• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Not the sort that grow on an old mans nose, the small furry buggers that ruin lawns. I’ve suffered for a while and they come and go, but I want them to go and stay away. Any one else had a problem with moles? Did you solve the issue and how? And no, a shotgun isn’t the answer lol.  

53 minutes ago, mrbarry said:

Not the sort that grow on an old mans nose, the small furry buggers that ruin lawns. I’ve suffered for a while and they come and go, but I want them to go and stay away. Any one else had a problem with moles? Did you solve the issue and how? And no, a shotgun isn’t the answer lol.  

Easy - dig up the lawn  and lay a great big patio. :whistle:

While you wait for the forum expert, this article might help. Getting a dog or cat appears to be one suggestion.

https://www.pestdefence.co.uk/news/how-to-prevent-and-get-rid-of-moles-in-your-garden/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richy176 said:

Getting a dog 

Yep a good terrier will do a job when they pop their furry little heads up. 

This boy is fearless, he’ll take anything on, big or small and see them off. Although you might have to fill a few holes after he has dug your garden up.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

49952039453_b116158e82_b.jpg

Cats will never sh!t in our gardens 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

the shot gun never worked.nor any  hand   gun.  before they changed the formula of petral,  you could run the vaccum hose to the mole hole from car exhost. Now,  in the US, you can buy a  "mole gas bom".    baned in  UK.   try kerocene.   vin

16 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I have a feeling that @Roger the Dodger will be able to answer this one. I just hope he doesn't mind me recommending him.:biggrin:

Thank you, Honour, I do have an answer, but it comes with a disclaimer right from the start. The mole problem seems to crop up quite regularly and I've done it by PM in the past (for lots of members) because to illustrate the problem fully, there are some pictures later that might offend, so if that applies to you, or anyone else reading this post, do not go past the gap I will create...you have been warned, and I accept no responsibility if you ignore that and go beyond that point in the post....You have been warned...again!

Moles, on the whole are lovely little animals that go about their business and do us no harm. However, when they emerge on our lawns or paddocks, throwing up molehills that can wreck mowers with the stones contained within and spoiling the look of the aforementioned, they become a nuisance. As estate manager, this was one of the more unpleasant tasks I had to perform, but it needed to be done with swift efficiency. There are many folk tales/urban myths about putting mothballs or garlic...even ultrasonic probes in mole runs to deter them, which in the short term, may or may not work. Mole eradication is quite an art, and to do it humanely, it has to be done properly. I learnt about it during my RHS training at the Berkshire College of Agriculture (BCA) many years ago. The best method to eradicate moles is by trapping, and the best traps are the scissor type. When tripped, these break the creatures neck, killing it instantly. The skill comes in placing the trap. It must be put between molehills...never in the hill itself. The skill is to find the tunnel between hills. Probe the earth with a knife or thin stick...when it suddenly drops an inch or so, you know you are in the tunnel. Poke your finger into the hole made by your probe and determine which way the tunnel is running. Once established, with an old knife, make a 90o cut across the tunnel. Make another 90cut the width of the trap, usually about 4" and remove a 4" square section of turf down into the tunnel. Don't make the hole any bigger than the set size of the trap or the mole may be able to move round it. Remove any loose soil and tamp the bottom of the run smooth. Place the set trap in the hole, then cover the hole with dried grass stems, followed by earth from another mole hill to exclude light. You may need to set several traps. Next day, examine them. When set, the handles are together, when tripped, they spread apart. This has just been a swift account of how I did it...there are many tutorials on Youtube. Now there will follow some pics...the final ones will show a mole in the trap, so don't go there if you are squeamish or offended.

The problem...Molehills with stones and other rubbish in them...

Mole

The tools...from L to R...T bar probe for finding the tunnels, old spade handle for smoothing the bottom of the run, knife for cutting out the hole and trowel for clearing soil, and the scissor traps.

Mole

Probing for the tunnel between molehills...use a knife or stick...

Mole

Mole

After finding the tunnel, cut a hole the size of the opened trap across it...

Mole

After removing any loose soil, tamp down the bottom of the run so it's smooth...

Mole

This is the trap set...the mole trips it by running underneath the ring and brushing it with its back...it doesn't put its head through it...

Mole

The trap in the hole...in this pic, the tunnel is running top to bottom...and note, the opened trap should just fit in the hole...

Mole

Now place dried grass around the trap handles to stop earth from falling in and blocking the tunnel...

Mole

...and cover with earth (from another molehill, for instance) to make it dark...

Mole

In the pic above, you can see the handles are together...the trap is set...in the one below, the handles have sprung apart, meaning the trap has been tripped.

Mole

Red alert.

Warning.......the next pics show a dead mole in the trap.....don't go further than this if you will be offended or upset...you have been warned, for the third and final time....

A successful result...instantly killed by having its neck broken.

Mole

Mole

• Thanks 1

Years ago in my last house, we had a big mole problem ( I was going to rephrase that, but decided against - I like the image of a gigantic mole traipsing through the flower beds). Tried all the home remedies, some of which did work but only for a very short time. I then resorted to the scissor traps, caught 2 or 3 moles and then the problem stopped... for about 2 years and they came back. However it was shortly after that we got a dog and 2 cats, which after a week or so of marking their respective territories - the moles left of their own accord. 

• Like 1

I thought this thread might receive a couple of sober and helpful posts. Hmmm, I should have known differently given the sort of humour we have come to expect from certain illustrious members.:biggrin:

Oh, and I love your signature phrase with that clever little fish logo, Rog @Roger the Dodger.:)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Whatever you do, don't try this....pouring petrol down the run...:laughing2dw:

Ha ha, brilliant! :thumbsup:

I was watching this thread hoping for a tip to "discourage" moles rather than kill them, because one appeared in our garden about a week ago.  We won't be killing him, he's far too cute for that, and Ruthie has named him "Mo" so he's more like a member of the family :laugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

Ha ha, brilliant! :thumbsup:

I was watching this thread hoping for a tip to "discourage" moles rather than kill them, because one appeared in our garden about a week ago.  We won't be killing him, he's far too cute for that, and Ruthie has named him "Mo" so he's more like a member of the family :laugh:

I have caught them alive before, by digging. Watch for a molehill heaving up, which means the mole is directly under it, pushing the earth up. Approach very stealthily to avoid spooking the mole, annd the next time you see the earth being pushed up, quickly slide a spade into the soil under the hill and turn it over. Sometimes you will be lucky and turn the mole out, other times, you'll miss and he'll be off down the tunnel like a shot. Wear stout gloves, and if you do turn one out, be ready to grab it quickly, because they can burrow at an astonishing rate. Caught alive like this, they can be safely relocated to a spot where it doesn't matter if they make molehills. Here's a pic of a mole I dug out at work...I'm holding it in my thick rose pruning gloves. He was released into the farmers field next door...

large.Molepics022.jpg.bd519e9afe84f103c80cab848e8ed524.jpglarge.Molepics025.jpg.e0e6f9ec735a8132b2d52c61a32fe1ea.jpg

You could always try the old mothball trick and see if it deters it, but I don't hold out much hope...

I showed Ruthie your pics, and she said Mo is much prettier than that, so we won't be killing him or discouraging him, he's welcome here any time :laugh:

• Haha 1

Some good advice and comedy there. As expected. I have spent many weeks trying to catch one with no luck.
I live opposite a farm and the river runs thru my garden so ideal mole territory unfortunately. The water brings worms that bring moles. The farm over the river has zero moles, the farmer has trapped for decades and is good at it by all accounts. I don’t know him to ask him for any advice but next time I see him out.....  

The only field with mole hills is my side of the river and the farmer doesn’t bother with it it’s too small at about one acre. They come from there into my garden, they can’t come from the other side because a subsidiary of the river runs there. Thus I get mole hills all along the one side of the garden, but some times they pop up in my formal lawn and they have to go. If they would stay on the lower lawn where it’s meadow like grass I would not care. 
I’m from a country background of sorts, and my dad and uncle used to shoot for the National Pigeon and Pest Control. I have shot with them too. I know I know, all gods creatures etc. And yes, I get it. I love to see the wildlife in the garden, we feed the hedgehogs and have feeding stations and shelters for them. We feed the birds and have ducks that are tame now to take food from my palm. I do lots to actively encourage the wild life. If the moles would play ball and not dig in my formal lawn I would even open my arms the them. But they are doing damage so they must go. Much like pigeon damage crops and cost farmers tens of thousands of pounds. 

I have tried digging them out but you have to be lucky to get there as they are digging and 4 times I have failed. 

I have tried Duffus half barrel traps but they are useless for me at least. 

Scissor traps I have set time and time again but they get bulldozed with soil or the mole simply digs under them. The scissor trap you show is an old design and from my reading much, much better than the new traps, the differences are clear when you look at them. I am going to alter mine somewhat to match them. 

I have very sandy soil so the mole always tunnels 4-12 inches deep making a Victor spring trap useless for my needs. I have been told Putange traps are good in sandy soil so may try those next. 

Incidentally my dads name was Roger, he was a bit of a Dodger too lol. 

last of all I’ll say two things and you will all make the same leap of thought:

Moles (Jasper Carrot)

Chandeliers (Only Fools and Horses)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

I showed Ruthie your pics, and she said Mo is much prettier than that, so we won't be killing him or discouraging him, he's welcome here any time :laugh:

You won't be saying that when he's dug your lawn up...:laughing2dw: and you're raking the molehills flat for the umpteenth time...:taz:

Not just mole hills. The long ruts that develop in the lawn where the tunnels collapse leaving you twisting your ankle when you step in one. The brown zig zag lines of dead grass in hot weather because there is no soil below to feed the roots in that run. The stones that damage the mower blades and cost a fortune to replace so once over sharpened due to regular sharpening. Not to mention that they carry TB like badgers and you are advised to be wary of handling the soil they disturb unless wearing gloves, that’s a low risk admittedly but it’s a fact. They can also cause subsidence to houses and outbuildings by undermining the foundations. They ain’t cute then. 

• Haha 1