• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi all, I found these models whilst looking in a storage box under one of our spare beds. I have 4 & all are recognisable as being actual aircraft from WW2. I claimed them whilst helping to clear out my Grandad's house after he'd died. He was an engineer - I've no idea who he worked for - & he had a garage full of old tools/equipment as well as a pre-war Lancia. This was pretty dilapidated but was probably still worth 1000's! I've no clue what happened to it & my Mum isn't around to ask now. I could have learnt so much from him but I didn't have much interest in engineering (or anything else really) whilst he was alive which is something I now look back on with regret :( My Mum's brother was deaf & I remember being told that he worked at Rolls Royce & his deafness was due to working on/near running Merlin engines. I've no idea if this is true or not & I may just have been told this as a way of impressing a young lad.  

I've no clue as the history of the models but I have a feeling that my Grandad may have cast them at home. I was young & banned from going in his garage when he was alive, but even if I had been allowed in I wouldn't have known what I was looking at (apart from the car)! I remember that the garage always being locked but I do remember looking through cracks in the door, & very grimy windows, & just being able to see the car & lots of dusty shelves/rusty tools. Even if I had been allowed in he wasn't well enough to show me around & explain what was what. Shame that we'll probably never know now :( 

Anyway I digress - as I said I have 4 of these models: Beaufighter, Hurricane, Wellington bomber & Mosquito fighter. The first three are all polished, & look pretty good as a result, but the Mosquito is quite rough & I'm going to have to have a go at polishing it at some point. I've ordered some 4mm bar & I'm going to try & make some stands for them, if successful I'll display them as they're far too nice to live in a box under a bed!

:thumbs_up:

4W5Pd8d.jpg

Ni6kkvH.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biker said:

I'd Like to see the others

Here you go. As you can see the Wellington & Mosquito are much smaller than the Hurricane & Beaufighter. None are what you'd called detailed but the Wellington & Beaufighter have the most with some cockpit & engine cowl detail being evident. I've no idea if there was more & it's been polished out over the years - the models must be well over 60 years old by now. The standout (for me) is the Hurricane in that it has a real sense of motion/speed/flight. It helps that it's on a stand, & not just sitting on the desk, but it's the lack of detail which goes a long way to creating this illusion. It's just the shape of a Hurricane (in 3D) really & it's a lovely thing (I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well) :laugh: :) 

zpXdjtO.jpg

8P76S8a.jpg

763qWnV.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They look like car Bonnet mascots (Or copies poured in aluminium) to me, I have one somewhere that's brass with chrome plating on that's pretty much worn away!, It didn't hekp the plating when we used it as a pattern to make a few copies in the foundry where I work!! :D 

I'll see if I can find it and take a few pics :thumbsup:

John :)

They are so cool, that mozzy will look splendid once it's buffed up. :thumbs_up:

On 02/06/2020 at 10:50, johnbaz said:

They look like car Bonnet mascots (Or copies poured in aluminium) to me, I have one somewhere that's brass with chrome plating on that's pretty much worn away!, It didn't hekp the plating when we used it as a pattern to make a few copies in the foundry where I work!! :D 

I'll see if I can find it and take a few pics :thumbsup:

They could be I suppose but don't think they are. The Beaufighters wingspan is 240mm (9 1/2 inches) to give you some idea of it's size, whilst the Hurricane's a fair bit smaller than that at 170mm. The Mosquito & Wellington are much smaller (don't have them to hand so can't measure them) & could be used as car mascots but most car mascots are stylized creations & not recognisable WW2 aircraft. I have a Jaguar bonnet mascot & it's very nice - will post a photo of it when I get chance.

