• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jari37

Alternative to a Planet Ocean?

So I've been on the lookout for a nice 42mm PO, but there don't seem to be many around at the moment.  Given that patience is not a strong point, I've also been considering a black SMPc, and it occurred to me to see if people have any suggestions for alternatives.  In a departure from my normal preferences, I'm liking the slightly shiny/blingy appearance of the PO, and the nice glossy black dial of the SMPc.  Something about this lockdown makes me want to buy a shiny object.  Max budget £2.5k - any bright ideas for divers I've overlooked?

Shiny = Breitling of a few years ago. Have a look at the SuperOcean II 42 or the SO Heritage. The newest model can be had on Chrono24 for about £2.3K with a bracelet and I'm tempted with one in yellow or orange at the min :) 

Second vote for the Super Ocean 2 42mm. You can either get the older model or the new version for under your price range brand new with a bit of haggling ...also the Breitling Colt which is technically a dive watch. The rubber strap is nice but get the folding clasp version not the pin buckle. 

Other options are the Longines Legend Diver and Hydroconquest or the Oris Aquis...also check out what Bell and Ross and Ball have to offer...I don’t know their ranges too well but know they are solid watches 

https://www.markworthingtonjewellers.co.uk/breitling-superocean-42-a17366d7101s2-unworn.html?filter=%26fl1%3D961&records_per_page=40

https://www.markworthingtonjewellers.co.uk/oris-aquis-date-relief-01-733-7730-4153-Grey.html?filter=%26%26fl1%3D966&records_per_page=40

Edit....Oris do a few special/ limited editions of the Aquis so there’s a lot to choose from 

Oh almost forgot the Rado Captain Cook....comes in multiple sizes, colours and strap options. They look way better in person than photos....that domed crystal and bezel are amazing

Edited by WickerBill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porker63 said:

What about a Tudor Pelegos?

How did I forget that one!!!!! And the Tudor black bay technically 

6 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

To be fair the Blackbay has not really got the depth rating to compete with the Planet Ocean.

1 hour ago, Porker63 said:

To be fair the Blackbay has not really got the depth rating to compete with the Planet Ocean.

That’s very true.....but how many divers have you seen go 600 metres......most would be lucky to be worn in the shower

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are not wrong, I have dived with my Pelegos, but would not with my Blackbay 58 because it is too pretty. I certainly have not done depths that both are capable of though.

7 hours ago, WickerBill said:

Thanks all for the replies.  I started out wanting a Black Bay (great watch but couldn't live with no date complication), moved onto a Pelagos (really liked at first, ended up feeling it was too stark), never took to Oris as a brand (appreciate they have good pieces, just never found one I love), have a long history with Longines & am seriously considering a moon phase down the line, Breitling Super Ocean is interesting though, checking it out as we speak.

Really helpful though guys.  Ideally someone will pop up with a nice PO at some point, but it's good to have options.

Just to complicate things, I've also started to get obsessed by Sinn for my next, next watch.  Not sure I want a Sinn diver (although the blue U1 is niiiice), but I do like their chronographs.  Anyway, there are worse problems to have.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2020 at 15:14, Teg62x said:

Another vote for Breitling, I love mine. :thumbsup:

B228-AAF5-1-D27-4-AF5-9-B51-4-B04144-E8-

Beautiful :) 

• Thanks 1

Breitling super avenger 2 or a black pelagos on the steel bracelet would be my choice . Both watches are in the same price bracket as the planet ocean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 20/05/2020 at 19:57, Jari37 said:

Thanks all for the replies.  I started out wanting a Black Bay (great watch but couldn't live with no date complication), moved onto a Pelagos (really liked at first, ended up feeling it was too stark), never took to Oris as a brand (appreciate they have good pieces, just never found one I love), have a long history with Longines & am seriously considering a moon phase down the line, Breitling Super Ocean is interesting though, checking it out as we speak.

Really helpful though guys.  Ideally someone will pop up with a nice PO at some point, but it's good to have options.

Just to complicate things, I've also started to get obsessed by Sinn for my next, next watch.  Not sure I want a Sinn diver (although the blue U1 is niiiice), but I do like their chronographs.  Anyway, there are worse problems to have.

I could agree that the black Pelogos is a bit stark, but the Blue or LHD could never be described as stark imho

On 24/05/2020 at 11:03, Porker63 said:

I could agree that the black Pelogos is a bit stark, but the Blue or LHD could never be described as stark imho

I don't mean it in a negative way.  I'm generally a fan of more ascetic, stripped-back design, which I think is what the Pelagos is intended to be.  And it carries it off beautifully imo, but it's not quite hitting the spot for me at the moment.  The Alpina Seastrong is interesting, and I've never come across that before.  But try as I might, I can't muster much enthusiasm for the Breitlings - I don't like the bezel & the dial looks too cluttered for me.

I'm not wanting to go overly blingy (the whole idea is quite new for me tbh), but if there are any other obvious competitors to the PO in terms of a beautiful, non-tooly diver in that price bracket. I'm all ears.  Date complication is important to me, and I do like a black dial.  Just want to check I'm not missing a trick here.

2 hours ago, Porker63 said:

Have you looked at the Glasutte seaQ. This is a lovely watch but may go a bit above the price point?

No, but they look pretty exceptional.  Glashutte is not a brand I am familiar with at all - thanks v. much, another rabbit hole to go down!

I’d also have to say the Superocean Heritage.
Here’s my blue 46mm which is stunning in just about any circumstance (to me anyway)

24d841a313604eb73c95fae780cdaedd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1