• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Always something new.  Since the day I bought it this watch has always looked a little grey round the perimeter of the crystal. Last night I was looking at it under a 25 times magnification Loupe

what I found was ivy like patterns radiating in from the perimeter and looking like stems and leaves, this was around 360 degrees and looked symmetrical. Today I have removed the movement, and pressed out the crystal, after washing with a mild bleach solution  I replaced the crystal with a new gasket..

All the hazing has now gone and it looks like new.   Any one else come across this.     The images are both from before I cleaned it.large.DSC_0007.JPG.e46e082c6f44ea83deb3d9a286afe442.JPGlarge.2051735997_Strangedesigns.JPG.6618eb2a6c1629597a9e554b89fee3c3.JPG

I have not seen that seemingly organic hazing of the crystal before but one type of hazing I have been banging on about, at least every now and then, is a sort of mist on the underside of the crystal as if fumes or vapour  from inside the watch have been deposited on the crystal. This misting is especially noticeable with clack dial watches, and seems to occur only with quartz (battery) watches; the solution is to clean the mist away on the underside of the crystal, without any need for abrasives or powerful chemicals.

• Like 1

for lenses i use isopropinal.  it should work on battery watches to.  for leaking battery deposits "baking soda in warm water" (opisit of acid ).  might not be good for quarts .    movments..    vin

I have seen similar on my old film camera lenses, in fact I got one stripped down and cleaned a couple of years ago and the camera technician confirmed it was fungus. Why they like glass who knows!