• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ummm.. When did Steinhart slip from homage into parody?

On 07/06/2020 at 17:39, Nickshangs said:

The second pic is not a steinhart right? Steinhart is one homage brand that I actually respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did I until they put submersible on the dial, like other non-respected homage brands - for me it is a reference too far ....

On 07/06/2020 at 17:39, Nickshangs said:

Steinhart is one homage brand that I actually respect

Respect is not a word I would use for a homage brand even if they do make quite good quality watches, they have their place I suppose but far too many of their homages are little more than copies

• Like 3

Steinhart are a respected brand in their own right. The idea they only make homage watches is wrong as otherwise any respected copy of a black bezel steel automatic watch with a date gets called a homage.  

Any watch maker is entitled to put anything they want on their dials as long as it doesn't breach copyright and I'm not sure the second watch in your posting is a Steinhart. 

So your point is? 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, ong said:

Steinhart are a respected brand in their own right. The idea they only make homage watches is wrong as otherwise any respected copy of a black bezel steel automatic watch with a date gets called a homage.  

Any watch maker is entitled to put anything they want on their dials as long as it doesn't breach copyright and I'm not sure the second watch in your posting is a Steinhart. 

So your point is? 

1 hour ago, JoT said:

even if they do make quite good quality watches

The second watch is not a Steinhart - it is a brand that in my opinion takes the notion of homage to a level of parody by using the term 'submarine' on the dial, and I think Steinhart has sunk to the same level - therefore I show it as a comparison, that is why they are side by side.  If they think people need to be reminded that a watch is a Sub homage, or might feel some kinship with a real Sub just because it has a similar word on the dial, then I think they both insult the intelligence of the buyer.

I am not against homages carte blanche, and there are many many iterations of, for instance, the Datejusts or Railmasters to name a couple that look OK; but in my opinion homages start to feel 'plastic' - ie the imitation overbears the art - when they also start to copy or imitate the verbiage on the dial: Technical descriptions - e.g. Automatic, number of jewels, WR, fair enough, but with the branding I think they have dipped too far into the realm of the copyist and the flatterer, and are nestled up against Hyakuichi, who make the second watch.  The crassness subverts the quality, and they have made a new bedfellow of cheaper brands totally devoid of craft.  That is my point.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I think Steinhart has sunk to the same level - therefore I show it as a comparison, I think they both insult the intelligence of the buyer.

Says the man with a Chinese Railmaster ‘homage’ ?

:OyVey:

• Haha 2

I must get the "Perlative" on my Ceronometer calibrated, just as well the "Nomenclature" adorning the dial reminded me of this whilst reading this post.

uu6yti26nkz11.jpg

Incidentally, Rolex do a good job, just in case you forget what you've bought.

Rolex-Submariner-Steel-Black-Face-2-scal

:laughing2dw:

Edited by WRENCH
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Says the man with a Chinese Railmaster ‘homage’ ?

:OyVey:

"I am not against homages carte blanche, and there are many many iterations of, for instance, the Datejusts or Railmasters to name a couple that look OK; "

said the man with a Railmaster homage

- I would feel differently about it if it said "Railmiser" on the dial  :laughing2dw:

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Incidentally, Rolex do a good job, just in case you forget what you've bought.

Rolex-Submariner-Steel-Black-Face-2-scal

:laughing2dw:

see:  

"Don't really care about your choice of book, and if you have a Rolex, then that dial should be enough reading material for a few days, by the time you have sounded all the words out a few times."

I have three Steinhart watches, two of which I never wear. The one I do  wear,

large.15916941436712615507406990870432.jpg.c366719e39496d39df744e6fe02e3a36.jpg

I shouldn't  have bought along with the rest of them and bought a Stowa, which is what I really wanted,

probezeit_stowa_tourby_-12.jpg

but I suspect we are all "guilty" of similar.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I have three Steinhart watches, two of which I never wear. The one I do  wear,

large.15916941436712615507406990870432.jpg.c366719e39496d39df744e6fe02e3a36.jpg

I shouldn't  have bought along with the rest of them and bought a Stowa, which is what I really wanted,

probezeit_stowa_tourby_-12.jpg

but I suspect we are all "guilty" of similar.

Well I was saving for a Railmaster until  Covid struck and I decided that a) the time to save would not necessarily be afforded to me and b) the time to get some value out of it might not be afforded me either.  Sold nearly all my quartz watches over the £300 mark - kept one I really like (Shinola) and another one has something funny going on with the crown positions that doesn't phase me but would be difficult to describe on eBay!

Planning to get down to 40 watches, half of those will be Russian, half a dozen each in my technology and curiosity boxes, and the remainder the watches I have worn down the years and a couple of recent favourites.  Even my EB Holton Professional has gone! I need to pick up the pace though because I do have six incoming.  Wait! Wha?

Have to agree that although Steinhart make some nice watches, they also make some blatant copies of the Rolex sub, and for me that just ruins the Steinhart brand. So you want to make a dive watch - do you really have to rip off the Rolex dial and indices? Look at Christopher Ward. They've taken some elements from other brands, but the overall look is something unique.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, russelk said:

Have to agree that although Steinhart make some nice watches, they also make some blatant copies of the Rolex sub, and for me that just ruins the Steinhart brand. So you want to make a dive watch - do you really have to rip off the Rolex dial and indices? Look at Christopher Ward. They've taken some elements from other brands, but the overall look is something unique.

Yema too