There are similar models on Ebay & I'm watching a Vulcan bomber. Prices vary & some are 100's if not 1000's of pounds/dollars (they're pretty special though) so way out of my pocket. It'd be nice to add to the collection though :) 

I bought some 4mm bar (2 x brass & 2 x steel approx 30cm long) off eBay & found a block of aluminium in the garage (we used to have a D&T dept at work & I snaffled some of the metal stock that was being thrown out when the dept closed) & have made a stand for the Beaufighter. There's still a bit to do in that I could do with polishing the aluminium block (maybe) & trying to make the plane more secure on the stand but it works OK as it is & I quite like the contrast between the brass & the 2 different alloy finishes (polished plane/rough block). I've stuck some felt to the bottom of the block to prevent scratches.  The hole on the front of the block contains a broken drill bit (:( :taz:) so I could do with something to cover that - a name plate maybe??

Not sure the photos do it justice really :( 

Forgot to say that I've had a go at polishing the Mosquito & it looks a lot better but needs more work before it's presentable enough to put on a stand :thumbs_up:

Szr2MJN.jpg

ys0n5DC.jpg

DwTBxGq.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 3

How much of the drill is in there, perhaps a wee slice off the block?

I traded an air rifle then realised months later that there was only one forend screw in so I stripped it and thought there was a broken in setscrew!

Turned out that someone had tried cleaning the threads with a tap and maybe hadn't realised they were at the end of the hole and kept turning the tap!! :mad0218:

I got it out by making a hole straight through with a thin diamond burr in the Dremel type tool!, Once i'd got right through I tapped it with a parallel punch and broke it in to bits, It hadn't damaged the threads and it has two nice shiney SS screws in now!! 

Two of the flutes that let the cuttings come out can be seen here, I was almost through!

YHeQsXw.jpg

I ran one of my taps through just in case the threads were damaged but there was no resisitance so they were clear!

sWwrXz5.jpg

I put an old blued Allen screw in until I got a couple of Stainless ones from work!

hTay96X.jpg

Good luck with shifting the broken drill bit, Diamond burrs really do a good job if all else fails :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Biker said:

How much of the drill is in there, perhaps a wee slice off the block?

Most of it unfortunately :( I was drilling at an angle with a hand drill & was nearly at the end of the drill flutes before it snapped! I thought the table on my pillar drill could be set at an angle but it turns out that it can't (hence me using a hand drill) otherwise I would have drilled the hole with that. I'll have a go at shifting when I have the time. I'm pretty sure there are some diamond burrs in with my Dremel &/or die grinder. I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

Edited by pauluspaolo

Aluminium and brass are both buggers to drill.  Slow penetration with lubrication for the win!

13 hours ago, Biker said:

Aluminium and brass are both buggers to drill.  Slow penetration with lubrication for the win!

I tend to just go for it but duly noted for next time :thumbs_up:

What a great thread! I have only just spotted it and many thanks to @pauluspaolo and everyone else who has contributed to it; I was interested from start to finish as it developed.

I have written a few articles on the Forum about World War 2 aircraft, and have enjoyed researching them. I have been tempted myself to buy an aircraft  model or two, but the problem would be which particular aircraft would I go for, and once I start collecting them, would I be able to stop?:biggrin: 

Thanks for that Paulus. I'm afraid the idea of a model "kit" frightens me to death. I watched my older brother skilfully putting  Airfix kits together as a child but whenever I myself tried the same activity, I had terrible "glue control" and could never get the transparent aircraft canopies to be transparent, without glue marks. Indeed, I have never had very good eye-hand coordination or fine motor skills; not a good omen for watch collecting, I know. I think I would need to buy my models already made; perhaps a few diecast examples of my favourite aircraft.:)

Not sure but there might be snap together kits available now which don't need glue. Might be something worth investgating? I used to enjoy making models in my youth but the closest I get to it now is to do the occasional Star Wars metal miniature model. Done the millenium falcon, tie fighter & snowspeeder up to now but have an x-wing fighter on the go (photo when it's finished). I like the finished results but find them very fiddly to make - they do look good though :)

Kit building is a dormant hobby of mine, got a fair wee pile in the 'waiting room'  mainly submarines and sailing ships