• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
David Ellis

Roamer Ladies Cocktail Watch

Good Morning,

Please could you assist me with more information on this Ladies Roamer Cocktail watch I recently bought at auction.

It appears to have crystals and are they collectible and does it have any value as I am considering getting it restored.

https://auctions.bryanstonauctioneers.co.za/lots/view/1-2YZA77/roamer-nurses-watch

Thanks 

David

51 minutes ago, David Ellis said:

I am considering getting it restored.

What is wrong with it, that it needs restoring?

4 hours ago, David Ellis said:

Good Morning,

Please could you assist me with more information on this Ladies Roamer Cocktail watch I recently bought at auction.

It appears to have crystals and are they collectible and does it have any value as I am considering getting it restored.

https://auctions.bryanstonauctioneers.co.za/lots/view/1-2YZA77/roamer-nurses-watch

Thanks 

David

Hi David, and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you were the winning bidder, it looks as though you paid the equivalent of about 40 GBP for the watch and I suspect that was pretty much all of the money, if not rather more. Unless I'm missing something about this particular example, the sales listing does not mention any precious metal or stones, and whilst Roamer was a respected brand, Ladies' watches are of little interest, at least within the vintage collectors' market.

Consequently, I'm afraid that even if the movement only required the most basic work by a watchmaker to get it going, the cost of that work would almost certainly exceed any value the watch may have.

Regards.

• Like 1

You're most welcome.

If the watch is intended to be given as a present, then by all means ask a watchmaker (not a jewellery shop or one of these key-cutting/watch repair kiosks) for an estimate to service it. Then you'll be better able to decide how to go forward.

Regards.

If you get stuck. i will service it for you. £45 + parts and return post. hope this helps

It's a nice watch in a nurses style but probably not used by a nurse given the elaborate crystal design. It was probably intended primarily as a costume jewellery piece. If it was me I would take it to a watch repairer and get an estimate for a repair and ultrasonic clean of the brooch and chain.

Is it valuable? Roamer is a mid tier Swiss brand but sadly, as has been mentioned above, there isn't much of a market in this type of watch. Might make a nice gift for the lady in your life if she likes quirky things.

• Like 1

Thanks Jo T,

I will follow your advice and get it repaired. I think it must be a rare model as I have not been able to find a similar one on the net. Anyway, my wife loves it and will enjoy it. Appreciate your response.

• Like 2

Dear @David Ellis, I'm so glad you have decided to repair your Roamer ladies' watch, and I do thank @JoT for his helpful post here above. Your Roamer is from the 1950s and, as John suggested, it would not have been a nurse's watch. These "brooch" or pin-on watches turn up quite frequently but are still relatively uncommon compared to the wrist and pendant varieties of ladies' watch. There are members of the Forum, including myself, who collect and treasure interesting ladies' watches, although the major area for watch collecting is in mens' watches. For me, it seems a travesty that so many women's watches are likely to end up in the bin or, if intrinsically precious, scrapped for cash, so good-on-you for resisting that path with your Roamer. :)

Morning @Always"watching", Thank you, the watch is with with a watchmaker for a repair quote. Being in RSA it may be difficult to find spares, however,if that fails I will send it to Simon in the UK.

I have again tried to find this model on the internet without success. Have you perhaps come across this Roamer model?

• Thanks 1

I reckon that you would be quite hard pressed to find an example of this model again, at least on any reasonable time scale. So enjoy it, and get it ticking again. I'm sure that Simon will do you proud if you can't get the watch repaired where you are.:)