• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Dell

New but into clocks

I have just posted and realised I hadn’t introduced myself, my eyes are not good enough to repair watches, I am into torsion clocks although I even have trouble with the midget ones but I persevere, I have about 20 the wife keeps saying no more but I tell her I can’t hear her as I don’t have my hearing aids in, I also like practicing with the lathe hopefully getting better.

Dell

• Like 2

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup: Although my main interest is in watches, over the years I have restored a Richard Winch long case clock, and more recently, a 400 day anniversary clock that needed a new suspension wire for the rotating pendulum. The threads and pics are available through the search system.

• Like 1

Hi Roger

thanks for the welcome, all I do is 400 day/ anniversary clocks, I have some quite rare ones but getting harder to find.

Can’t find out how to add pictures or I would of posted a couple.

Dell

Welcome to the Forum, Dell'' @Dell. As soon as I hear the term, "anniversary clock" or "torsion clock" my heart begins to fail, even though I did actually write a topic for this Forum a while back on these "wretched" devices which you may like to look up and read.:laugh:

Only joking! Well, half joking... I admire ANYONE who has the patience to repair, restore, and above all adjust this sort of clock to get it working perfectly and keeping good time.:)

Here's a link to my Bentima anniversary clock project...I hope you will look at it and find it interesting....of course, any hints or tips you can give me will be gratefully recieved...we can all still learn. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bentima didn’t make torsion clocks they only purchased then from various manufacturer’s Your clock is probably 60/70’s , and I don’t know why people say they are bad to work on, as long as they are cleaned and there is no friction in the power train or any where else and NOT OILED, the only place I oil is the mainspring, when they are put in beat with the correct length and correct torsion spring  it should run although I do sometimes have problems it’s usually something silly I have missed ( I put it down to age ), the thing I don’t like very much is some of my clocks the spring is not in the guide so I have to use a spring with educated guess work and then thin it , as you will agree having fitted one to your clock they are already very thin so thinning it further would be not the easiest job.

your clock looks good I just wish I could find out how to upload a few pictures to show you some of my clocks.

But on another note I find I need to convert my pedal operated lathe to hand speed control with something like a voltage control, but I will start a new topic if you can help please check the other post.

Dell

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dell said:

Bentima didn’t make torsion clocks they only purchased then from various manufacturer’s Your clock is probably 60/70’s , and I don’t know why people say they are bad to work on, as long as they are cleaned and there is no friction in the power train or any where else and NOT OILED, the only place I oil is the mainspring

your clock looks good I just wish I could find out how to upload a few pictures to show you some of my clocks.

Thanks for the tip on not oiling the clock. I might take it apart again and remove the oil from the pivots.

Regarding posting pics, you need to upload yours to a third party hosting site such as Imgur, Flickr, etc., or join the gallery here (annual fee of £5...about 1.3p per day). This is because the forum needs a URL to display your pics. More about it in the pinned topic at the top of the Watch Discussion section.

Paid the fiver give the forum a bit extra .

This is a French torsion clock made by Grivolas 1908 with a French movement because due to a dispute with another manufacturer they had to stop using there own movement until settled they used German movements from various manlarge.9D17A845-FDBF-4071-8FB9-32A9DED2843D.jpeg.a98738829bf4939a7f52bd17b4540aec.jpegufacturers 

This one is a Gustav Becker 1906 the one in the oak not the small one .large.D6C7E4C3-58D4-4C46-B3C7-40BEDD4EC4E7.jpeg.794395240b52ba3a6c0c4a9859500723.jpeg

I have about 18/20 others.

Dell

• Thanks 1

Fabulous clocks, Dell...and remember, now that your pics are hosted here, you can also copy and paste them into any other forum you might visit...just R click on the image you need and then click 'copy image'...then in your next post either here or elsewhere, R click and click 'paste'...job done. :thumbsup: