• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
jagelerth

Unknown watch logo... GID GJD??

4 hours ago, jagelerth said:

What could this be? GIO, GJO GID, GJD?

I haven't seen that before. Do you know what the movement is? That might narrow things down a bit, to a country for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagelerth said:

Still wonder what that logo could be...

I think you found out already.

Edited by spinynorman

Yes I have. I entered those three letter into http://mikrolisk.de and voila:

it is Georg Jacob GmbH (from Leipzig) watch - GJD letters inside a triangle near 12 hour) with DuRoWe 1032, 21 jewel mechanism inside.

Possibly a "marriage" because the watch is older than the mechanism.

3 hours ago, jagelerth said:

Possibly a "marriage" because the watch is older than the mechanism.

I'm not sure about that. I've seen Georg Jacob described mainly as a supplier of watchmaking equipment, the equivalent of Bergeon in Switzerland. Adverts from early 1900s confirm that.

I suspect the company survived into the 1950s, but I haven't been able to prove it. That looks to me like a 1950s watch.

• Thanks 1

I have found an interesting reference to a work by Georg Jacob GmbH (HG) on Abe Books. The book title is, "Ein Blick - Werk-Erkennung, IV, GTeil: Wecker", and it was published in 1943 by Eigenverlag, Leipzig, in 1943. The details provided (only in German, unfortunately) indicate that this document is some form of brochure or catalogue.

I agree with @spinynorman that your watch does look as if it is a 1950s piece, almost certainly pre-1955, and it will be interesting to find out if Georg Jacob GmbH survived into that period.

• Like 1