• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Jet Jetski

Weirdest watch thing you do.

From time to time I buy "spares or repair" watches, with some daft idea I can fix whatever it is that is wrong with them.

I bought an Ingersoll with a Smith's TY movement which just needed a new second hand. I did actually have it running outside the case, but when I reassembled it in the case the setting lever screw sheered off.

I'm now on my second donor movement, having already failed with the previous one.

I've done this before with a load of broken Seiko 7t32s, none of which ever worked. Eventually I put the whole lot on eBay for spares and swore I would never do anything like that again.

But I did.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

Freaking out if I discover the bezel has turned, even by just one click. One of many OCD ‘things’ I have, which are for the most part harmless and getting less with techniques I’ve been taught - this one though still really makes me sweat! 

You’d hate my watch box then. My bezels are regularly all over the place :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

yep all bezels aligned, all autos stored at 6 oclock when stopped, and i wipe the inside of the watch , back ,bracelet, strap down with baby wipes to clean them before i put them back in the box :crazy5vh::biggrin:

deano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nobody has mentioned the creepiest thing some of us do.

What sort of person takes photos of his (or her) wrist several times a week, and then spends time editing those photos?

I definitely need one of Mr "one mile an hour's" jackets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, yokel said:

What sort of person takes photos of his (or her) wrist several times a week, and then spends time editing those photos?

Yes, I've often thought that's a bit strange. :rolleyes:

The closest I get to editing is using the crop function in the Flickr app. In the last couple of days the pictures it takes seem to be a lot higher resolution than before and I can't find a way to make the pics smaller, without downloading them to a pc. Hence huge watch face lying in some bizzarre tangled prairie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, yokel said:

7 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Yes, I've often thought that's a bit strange. :rolleyes:

I wholeheartedly agree; in the odd moment of sanity, I realise that this whole 'watch thing' is just plain bonkers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yokel said:

What sort of person takes photos of his (or her) wrist several times a week, and then spends time editing those photos.

And then adds "My watch says hello". :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Shoughie0 said:

Are the watches Accurist's? ... Oh, on closer inspection I see that they are actually Accuankle's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

It does though.

:mad0218:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, deano1956 said:

yep all bezels aligned, all autos stored at 6 oclock when stopped, and i wipe the inside of the watch , back ,bracelet, strap down with baby wipes to clean them before i put them back in the box :crazy5vh::biggrin:

deano

thanks for making me look normal!

• Haha 1

I use a spreadsheet to randomly determine which watch I will wear next. I always look forward to seeing what long forgot gem it throws up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have often bartered to get a few miserable pounds deducted from the price of a watch, only to then spend well over the odds on a particular strap that I have decided I must have to go with it.  I am looking at a strap now on Etsy that, with the postage, will be more than the watch ....

wear my automatic every day and still wind it, which virtually makes the last 200 years since @Jet Jetski bought his first automatic new when he was young boy a phase of obsolete development. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 09:49, sabailand said:

Thanks for the Accurist ad, a good laugh...:yes:

• Like 2

i also obsessively check a perfect crystal for chips and could not care less about dings to the rest of the watch, even though the crystal is a cheap part...conversely when i buy a chipped crystal watch i accept it happily...must be something psychological on my clarity of view on life...  

• Like 1