• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
TDC

Great Find!

Good morning all.

During a cleaning session, my mum found a small red box in the back of a drawer that she had completely forgotten about- it turns out that was supposed to be given to me almost 20 years ago after my grandparents died.  It contains the Omega Geneve that my grandfather was given by his brother-in-law in the early 70's, who was a jeweller of some kind in Hatton Garden back in the 60's.  Having turned the crown a few times it runs, though is no doubt in need of a service!

Anyway- I thought I'd share a few pics, I'm really glad to have it and hoping I may get some use out of it!  Judging by the state of the outside it has had a LOT of use over the years, and after resting for 20 years it's time to get it working again!

20200523-080243.jpg

After a lot of effort I managed to open the caseback- in the end it took 10 minutes of warming on the aga followed by an ice cube on the caseback before it gave in and still took some grunt to get it to shift!

20200523-084406.jpg

I have only done a tiny amount of research but I gather the 552 movement is generally regarded as a good one, although it works the rotor is not exactly "free" spinning as there is some resistance there, I think a service is in order.

20200523-084805.jpg

I'd like to give it a good clean, and find an original type strap for it.  I think it is stainless (unless something else plated silver) so hoping a sympathetic polish will bring it back a little.  The crystal should be fine with a little elbow grease.

Anyway that's all for now- can anyone suggest a good strap that will be close to original?  I've bought straps in the past but more often than not been disappointed by the finish or quality.

Thanks, TC

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, I have just looked on the Omega website and it says the cost of a service (for non-chronograph mechanical) should be £450, by the sound of it this covers component replacement etc if that sounds right?  I'll contact them anyway.

This was a complete surprise, my favorite watch is another of his (my grandfathers) which was his "war watch".  It was posted out to him by his parents as a 21st birthday present whilst he was serving as a desert rat in the Sahara, during the campaign he realised that he had lost it so took a vehicle back to the camp they had just left and couldn't find it anywhere.  He kicked the sand in frustration and lo and behold the watch flew up!  It had a considerable amount of sand inside so I doubt it worked, but sure enough it came back with him and it still works following a service several years ago.  Unfortunately 1. the person who serviced it did not do a great job IMO as the crown has never felt quite right, and 2. we did not ask them to keep the sand that came out of it.  I still have the box for this too with the name of the jeweler who sold it but I couldn't find anything online about them when I last looked.

I very much doubt the watch has any monetary value but as with heirlooms it is priceless to me and will never be sold, here it is, I also have the accompanying note from my grandmother explaining the story etc!

20200523-175043.jpg

All it says on the caseback is J.W.Benson London.  I've never opened it but maybe I should to see if there is anything marked inside!

20200523-175116.jpg

• Like 5

I wouldn't send it to Omega, I would have decent independent give it a service and put a new crystal in it then find a nice leather strap an an Omega buckle - every one of those dings on the case tells a story!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoT said:

I wouldn't send it to Omega, I would have decent independent give it a service and put a new crystal in it then find a nice leather strap an an Omega buckle - every one of those dings on the case tells a story!

What he said.... I sent my Jaquet Droz Landeron chronograph to Richard Askham to get that serviced, highly recommended, can't praise his work and reasonable pricing enough.... His blog HERE, with the work on my JD chronograph...

6 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Did you track down J W Benson? If you're confident about opening the back  up, it would be worth having a look inside to see what the movement is.

https://www.hancocks-london.com/maker/benson%2C-jw/

Thank you very much for that link- a great little read.  Google apparently has 20,700,000 results for J.W.Benson so I'm not sure what I thought I looked for previously :laugh:

The caseback has lots of small flats (like a 16ish sided nut), would this point to it being screw on or are these just detail on a press fit back? 

22 hours ago, JoT said:

+1

11 hours ago, TDC said:

Thank you very much for that link- a great little read.  Google apparently has 20,700,000 results for J.W.Benson so I'm not sure what I thought I looked for previously :laugh:

The caseback has lots of small flats (like a 16ish sided nut), would this point to it being screw on or are these just detail on a press fit back? 

You can buy something like a rubber ball as a watch case opening tool, which could be the way to open it safely.

To be sure, ask in the repair section of the forum.