• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Tom-HK

Re-setting the hands on my SKX009

I am not having much luck with my SKX009. I got it (new) on-line and it was dead on arrival. Seiko replaced the movement under warranty.

And then, shortly after the warranty window expired, I noticed the watch was losing huge amounts of time and at quite random intervals. Closer inspection revealed that the hands were touching at about the 4.30 part of the dial, causing them to stop until a movement of the wrist prompted them to restart.

I have a reasonable set of watch tools but I haven't got any hand-setting tools. I have a hand puller, though, so I could remove the hands.

Should I invest in a hand-setting tool for this job or could I do it with some tweezers and screwdrivers?

If the hands are reading the correct time.i.e min hand at 12 and hour pointing directly at an hour, then all you should need is a fine pair of tweezers and a steady hand. If you have an eyeglass, you should be able to see which hands are touching. It should be as simple as raising a hand slightly.

if you need further help, give me a shout.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, simon2 said:

If the hands are reading the correct time.i.e min hand at 12 and hour pointing directly at an hour, then all you should need is a fine pair of tweezers and a steady hand. If you have an eyeglass, you should be able to see which hands are touching. It should be as simple as raising a hand slightly.

As above.

12 hours ago, simon2 said:

The hands are all pointing in the correct places. I used tweezers and a screwdriver to gently lift here and press there until I could rotate all the hands completely around the dial (by turning the crown) without their touching each other.

I have wound the watch and am leaving it dial up for a day to see if the problem is solved.

Next project - the click on my ST1901 seems to have slipped or the spring has broken. Either way, there appears to be one heck of a disassembly required just to get to the click. Ah, the joys of lockdown.

Ok, so what may have gone wrong in the adjusting of the hands to send the watch from -13 to -25 seconds per day?

Thisis a worn measurement using a tracking app. My timing machine is set up for quartz watches and I haven't got the microphone necessary to make it work for mechanical watches.

I don't imagine I will be able to improve the rate, given how cack-handed I am, but I am interested, from a technical point of view, to understand the mechanics of what may have gone wrong. I thought I was careful to avoid touching the balance wheel, but I suppose anything near the edge of the movement may have been touched when I put the movement in the holder. Could pushing too hard on the hands cause the rate to slow?

It's -25 dial up, -25 when worn, and -11 dial down.

Thoughts?

Sorry there's not better data on it. I am just interested in what sort of thing might potentially have happened during the hand resetting procedure, but if the list is too long and the data too unhelpful, then I guess there's not much point in speculating.

Edited by Tom-HK