel bids. 

So far, so good!

12 hours ago, Grand Old Duke said:

Rading all of this I will probably buy more stuff off ebay now, I genuinely had no idea the buyer is so well protected. I have only ever bought 1 thing of there so far, which was of course a watch! 

the buyer is, however, you need to wade through the sea of fakes and frauds on there - that bargain Ralex that the phots show is a real rolex and the inexperienced seller flogging it for his 97yr old grandad, apologies for the poor quality pictures, i know nothing about this, don't have PayPal, can we do bank transfer.... probably isn't as genuine or as big  bargain as you though!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard734 said:

the buyer is, however, you need to wade through the sea of fakes and frauds on there - that bargain Ralex that the phots show is a real rolex and the inexperienced seller flogging it for his 97yr old grandad, apologies for the poor quality pictures, i know nothing about this, don't have PayPal, can we do bank transfer.... probably isn't as genuine or as big  bargain as you though!

@Richard734 yes you are right. At the  price point I am looking at (sub £500) probably less of an issue though I'm sure even fakes exist at the budget end too. 

3 minutes ago, Grand Old Duke said:

@Richard734 yes you are right. At the  price point I am looking at (sub £500) probably less of an issue though I'm sure even fakes exist at the budget end too. 

They do I’m afraid, and some nasty cobbled together pieces from India that are especially dodgy 

1 hour ago, Grand Old Duke said:

I would hazard a guess that there is probably as much if not more money in fake budget end watches - certainly there are many fake Casios. A fake watch scummer can probably sell many times more fake Casio’s than Rolex, and because of the price involved the unwitting buyer is less likely to check/complain/ask for refund. 

3 hours ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

I would hazard a guess that there is probably as much if not more money in fake budget end watches - certainly there are many fake Casios. A fake watch scummer can probably sell many times more fake Casio’s than Rolex, and because of the price involved the unwitting buyer is less likely to check/complain/ask for refund. 

Fake Casio's jesus is nothing sacred anymore.