• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The Nick Parr 1977 Mega Searching For a Watch Thread

Hi All, I’ve posted a few times and got great answers, so still looking for a watch max 3500, was looking Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 46mm or Omega Seamaster 44mm chronograph. 

i do like some of the larger Oris, dipped my toe looking at Tag Heuer but they are smaller sizes. 

i see posts on other brands, I just can’t pull myself away from the omega and Breitling, can’t get into Longines, Ball or other such brands, am I just being a brand snob and am I missing other quality brands?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nick if I was in your position (and I have been many times and gone over my budget many times too!) I’d be thinking to myself what a wonderful predicament this is to be in.   Having x amount of money

I love my Navitimer at 41mm but I know they also do a lot of 46mm. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does nobody buy a watch because primarily they like it. ? My boxes are full of things I like, not by what they're worth or how much they will depreciate. 

Posted Images

As @scottswatches says  --  no harm in being attracted to only a few watches.

Also, not much harm in a bit of non-malicious brand snobbery  --  but bear in mind that there are quite a few names "at least as prestigious" as Omega and Breitling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

See I looked at IWC but didn’t like the style, what other brands would you say. 

dont get me wrong my daily is a G-Shock mudmaster and I love it, big and I can’t break or damage it, and I can break and damage anything so it’s just snobbery when I’m spending 3500 as I will want to sell and upgrade at some point and the Breitling, Omega and Tag seem the top value for preowned

Don't forget the Germans... Muhle Glashutte, Union Glashutte, Nomos, Damasco, Sinn will all be in price range.

And some secondhand offerings from the more exclusive (shall we say) Swiss makers such as AP, GP, JLC, Blancpain, Zenith, Chopard, 

And oddballs, such as Panerai, Parmigiani, Grand Seiko

Vintage stuff like Heuer, Rolex...

There's aboslutely no reason at all to consider it brand snobbery for liking Omega and Breitling, they both make superb watches

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, krissy1301 said:

I love my Navitimer at 41mm but I know they also do a lot of 46mm.
6822a48475ac207ce845aa1589ebe1d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers nice

1 hour ago, relaxer7 said:

Yep I like a Breitling too and a Super Avenger might be up your street from what you’ve said. 

B48EA5DC-D0F6-41F9-8923-D98557006B7B.png

I’d looked at these, didn’t they do a limited edition as well

If you like a watch, you like a watch.

If you rejected a watch BECAUSE it was a Longines then I'd say you were discounting a very good quality watch for a rather arbitrary (possibly snobbish) reason. If however you were discounting Longines because none of their designs attract you then I'd say you're OK (I have to say that as I desperately want to love Longines, they have a great heritage and their watches are well priced but I just dislike the way they look ).

There are a huge number of 'mid-tier' brands that provide immense bang for the buck my main issue is that they are hampered by being owned by conglomerates such as Swatch or Richemont. I would suggest that Longines and Baume et Mercier (for example) are designed and marketed to be less attractive than say Omega and IWC even though B-et-M have a longer history than IWC.

Omega has the distinction of being Swatchs 'premier' brand (setting aside the haute horologie companies like Breguet and Jaquet Droz) so Longines would be designed to be 'sub' Omega. Breitling until recently was an independent, they are now owned by an investment firm which AFAICT has no other watch brands in its portfolio so again there is no pressure to compromise to avoid cannibalizing sales from further up the tree.

I love finding watches that have interesting movement, histories or looks that aren't in the mainstream. This allows me to wear something that is interesting but can be found 'cheap' this has sparked my love of 2 brands, Ulysse Nardin and Eterna. UN is an almost Haute Horology brand whos watches plummet in value 2nd hand the sheer amount of bargain you can get for not a lot is amazing - for instance given your budget I'd be all over something like

11328012_zoom_v1559124683544.jpg

for 3k 2nd hand

Eterna does some lovely quirky watches also and the Kontiki is probably something I'll be after soon - but will it be the 1000m diver, the flyback chrono or a gmt? or maybe I'll save longer for the above UN diver - god that's lovely.

You're tastes may differ but for 3.5k I'd be on chrono 24 researching the hell out of what's out there...

• Thanks 1

I am a bit of a brand snob for the following reason...   I used to work in a pawnbrokers and tell people everyday how much money their watch has lost. 

Now my brand loyalties and preferences were built in the 90s and early 00s and thus I tend not to like the more recent brands... 

I prefer omega to Breitling by a long way and I prefer Brietling to Tag by an equally large margin.  In my head I have a pretty strong feeling of hierarchy between the brands and in each brand I have a heirachy of models...  A Breitling Navitimer jumps well above the level of most Breitlings.

As I said on another thread I would go for a blue chip brand as a new collector, something known with a decent history.   It's not to say you won't lose money on it but as least if you need to sell it then it's going to be possible... Get something really obscure and you might be waiting forever if you ever want to move it on. 

I won't bore you will my full list of preferences but I know which watches spoke to me in the past, which were a nightmare, which I made profit on an which were losses.  

IWC is an exceptionally hard sell yet it is a very well respected brand... Kind of an oxymoron, I could suffer a vintage watch from them but I wouldn't be recommending much of their more current stuff. 

1 hour ago, julian2002 said:

If you like a watch, you like a watch.

If you rejected a watch BECAUSE it was a Longines then I'd say you were discounting a very good quality watch for a rather arbitrary (possibly snobbish) reason. If however you were discounting Longines because none of their designs attract you then I'd say you're OK (I have to say that as I desperately want to love Longines, they have a great heritage and their watches are well priced but I just dislike the way they look ).

There are a huge number of 'mid-tier' brands that provide immense bang for the buck my main issue is that they are hampered by being owned by conglomerates such as Swatch or Richemont. I would suggest that Longines and Baume et Mercier (for example) are designed and marketed to be less attractive than say Omega and IWC even though B-et-M have a longer history than IWC.

Omega has the distinction of being Swatchs 'premier' brand (setting aside the haute horologie companies like Breguet and Jaquet Droz) so Longines would be designed to be 'sub' Omega. Breitling until recently was an independent, they are now owned by an investment firm which AFAICT has no other watch brands in its portfolio so again there is no pressure to compromise to avoid cannibalizing sales from further up the tree.

I love finding watches that have interesting movement, histories or looks that aren't in the mainstream. This allows me to wear something that is interesting but can be found 'cheap' this has sparked my love of 2 brands, Ulysse Nardin and Eterna. UN is an almost Haute Horology brand whos watches plummet in value 2nd hand the sheer amount of bargain you can get for not a lot is amazing - for instance given your budget I'd be all over something like

11328012_zoom_v1559124683544.jpg

for 3k 2nd hand

Eterna does some lovely quirky watches also and the Kontiki is probably something I'll be after soon - but will it be the 1000m diver, the flyback chrono or a gmt? or maybe I'll save longer for the above UN diver - god that's lovely.

You're tastes may differ but for 3.5k I'd be on chrono 24 researching the hell out of what's out there...

Longines is because I can’t find one I like the look of, thanks for the reply I’m going to look those up

Is it me or does it seem that the supply of preowned watches is slow, looking at Breitling, Omega, Tag and going over the main preowned sites and there is very little coming through? Is it just the wrong time due to everything going off

All three brands are good. For resale values just look at `sold' listings on ebay or asking prices on chrono24. re there specific models from each brand that you like?

There may be, however stamping my feet and spitting out my dummy, not the ones I like.

for the price I want to pay, max 3500, but feeling this is far too much and should pick cheaper models but then think if I’m going to spend then spend it. 

could I be un decisive 

44mm omega Seamaster chrono, 46mm Superocean heritage but can’t decide black, blue, chronograph or not, tag Carrera, open to other brands but these are the style, think the super avenger 2 may be too blingy, I have an 8 inch watch. 

I feel I need to go and see them but no where open plus the prices are all over the place

21 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

44mm omega Seamaster chrono, 46mm Superocean heritage but can’t decide black, blue, chronograph or not, tag Carrera, open to other brands but these are the style, think the super avenger 2 may be too blingy, I have an 8 inch watch. 

I feel I need to go and see them but no where open plus the prices are all over the place

I think, you certainly need to go and see them, and try them all on etc....seeing as youve quite a selection you want.

It’s just such a lot of money and I’m struggling to find something cheaper which is as good, also am I going to look like a prat wearing one, i like some Oris models but again need to see them your right, cheers marley

See also with the Oris, not spending that much less say 2k but the value will drop quicker than spending day 3k 

See also with the Oris, not spending that much less say 2k but the value will drop quicker than spending day 3k

so for example the new 48 mm Oris chronograph with blue dial 2800 new, 200 more gets me the super ocean heritage or the omega pre owned, they will both hold value where the Oris will drop 

Bremont make great, solid watches definitely on a par with Omega and Breitling in my experience/opinion.  But never pay full price and that goes for all three of those brands.  They will all lose 30-40% when pre-owned.