• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sorry another Rolex question.

I go on another non watch forum that has a few sub-forums and one topic is about watches, there was a topic about which Rolex holds it value the best, to be fair i dont know but i mentioned the sea dweller and the submariner, another poster who actually has owned rolexes mentioned the daytona, i thought i`d get a definite answer on here so which is it chaps.

17 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Which model of Rolex holds it value the best, i mentioned sea dweller and submariner, someone else mentioned daytona.

Ah! I don't know, and don't care :)

The iconic Datejust is always a great favourite, but the 'sports' or 'tool' models seem to attract most attention. Top of the list has to be the Submariner, closely followed by the GMT...(see my earlier post, today). Then there is is the Sea Dweller, Yacht Master, Daytona and Milgaus to consider.

Just food for thought...:thumbsup:

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, sabailand said:

Which model of Rolex holds it value the best, i mentioned sea dweller and submariner, someone else mentioned daytona.

My Explorer. One famous owner with provenance.

• Like 1

Well I will give you an example, I recently bought a newly serviced Rolex Seadweller Deepsea circa 2014 for £8450..

Its RRP in 2014 was £9050. So its kept its value fairly well, but it's never going to be an investment!

Edited by odyseus10
  • Like 2

Never buy any watch to make money would be my advice, but the watch brands that tend to hold money are Patek, JLC, VC, and Rolex.

There will be others, but that's it...ish.

Daytona's are like hens teeth so good luck getting one at a reasonable price. It's a long, long wait on an AD's wait list, which you probably wouldn't even get on their wait list unless you have bought something 'significant' from them and have a relationship. Approximately a 9-10 year wait for a Daytona, there or thereabouts, but I guess Covid-19 may have increased these wait times. Subs and Sea Dwellers are a decent wait also, 3-5 for a Sub I guess.

I look at it this way...

Buy a watch, wear it, enjoy it.

If you sell it and you get back what you have paid for it then it has been a good investment...an enjoyable investment.

If you make a profit it has been a wise/lucky choice.

• Like 2

At the moment due to a shortage of availability used examples of the white Daytona, the green Submariner and either the Batman or the Pepsi GMT sell for well above their list price, so those have held their value and indeed gained value terrifically well. Will that continue going forwards, who knows? But if you can get one for list price then you're laughing.

To generalise, the Sports models hold their value best, Datejusts not quite so well and Cellinis not very well at all.

Edited by GASHEAD
  • Like 1

Historically the Daytona has increased massively on original prices and has always been hard to obtain but none of us know the future... we pressume all stainless steel sports Rolex will hold well but fashions change, there are some models of Rolex that are considerably cheaper than before (older smaller models like the vintage bubble backs) past performance is no guarantee of future performance. 

1 hour ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Never buy any watch to make money would be my advice, but the watch brands that tend to hold money are Patek, JLC, VC, and Rolex.

JLC and VC not so much... even as a fan of these watches it is only a few specific models that are solid and not as easy to sell as PP and Rolex.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Historically the Daytona has increased massively on original prices and has always been hard to obtain but none of us know the future... we pressume all stainless steel sports Rolex will hold well but fashions change, there are some models of Rolex that are considerably cheaper than before (older smaller models like the vintage bubble backs) past performance is no guarantee of future performance. 

JLC and VC not so much... even as a fan of these watches it is only a few specific models that are solid and not as easy to sell as PP and Rolex.

I have only recently fallen for the charms of JLC's Reverso, it did take me a little while to 'understand' their beauty. Like many watches, you need to see them in the flesh before having an opinion on them.

I really like Omega's, but every time I have walked into an AD I have walked out empty handed as my wrist didn't like them. 

I have never really gone out looking to make money on watches, other than one. I bought a WW1 Rolex (1916) which still as a little lume on the dial (don't worry, I am extremely careful when handling it) this is probably the only watch I have bought thinking that this is an investment watch. To be honest, it wouldn't bother me if it did or didn't make a profit, but I do see some watches as 'money in the bank'

Probably the submariner followed by the GMT as said above.  Daytona is fairly new to the game and due to people getting duped into the whole waiting list/double your money pyramid scam over the past few years.  The aquanaut is another over inflated watch price that I can see dropping off soon.  A few years ago I asked about an aquanaut and was told I could pick one up in 3 months no waiting list, nothing.

JLC can be had 10% pretty much anywhere so are hardly good investments likewise VC.

• Like 1
Probably the submariner followed by the GMT as said above.  Daytona is fairly new to the game and due to people getting duped into the whole waiting list/double your money pyramid scam over the past few years.  The aquanaut is another over inflated watch price that I can see dropping off soon.  A few years ago I asked about an aquanaut and was told I could pick one up in 3 months no waiting list, nothing.
JLC can be had 10% pretty much anywhere so are hardly good investments likewise VC.

Discounts are dependant on the model not the brand.

I’ve been offered well over 10% discount on a VC in a Bangkok AD. Same goes for Blancpain (the manager actually gave a bigger discount than my original offer), Breguet, Moser, Panerai and Paul Frank. All dependant on the model not the brand.
  • Like 1

People talking about discounts from. Ads, are we talking about buying new watches?   I hadn't even thought of such a thing.... The original post doesn't mention new or preowned. 

I am not one who believes in paying over list for the artificial scarcity of a watch so I guess that just rules certain models out for me... 

Most Rolex have great Value retention in today's market but fads come and go and if you are buying at above RRP then its a completely different answer. just 5 years ago most Rolex models were available with a discount those days are long behind us but nobody knows what the future holds.

There are many brands that have great value retention at all price levels its not all about Rolex you try finding a first generation VC Overseas Chronograph for every one of these i have found there are a thousands of so called rare Daytona's

I'm still looking for a white faced example:(.

5 hours ago, Igerswis said:

Discounts are dependant on the model not the brand.

I’ve been offered well over 10% discount on a VC in a Bangkok AD. Same goes for Blancpain (the manager actually gave a bigger discount than my original offer), Breguet, Moser, Panerai and Paul Frank. All dependant on the model not the brand.

Someone mentioned JLC and VC being good investments, as a brand they can be found at up to and above 10% discount, good luck finding the same on a Rolex these days even for an OP or a datejust which used to be an easy 5%.

So yes, you can argue semantics if you like but those are the realities of life.

I think that generally  all Rolex models not only hold their value but do increase in value especially if you buy 2nd hand where the initial hit on the first year or twos value has already happened .
The thing is every year Rolex increase their prices , typically around 10% so the value of the 2nd hand ones increase , so the greater the rrp the bigger the increase obviously .

The same can be said for a lot of the higher end watches , not just Rolex

Someone mentioned JLC and VC being good investments, as a brand they can be found at up to and above 10% discount, good luck finding the same on a Rolex these days even for an OP or a datejust which used to be an easy 5%.
So yes, you can argue semantics if you like but those are the realities of life.

Discounts on Rolex models are available here too. I was offered a decent discount (maybe 10% if not more) on a yellow gold Yachtmaster as that would be the only way I would get a s/steel sports model within 12 months at RRP. Obviously I declined the offer as that made no financial sense to me.

People need to differentiate the difference between the models that are available from an AD at a discount and those that are much harder to obtain and sell for above list on the used market.

The main Rolex models that hold their value over time are the s/steel Submariner (including the GMT models), Sea-Dweller and Daytona.

They’ve held their value well for over the last decade so it’s not just a fad. The Daytona has been holding its value well for a few decades now as it’s unavailable to the public from an AD. I got mine in January 2018 and paid around £16k; retail was £9,400 at the time. Now the sellers want over £19k for them.

I don’t plan on selling any of my higher end timepieces despite the value increasing so it’s not that relevant to me. But it’s nice to know should I fall on hard times then it is an option.

SS sports Rolex have ballooned in value in the last few years. I owned a couple of 16570 Explorer IIs about 4-5 years ago. Bought and sold for about £2500. Now worth twice that. More popular models even more so.  Massive waiting lists for popular new models mean that the grey market will set you back alot more than RRP.

It's all a bit ridiculous, and it's hard to tell if it's a bit of a bubble, or increases will be sustainable. COVID-19 is adding to the lack of certainty.

Buying any watch as an investment is likely to be a hit and miss affair. Even if your chosen watch does appreciate, you will need to factor servicing, which for a Rolex is going to be north of £500 for the AD route. As has been pointed out, best to buy what you like, and enjoy it!

I am, however, kicking myself that I 1) sold my 16570, and 2) didn't buy the 16750 GMT-Master II for £3200 when I had the chance... :biggrin:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, apm101 said:

SS sports Rolex have ballooned in value in the last few years. I owned a couple of 16570 Explorer IIs about 4-5 years ago. Bought and sold for about £2500. Now worth twice that. More popular models even more so.  Massive waiting lists for popular new models mean that the grey market will set you back alot more than RRP.

It's all a bit ridiculous, and it's hard to tell if it's a bit of a bubble, or increases will be sustainable. COVID-19 is adding to the lack of certainty.

Buying any watch as an investment is likely to be a hit and miss affair. Even if your chosen watch does appreciate, you will need to factor servicing, which for a Rolex is going to be north of £500 for the AD route. As has been pointed out, best to buy what you like, and enjoy it!

I am, however, kicking myself that I 1) sold my 16570, and 2) didn't buy the 16750 GMT-Master II for £3200 when I had the chance... :biggrin:

Crazy money these days, I bought my first Pepsi GMT for £900 and thought I did okay when I sold it for £1200, a bit later in about 2005 a new Sub for £2350, no waiting no relationship with some salesman malarkey just walked into Goldsmiths and bought one they had just put in the widow, at the time LV’s were only another few hundred quid over a regular Sub although a bit more difficult to get a hold of at list I did eventually get one. I even got a discount on new ceramic GMT new from an AD. Hulks and Deep Sea’s we’re sitting in AD’s windows.

Changed days 

I've had quite a few Rolex over the years, starting with a Precision, then a Datejust, a Sun, an Explorer, Seadweller, two versions of GMT Master and two Daytonas. I currently have just the one,  a gold and steel Daytona I bought new from the trade in Jan 2019. It was originally supplied to the Rolex AD in Greece in Oct 2018.   

Out of all this I made enough money selling the others over the years to mainly  fund the Daytona together with a tax rebate. I never paid more than the going rate and in at least two transactions, sold for 1000s more than I'd paid (Seadweller, one GMT and the original Daytona).The others all broke even or made a smaller profit. 

I've also had a number of Omegas but that's a different and not so profitable story. 

IMG_20200412_164854.jpg

Edited by ong
Spelling.

Daytona is the best investment or any model which is discontinued , I remember buying a seadweller 4K ceramic for 6k , within a year it was discontinued and worth 9k, now it’s worth around 11k so happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk