• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I was told recently that most watches can be damaged by repeated wear when hitting a golf ball. Is this true? Are there watches that are safe to wear for sports like golf as I play often and often wear a watch to play. 

• Like 1

I really couldnt say as im not a golfer, im not saying them who told you are wrong, but personally i cant see how swinging and hitting a golf ball any number of times in a day can damage it. :huh:

13 minutes ago, Andrew0409 said:

I was told recently that most watches can be damaged by repeated wear when hitting a golf ball. Is this true? Are there watches that are safe to wear for sports like golf as I play often and often wear a watch to play. 

I’ve heard the same advice. Would be interesting to see what the pros think...

10 minutes ago, sabailand said:

I really couldnt say as im not a golfer, im not saying them who told you are wrong, but personally i cant see how swinging and hitting a golf ball any number of times in a day can damage it. :huh:

The shock of impact as you hit the golf ball over and over again. Average swing speed is almost 100mph, many go way above that. Thats a lot of G force in acceleration and deceleration. 

• Like 1

Wear a G-Shock.

There are a huge amount of forces transferred through the hand and wrist when a ball is struck. The club is designed to transfer as much energy as possible, but I am sure that many golfers have suffered at one time with a sore wrist which shows just what amount of energy that goes through the wrist.

I don't play golf, but personally I wouldn't wear a watch that had any type of balance wheel even though most have an antishock system.

Wear a G-Shock.  :biggrin:

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

I’d wear an auto... and not bother with the golf. 

I own golf clubs, but realising how bad I would always be I decided that I never try again.

My golf bag and clubs are in the shed, the bag is like a spider hotel. 

Wilson Nick Faldo clubs from the 1980's, apparently collectable...the spiders seem to like them :biggrin:

• Haha 2

I've worked with heavy plant most of my life involving a lot of big hammer swinging possible causing more shock transfer than hitting a golfball. Seiko 5's took the task admirably.

large.large.IMG_20161230_1226265_rewind.jpg.0d438a2fcb7678309470a5ba522f965f.jpg.8a0e00bdcba57090265b4f1aff20884e.jpglarge.IMG_20200427_101340479.jpg.42aa4aaa4ea3770ab0e123f085831066.jpg

this old Rotary has also endured some serious abuse well.

I would be quite ironical if Rolex, Omega, et all, who sponsor golf to the tune of millions, were selling high value watches that wouldn't stand up to what they're sponsoring. Think about it.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, WRENCH said:

It would be quite ironical if Rolex, Omega, et all, who sponsor golf to the tune of millions, were selling high value watches that wouldn't stand up to what they're sponsoring. Think about it.

Richard Mille and AP watches are worn by Nadal and Warwrinka respectively when they play tennis. Most of the players sponsored by Rolex only slip their ones on for the post match photo shoot. :whistle: Never checked if golfers wear watches.

• Thanks 1
On 06/06/2020 at 10:34, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

c65774bffea0d1cc914d783c50787939.jpg

I can't make out what watch this guy is wearing as I am blinded by his trousers. :blind:

Big John Daley

Probably the longest hitter in the game when he was on form

If anyone can put a watch to the test it was him

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hello, I strongly recommend not using a mechanical watch (manual/automatic) to play golf. With each sudden movement of your arm you inflict violent “shocks” on your balance wheel. This could cause an advance, a delay or even the stop of your watch in certain cases. In a mechanical watch there are enormous pressures equivalent to a locomotive on a rail, which is why for any sporting activity I recommend the use of an appropriate watch such as a quartz or a connected watch. And just for you to know, if you bang your fist on the table, the watch can receive up to 900 G-force !

Ivan

Pretty much any quartz watch would do the trick. Buy a cheap one & if it is damaged you will not care that much. Most of the golfers pictured above are sponsored so also don't really care if the watch they wear is damaged. This is only my opinion. I however would not wear an expensive watch whilst playing golf.

No watch is 100% resonance proof. "Shock" to a watch is usually envisaged as impact/sudder movements but in reality the real problem is resonant frequencies that vibrate through the watch. NO watch is really "golf-proof" ....